“Wonderful Location, Great Staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book Early and Save!
Ranked #14 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Iowa City,IA
“Wonderful Location, Great Staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our trip to Miami Beach. After much debate, research, and studying reviews online, we decided to stay at the Savoy, and we are so happy with our decision. The Savoy has the most wonderful location, just steps from the beach, and the staff are friendly, helpful, and fun.

Here is a list of our positive thoughts:
First, if you are looking for a nice, relaxing time without the hustle and noise that you will find further north on the beach, you will love The Savoy. Second, you cannot beat the location of The Savoy. You can walk out of the hotel and be on the beach within seconds (I think it took us less than a minute to walk from our room to our beach chairs). Third, Takima, an employee at the Savoy's restaurant, graciously served us wonderful food and drinks on our first night's stay even though we walked (unknowningly) into the restaurant only 15 minutes before its closing time. In addition to being very gracious and helpful, Takima was also fun and shared all of her favorite spots to visit on miami beach. Fourth, Jeffrey, a beach employee, helped us everyday on the beach. He adjusted our umbrella and chairs, sent wait staff to us for beverage and food service, and was just geniunely a nice guy. Fifth, Rocky, an employee, helped us in almost every way possible. He served us food and drinks on the beach all day on Saturday (we were on the beach for a 6.5 hours), and he also very nicely shared a list of local restaurants and bars where we could listen to live music. Sixth, while the food at the Savoy's restaurant was simple, we loved it. In particular, the hummus and babaganoush platter is AWESOME! Seventh, our room, #322, was comfortable, clean, and offered an amazing view of the pools and ocean. Finally, the two pools (1 heated and 1 cold) were very beautiful and clean.

While we don't have anything negative to say about the Savoy, be advised that if you are expecting a 5 star hotel, you may be slightly disappointed with the rooms. The Savoy is an older hotel, but they have updated it very nicely. However, the rooms are not perfect, and I would equate them to the equivalent of a room at an Embassy Suites or Double Tree, which obviously means they were still pretty nice rooms, just slightly outdated. BUT the botantical courtyard, pools, restaurant, bar service, and proximity to the beach outweigh any flaw found in the rooms.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Pool View Suite!

746 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Ga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We went here for the day after our Disney cruise. We stay in luxury and boutique hotels often, and thought this would be a quaint and historic hotel to visit while in Miami. There is a DISTINCT difference between historic and OLD AND RUN DOWN! We arrived in time for an early lunch, and as soon as we got out of the cab my husband was ready to leave. There were black moldy streaks down the sides of the building and the paint was peeling off. This is an old and dreary hotel and the photos online are very misleading. We went to eat lunch by the "beautiful" pool and were surprised at how dingy everything was when walking through the restaurant. They tried to use a few high end looking pieces here and there to make it look upscale, but in essence it was in dire need of maintenance, paint, and a good cleaning. The doors to the bathrooms are thin pieces of wood like you would find in a trailer park. The service was VERY slow, and there was only one other family there. The white uniforms the sad employees were wearing were dirty and about 2 sizes too small. They didn't seem very concerned with service, despite the AUTOMATIC 18% gratuity that was added to our bill on our already overpriced food. (Chips and salsa was $8.00, and the salsa tasted like ketchup-literally). My husband had a sandwich that had "artificial cheese food" slices on it that made it inedible. Our kids quesadilla was OK, but for $14, it should be. They shared a berry smoothie, and that was $8.00 also, but had hardly any flavor except for being sour and watery. We paid about $65 for a light lunch, which was 1 meal, 2 appetizers, a coke and a smoothie. VERY disappointing. We then decided to check out the beach and walked around the pool area and through a rusty old gate to get to it. You can not see it from the pool at all. It is a more quiet part of the beach, so that was nice. The lobby is full of Fendi furniture, but it is old and filthy with stains. The white sofas had giant brown stains on the cushions and I couldn't wait to get my kids out of there. The bellman, Tony, was a very nice gentleman, and the girls at the front desk seemed sweet, but I wouldn't pay $75 a night to stay in this place, much less $400-$800!! We stayed at a Best Western Bayside before our cruise, and I would far recommend it over this place and it was less than 1/2 the price! I DO NOT recommend....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Warm Greetings from The Savoy Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience here at the property. We sincerely apologize for the many items you did not care for and negative thoughts you have.

As you are aware, we are an historic Art Deco building, over 80 years old and we do our very best to keep up the building and still retain the uniqueness and charm. We have recently upgraded our guestroom product and will continue to do so throughout the year.

Regarding the restaurant, we have made some upgrades there and have some more plans in the summer. We have a new Chef and use only the finest ingredients in our food.

We do pride ourselves on our service and typically receive excellent comments about our staff, so we are dismayed your found the staff not to be of the utmost professionalism.

