“Ideal spot in South Beach” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book Early and Save!
Ranked #14 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Hartford, Connecticut
“Ideal spot in South Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Having never been to South Beach, my husband and I relied on advice from other reviewers to choose our hotel – and were thrilled with the decision to spend our first anniversary at the Savoy.

It truly is what other reviewers said: clean, a great value compared to other SoBe hotels, historic, and newly renovated/beautifully maintained. We chose a standard pool view and I requested a balcony and king bed when making the reservation. They were able to honor the request. Our room was in the north building on the third floor, had a very spacious bedroom (GREAT bed), a fully renovated and large bathroom with lots of shelving and good water pressure, and a living area with a second flat-screen TV, pull-out sofa, refrigerator, microwave, and a second closet. We had two balconies overlooking the pool and a partial view of the ocean. Gorgeous.

Location: We could not have picked a better location for our South Beach stay. The strip of restaurants and bars begins at 5th street, and we were able to walk everywhere. We were able to see all of Ocean Drive, Lincoln Road Mall, Collins Ave, South Pointe Park, and more just on foot. Surprisingly (and fortunately), the Savoy’s location between 4th and 5th streets really is far enough away to avoid the late-night noise. Once inside our room, we didn’t hear a peep from outside. Then again, we stayed Monday-Friday. I imagine it can get a lot louder on the weekends. Even the Savoy’s beach felt like a retreat from the loud public beaches just slightly further north. It was quieter and less crowded, but plenty close enough to experience the culture.

A few random observations… The Savoy’s workout room has 4 or 5 machines and some free weights. Though we never found it crowded, I recommend taking advantage of the path behind the hotel. If you follow it south it will lead you directly to South Pointe Park, which has a large marina, some great restaurants and a scenic view of Miami. The hotel restaurant was convenient and delicious but expensive. The service was outstanding.

Overall, the Savoy and its ideal location exceeded our expectations. We will absolutely return.

Tip: after a conversation with the hotel manager, we learned that spring and Thanksgiving are great times to visit if you're looking for a good value, and booking rooms directly through the hotel will get you the best rate!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear BM,

Congratulations on your 1st year wedding anniversary! We are delighted that you chose to spend it here at The Savoy Hotel.

We are ecstatic that you enjoyed your accommodation, our location and amenities and most of all, that we exceeded your expectations!

Sounds like you did a lot of walking around South Beach, and your tip to other travelers regarding the path behind the hotel is spot on.

We hope very much to see you on your 2nd year wedding anniversary, or sooner!

Take care,

746 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Worcester, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We were skepitcal that the pictures of this place were too good to be true. The Savoy looks exactly like what you see on their website. The service was professional, congenial, and timely. We were minutes to their private beach with lounge chairs/ umbrellas/ and towels provided. They have restaurant/bar service on the beach. Can it get any better than that? The room was very spacious with an extra large bathroom with a tub and separate shower. Microwave oven, coffee maker, multiple closets, robes, slippers, and nightly turn down service. I'll be back for my next Miami stay!

Room Tip: Pool view is great with a view of South Beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Robin,

Thanks for the 5-Star review and lovely comments - it makes us feel great!

We are so glad you enjoyed our location, services and amenities - we are very proud of our property.

Can't wait to have you as our guest again!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Five girlfriends traveled to this resort after over-researching places to stay in South Beach. We were thrilled with our choice. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful. The location was perfect. The private beach with beach service was a nice treat. We walked out of the hotel nightly and within minutes were dining at great restaurants, sitting outside to enjoy the sights. We were able to easily walk to several hot spots for dancing. The spacious connecting suites were perfect for our large group of five. Gary, the manager, was extremely accommodating and provided us with an additional chair for our group. Paula was very helpful in fixing a problem that we encountered and Rocky and Immer were full of great information, providing us with outstanding service. We could not have asked for a better place to celebrate our friendships and our birthdays. Thank you to all at the Savoy! We will be back!

Room Tip: Higher floor was an added bonus in this small hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Warm Greetings from South Beach!

Such wonderful feedback you have shared - thank you sincerely!

We are so happy that you enjoyed the hotel's location and amenities. Also, it's great that you were able to interact with our first-class team members!

We are looking forward to having you back once again....

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We just returned from our family vacation, we chose The Savoy because we had been there last November. The 1bedroom suites are super spacious,living area, dining table, two baths are so handy especially with two teenage girls, loved having the kitchenette. The only down fall was the girls did not find the sofa bed very comfortable. Did discuss this with the staff and they are still undergoing improvements. All and all the food was excellent at the restaurant and Tameka was great. The pools and deck area are well kept. Immer and Mary front desk staff always available to answer or assist our needs. We will definitely return back to the Savoy.

