“Hotel Savoy” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Hotel Savoy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was my first trip to South Beach and it will not be my last. The Savoy Hotel is a true gem. The accommodations are great and the staff was truly wonderful. We received great shopping and dining recommendations from the staff and we found that the pool and beach were super.

Room Tip: We were located on the second floor. Although the rooms are not enormous, they were just fine for t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Finnish first
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I Really wanted to be in love with this place but it feels like the hotel is content with letting its beautiful pool area and beach accessibility be its selling point, rather than consistent service and better-maintained amenities. I spent hours combing through the "Excellent" "Average" and "Terrible" TripAdvisor reviews and spent nearly $700 on my Pool View suite reservation back in February so I was ready to be amazed!... Amazed, I was not, however, but it wasn't all bad. I'll start with the staff.
First, it seems like the lowest ranked hotel employees were the most approachable and the most knowledgeable. Juan and Lacey at the Bar were Standouts for their professionalism. Juan makes a tasty mojito and Lacey's suggestion of the breakfast burrito was some of the best advice I'd gotten from a Savoy employee. I owe a huge debt to Michael at the valet as well for pointing me in the direction of Puerto Sagua (great ropa vieja)! At the pool Rocky had me rolling with his wit. I should have gotten the names of the bellmen and housekeepers as they too were friendly and very helpful.
This was all in very stark contrast to the conduct of the daytime front desk staff, who couldn't give any assistance in terms of finding places to eat or visit and didn’t even bother to point out the kiosk hidden behind a plant at the front desk that provide that information. I was especially disappointed by Yvonne, who was the second Savoy staff person I’d met. As a customer service representative myself, I totally get how hard that job can be and I am the last person in the world who would tell you I am good at what I do, but I even I could have done a better job of checking in guests than she did. No eye contact. Flat, condescending tone of voice. Generally disrespectful young lady. I had to tell her “good afternoon” before she did in order for her to greet me. Massive failure for a front-of-the-house staff member. I avoided walking past or even calling down to the front desk while she was working (Tuesday afternoon/evening shift June 25) because she made me feel as I was wasting her time when I asked her a question. She was just as rude to other lower-ranking staff as well (seemed pretty chummy with one of the Valets, though), even snapping at one of the bellmen who’d also made the mistake of asking her a question. I’ve honestly gotten better front desk service at a Holiday Inn. I would never ask that someone be fired and it is possible June 25th was just a bad day to be Yvonne. Still I think she would be better suited in a position FAR away from the front desk if she is to be retained as an employee at the Savoy.
Now to the rest. $32 night valet is reasonable in any city so take advantage of that. I got my money’s worth out of the $15 resort fee, spending hours on my two beach chairs and sipping mimosas on the sand. Ahhh, indeed that was one of the high points of my stay here. My two room pool suite with a separate kitchenette and TWO balconies in the original wing of the hotel was impressive, though there were some clear signs of wear that shouldn't be visible in a room that costs this much to rent. I looked just as it did in the pictures which is always a plus! I had two flat screen tvs and a comfy bed. The light in the shower was out though and I don’t know why there was a rust/wear stain on the rim of the bathroom sink but its there (room 223). Additionally, there were no pots, or cups provided that would allow me to use the two-burner stove-top. There were also no utensils provided that would allow me to use the 4 plates that were provided. Had I planned to fix something for myself or my kids, I’d would have been out of luck.

This is was the kind of thing that perplexed me about the Savoy. Why would the hotel have amenities that can’t be fully used other than for the sake of being able to say they were available? Why not divert this same effort toward having staff on the floor of the restaurant during dining hours so people know that the place is actually open? How about tidying up that closet-space of a gym? Fixing the two lights that were out in the shallow pool wouldn't hurt. Having some kind of live entertainment on the pool deck or restaurant would make the Savoy feel less institutional like another reviewer described it and more like the South Beach destination it markets itself as, which is crucial since the Savoy is actually 3 blocks away from the true SoBe nightlife (which makes for a great night’s sleep for parents and solo travelers like me). Still, those factors should encourage the Savoy management to make itself much more competitive to other travelers who would need a reason to stay anywhere other than the actual ArtDeco district. It’s important to note that this is not the only hotel with beach access in SoBe, as the Hilton is a few blocks south of this property, and the Lowes and The W, while a few blocks north of the Art Deco district, are on Collins Ave and closer to Lincoln Road and other destinations that SoBe travelers want to see. AND they have beach access and late night on-site dining options too.
As a budget traveler who is still wondering if she fully got her nearly $700 worth out of her stay, I am paying close attention to both the competition and my cash when it comes to making a return to SoBe and while that room was very spacious and that resort fee very reasonable, I can’t say if that’s enough to justify another stay here...not at full price anyway.

Room Tip: Get a Pool or Ocean View suite on top-floor to avoid street and room noise, both of which are minima...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Jillian,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your recent stay here at The Savoy Hotel.