Again, thank you for your feedback - we will take it into consideration as we continue to move forward.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I have just returned on February 15, 2013, from a marvelous two weeks’ – yes two weeks! – stay at the Savoy Hotel. We’ve been to South Beach many times before and have stayed at the Marriot and at the Doubletree, but for us, finding the Savoy was like discovering a precious little jewel and we’ll probably be back there again next year. I’m a little bit reluctant to write about it because I’m afraid it might become an “in” kind of place and become very popular, making it difficult to get a reservation, but I feel after these few years, I should let people know what it’s like. It’s a small, older, boutique hotel, only three floors high with about eighty rooms, a departure from the monumental mass-tourism kinds of place one sees all over Miami these days. Even when it is at maximum capacity – which according to the staff happened a few times during our stay – it didn’t seem at all busy and was fairly quiet. Invariably, we’ve found the staff – from those on the front desk to those cleaning the rooms – to be very helpful and friendly and very responsive to us whenever we asked for anything, such as extra shampoo or toilet paper. I especially liked the room they assigned us this year – an ocean view with a balcony overlooking the pool. With large opening windows, in the early part of the day it was bright, airy and cheerful and with the sun streaming in there was an outdoor feeling to the place. All the rooms have refrigerators and microwaves, which we found very useful. The hotel has a fitness center which always seemed to be under-used whenever we looked in, but if you like swimming – which we do -- it’s ideal for that. There are two swimming pools – a smaller one and by far the most popular, heated, that seemed to be frequented mainly by families with children – and a larger one which we used about twice a day -- unheated but comfortable, about twenty-five yards long that we enjoyed very much after our walk every morning. It’s a great place to hang out and have a drink, ordered from Rocky the indefatigable and always charming pool attendant.

We’ll be back there again next year, if they have the space.

Jess

Room Tip: All the rooms are different. We like the second or third floor, ocean view.
St. Paul, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

About the same cost as the Surfcomber, but worlds apart in amenities, service and overall quality. This hotel is nicely situated to the heart of the nightlife of Miami Beach without all of the traffic noise you would expect, but that is as far as I will go with being complimentary. The hotel is old appearing and feeling. The room was dirty. I don't think the bathroom floor had been mopped in over a week. The airconditioner was leaking water into the closet and the floor was wet when we got there and was still wet when we checked out. The front desk staff was also rude. The 4PM check-in is also a joke. Spend the same amount at the Surfcomber or a little more to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Hello from the Savoy Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to describe your comments on Trip Advisor. We find all types of feedback as opportunities and will certainly address your maintenance concerns.

We are glad you liked our location, and most importantly we would like to ask you to give us another chance to exceed your expectations. You can contact me directly and I will personally handle your reservations.

Hanover, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This hotel is the one that most of us dare to dream of when we fantasize about a tropical paradise. And yet the location couldn't be better for easy access to all the fun that South Beach has to offer.
To put it simply, the Savoy offers serene elegance amid an otherwise bustling ocean front resort. Their large rooms are fully equipped, several with kitchenettes and balconies, and for someone who has trouble sleeping in general, this gem is the perfect cocoon.
The pool area is renowned for its temple-like ambiance with both a heated and non-heated pool, enticing cabanas, and cheerful restaurant service. A well equipped fitness center is also conveniently located poolside next to the beach entrance . . and need I mention how gorgeous the beach is?
This delightful oasis was definitely "Paradise Found"!

Room Tip: Though the hotel is surprisingly quiet for it's proximity to Ocean Drive, it's still worth a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Warm Greetings from South Beach!

We are ecstatic that we were able to fulfill your fantasy of a tropical paradise! We truly are a hotel that you can enjoy calm, serenity & relaxation, yet still be in the middle of everything South Beach has to offer.

Now that you've found us, we look very forward to welcoming you back time and time again!

Take care,
Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stayed at The Savoy Hotel January 24th for two nights and really liked it. It's right on South Beach which is beautiful and has two pools- one that is heated. The employees were very friendly and we ate lunch at the restaurant located on the property and it was excellent. There are tons of restaurants and bars all within walking distance. The room was clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

I had an amazing stay at the savoy hotel !! Being that I've been to south beach 1000x this by far was one of my top stays at a hotel in south beach. I loved that it was close enough to everything but yet just enough away from the hustle and bustle of ocean drive. Everything was great. The food was good. The room was clean. Mary at the front desk was extremely helpful and accommodating. Carlos the manger was great . He helped me and my pregnant friend get into our room a little earlier then check in. It was very kind of him considering how she was exhausted from traveling. Bernie was amazing in the restaurant. She was very accommodating :) she makes the best iced latte :) rocky was very friendly and helpful by the pool. He was also very accommodating. Bringing us Iced water , towels and just checking on us to see if we needed anything :) I have to say with a staff like that you can't go wrong !! Their was another waitress that I can't remember her name that brought the food to beach and pool. she was also like everyone else very nice and accommodating . Even the manger in the restaurant was very professional , kind and accommodating . Asking my friend and I every day how we were doing and if we needed anything . Mary , Bernie and rocky along with mostly the rest of the staff are all extremely professional , accommodating , friendly and genuinely kind which makes a world of a difference ! The only complaint I have is that two days out of my six I had another waiter at the restaurant his name was cian. It's not that he was unfriendly but when I asked for a iced latte like I did every day before he told me " He won't do that " ! All it took was ice and chocolate syrup .. : / I was surprised to be spoken to like that . I thought the customer was always right ;) it really
Wasn't that crazy of request. The next day he was my waiter as well . I made the same request again . He told me NO! Then He eventually unwillingly attempted to make me something that tasted awful !! Other then that I don't have a single complaint .. Everyone was extremely friendly and nice. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone I know. When I go back to south beach I will be booking the savoy again :) I was very pleased with everything they had to offer. The price was great considering they have so much to offer. Also I was very impressed with the fendi decor in the lobby ;) being a fashionista like myself i had a great appreciation for it :)

• Stayed February 2013
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Andrea Lynne,

Thank you very much for your review and the time you took to write such details for others to see.

We are very proud of our staff and have constantly been praised for our excellent guest service. If we may say so, we have some of the very best team members on this beach!

I do apologize for the associate that did not live up to our service standards - this feedback will be passed on to the appropriate parties.

We can't wait to have you back!

Francine - Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to The Savoy Hotel? Share your experiences!