Thanks Sandi

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

My 2-star rating is based on the Savoy's claim of being a luxury hotel.
I felt unwelcomed upon arrival, as I was told immediately that check-in was at 4pm without any review of whether my room was ready. At 4pm, I collected my room key and went to my room only to find the AC did not work. The receptionist had maintenance fix the AC within an hour, but my view is the AC should have been fixed before I checked in.
The room was spacious with a decent sized bathroom, but there were some issues. The bed was uncomfortable and the whole bed moved enough to wake me from sleep every time my fidgety other half turned during each night. The headboard was covered in dust. On the plus side, I heard no noise from my 3rd floor room and the curtains kept out sunlight very well. The kitchen seems like a waste. I had only 4 small plates I could find - no small bowls, cooking utensils, pans, etc. These are cheap enough at IKEA (where most of the room furniture is from) so not sure why the many kitchen cabinets were not stocked.
The building facades and pool grounds desperately need painting. The pools are nice, but the water was too cold to swim. The key card access from beach to pool did not work, but it was easy to reach over the waist-high door to unhinge the lock - which is a security concern. Service at the pool and beach left much to be desired. Rocky was friendly and worked incredibly hard, but he is only 1 person. A second person is needed to assist with food & drink orders, especially on the weekends if that is when the hotel is closer to full capacity. This cost would almost surely pay for itself, as having more opportunities to place orders would generate more business for the hotel restaurant.
During my stay, I noticed that receptionists tended not to even look up and smile let alone greet me, which is just not characteristic of a luxury hotel. It is also a bit of a security concern, as anyone who knows the hotel layout could easily walk straight toward the elevator to guest rooms without any observation as to whether s/he is actually a guest.
I would recommend this hotel to groups or small families, as the rooms are spacious for Miami and the pullout love seat makes it easy to accommodate 3-4 guests. For couples looking for a luxury South Beach holiday, I think there are far better options. I've stayed at the Raleigh & Tides for example, which in my opinion have far more charm & much better service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Danielle,

Thank you sincerely for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay here at The Savoy Hotel.

First of all, let me apologize for the experience you shared. That is definitely not the product or service we strive to provide and we are very sorry that we fell short of your expectations.

Please know that we take all feedback very seriously and use it as training tools in our quest to continuously improve and grow. Each of your comments is important and are being addressed.

Again, thank you for your time & comments. I would love the opportunity to have you as our guest once again. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally take care of your reservation!

Francine
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We spent a few days in Key West and picked the Savoy for one night before heading home because it is really close to the airport. It took us less than 30 minutes in the 8 o'clock traffic. We were so surprised at the large space of our room. This was totally unexpected to have a separate living room and bedroom at these prices and the location on the beach was fantastic. We were given a great room with 2 balconies, but we were overlooking the roof of the café and requested a room with a better view. We were told that it was not a problem to move to another room with a better view, but after waiting for "the call" to move for 1 1/2 hrs, we were ready to just keep the room. The front desk was not helpful at all, and acted like this was a really big deal, even though they had told us that is was not a problem. We did finally move, and the rest of our stay was truly wonderful. We would definitely stay again and would recommend to friends also.

Room Tip: When reserving your room, and when checking in, be specific about the view you want, if it is import...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Greetings from Sunny Miami Beach!

We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay.

We are glad you enjoyed your spacious and clean suite, even if the view was less than desirable. We do have a number of suites with a standard view, but we also offer Pool View and Ocean View suites which are really gorgeous!

We regret you felt the service from the front desk to not exceed your expectations. We will certainly use your comments as training tools.

We welcome you back anytime!

Edison, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Savoy on a last minute trip for the weekend (Thursday-Sunday). Because it was last minute I had to book 2 different room types- a Standard Suite and the Traditional Room. The description of the room types on the hotel website are a bit misleading as they would lead someone to believe that the only differences between the Standard Suites are the bed types and the balcony, however some of the Standard Suites have a kitchenette, while others like the one we stayed in has only a microwave. If you plan on preparing some meals during your stay you may want to phone in and make sure you state your preference.Otherwise, the rooms are clean, and while the traditional room was small it was nice and was fine since we didn't stay in much.

The location was great. The hotel is situated closed to the end of the strip of hotels on Ocean Drive. After reading reviews of other hotels, people complained about the noise level. But outside noise was not an issue during our stay, and the hotel was still close enough to be within walking distance of restaurants, bars, and shops along Ocean and Collins. Also, the hotel was at full capacity while we were there, but it never seemed crowded, even in the pool and beach areas.

The Staff was very friendly and attentive at the front desk, valet, bell service, the bar, and the service from ordering food and drink from the beach and poolside. My only critique would be that during our stay, there was only one person working at the front desk. On one occasion I placed a call down to the desk and no one picked up, so after a few minutes I hung up. On separate occasions it took a while for my calls to be answered, but the staff was very accommodating.

There is a $15 charge per day which i didn't mind. It includes a fee for Wifi and use of beach chairs and beach towels. The hotel has a nice little section on the beach for guests where you can lounge on chairs under umbrellas. There is also a $30 per day fee if you choose to use the hotel valet. You can the front desk ahead of time so that your car is ready by the time you're outside.

Overall, I I would recommend staying at this hotel. The location is great, the hotel is well kept, and the staff is friendly and accommodating.

Dear Wesley,

Thanks for sharing your comments - we really appreciate it!

Regarding your comment on the room types, we do have some suites with kitchenettes. They can be booked directly through the hotel for an extra charge.

We are glad you liked the accommodations overall and also enjoyed our fantastic location and friendly staff.

We hope to see you back again very soon!

Francine - Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to The Savoy Hotel? Share your experiences!