We are very happy that you enjoyed the beach & pool area, your spacious pool view suite and the interactions you had with our restaurant & pool service staff. It sounds like you had a restful trip to South Beach!

We regret to hear the comments you had regarding one of our Front Desk associates. It is quite surprising as Yvonne has consistently received very positive guest compliments and has performed very well since she started working here. She is liked and respected by her colleagues and we are sorry that you felt that the service she provided you was not up to your standard.

Again, we thank you for your feedback as it is always useful to hear exactly what our guests are thinking.

Take care and we hope to welcome you back once again.

Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Even though my family and I did not stay at the hotel due to sold out, we were given the opportunity to use the hotel facilities through friends. This is a great hotel for the family with a perfect location on the South Beach. The place is very family oriented without being noisy around the pool area. The staff was helpful and friendly both at the two swimming pools and on the beach and there was enough sunbeds for everyone. On the beach we had lunch from the hotel’s restaurant to a very reasonable price, and the food was very well prepared, we'll be back:)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear Michael,

Thank you for your review of our amenities & poolside restaurant! We are happy that you had an opportunity to experience the hotel even though we were sold out.

We look very forward to you experiencing our spacious suites (beginning at 600 sq. ft.) in the near future!

See you soon....
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at the Savoy for one week at the end of June. The weather was hot, hot...but who cared? We were steps from the beach and the beautiful pool(s). We had a wonderful room with an ocean view and a view of the pool. Our balcony was huge, with 2 chairs, a small table and 2 lounge chairs. Although we spent very little time in the room other than to sleep - our room was perfect. Nice comfy bed for us and a comfy pullout sofa bed for the two kids. The room had a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. Our favorite time of day was early morning drinking coffee on that great patio looking at the wonderful view. The staff was very attentive. Everyone we dealt with was great - very friendly and aimed to please. The room was serviced every morning and again at night - with additional towels, ice and chocolate! While everyone was great a special thanks has to go to the bartender, Tamika. Her service was tops and she went the extra mile giving us restaurant suggestions and sightseeing tips. We can't wait to return.

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed at the Savoy for 2 nights on room 225-2.
The location is perfect. But the hotel is bad, here are the problems I found:

1) the fan in the bathroom was so noisy, I just took a shower in the dark;
2) there were no hangers;
3) there was only a blackout to cover the window and the room faced another building, so if I wanted to get dressed in my room I had to turn the lights on;
4) I'm 6ft, the only mirror in my room was so short, I couldn't see myself if I stood up and the bathroom was really dark with all lights on.
5) The shower is broken, you can turn the handle 360 degrees. It's actually a teaser to try to completely shut it off afterwards.
6) Breakfast was good and staff super friendly, but it took forever.
7) Elevator was really small for my luggage and guitar.

None of these were a show stopper (maybe the fan), but at almost $300 a night, I was expecting a good hotel, and the Savoy is just not up to snuff.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Salisbury, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We spent 7 nights at the Savoy earlier this month. Our room was Ocean View with 3 balconies, 2 on the pool side and 1 on the ocean side. Loved it because we could wake up to the beach, but still see choose which chairs we were going to claim at the pool. The General Manager stopped by our chairs one day at the pool and chatted. He told us all about the hotel and gave great recommendations for food (Big Pink). Both Gisella (hope I spelled that right) and Rocky great at the pool. (Hint: You may have to get Gisella's attention for the first drink, but after that she is there for you!) We ordered the fish tacos at the pool one day - highly recommend. This was our 3rd visit to the Savoy and we will go back !!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Greetings from South Beach!

Thank you for your 5-Star review and also your loyalty to The Savoy Hotel!

We are so glad you enjoyed your Ocean Front Accommodation and especially the balconies. It is so refreshing to sit and view South Beach and it's natural beauty.

So you had the fish tacos -- that is the most popular item on our menu and our guests have been raving about them.

We look forward to seeing you again soon....
Kansas City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed in a suite with grandkids in June 2013. Though the room was big, and quite nice, the common areas and balcony were a bit shabby and in need of paint and repair. Bath was huge with excellent marble throughout, and bedroom and amenities were first class. The pool area was clean and well tended, with two pools and plenty of good quality deck chairs and umbrellas available. Took advantage of their private beach space on S. Beach. If you want a good umbrella and padded chairs near the beach, be prepared for an additional $30 nick, which we found a bit ridiculous, but overall, the stay was a good one. Breakfast in the poolside restaurant was decent, not great and of course, it was expensive. Of course, one should expect this if you want to breathe the rarified air of southern S. Beach. Staff personnel were all very friendly and helpful, and most pleasant. All in all a recommended place while it lasts. I fear it won't be long till this property gives way to a larger more modern building, like many places around it.

Room Tip: Get a pool side or ocean view room. A bit more expensive, but you'll be glad you did once you...