“Could have been horrible” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   425 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Special Price
Book Early and Save!
Ranked #14 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
“Could have been horrible”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Hotel and pools nice. First night staying was ready to check out at 4 am. Room was dated but ok. The beds were the worst I've ever slept in, felt like I was sleeping on the floor. Since there were rooms available because of hurricane on east coast I was moved to another room. This room was fantastic. I don't understand how a hotel could have such a bad room and then have such a nice room. The rest of the week was great. Keep your fingers crossed on what room you get. Bad room #215 good room # 105.

• Stayed October 2012

744 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Salisbury, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was our second stay at the Savoy - 9 years apart. Loved it both times. Only regular suites were available when I booked, but I checked again about 2 weeks before our trip and ocean view had become available. The room was just wonderful. One of the staff later told us that this room was typically given to newlyweds. There were 2 french doors leading onto a fabulous patio with two chaises - great views of pool and ocean. I will definitely request this room next time. All of the staff we encountered were very pleasant. We had a light bulb out when we arrived, reported it, went to dinner, and it was fixed when we got back. Pool area and work out room were really nice and well kept.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Greetings from Miami Beach!

We are so glad you had the opportunity to experience staying in one of our Ocean View Suites. With the upgraded furnishings, multiple balconies and direct ocean view - it can't be beat!

We look very forward to having you back once again.

Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for three nights in April to celebrate a girlfriend's 40th birthday. Compared to the other hotels on South Beach with proximity to the ocean, you can't beat the price and location of the Savoy.

It was a very nice boutique style hotel that offered old Miami Art Deco flare. The rooms were clean and roomy.

The pool was gorgeous and you felt like you were at a secluded resort. Their private beach was super close and had great chairs.

It was so close to walk to everything. We didn't have a car. The nightlife on Ocean Drive is a block away. We partied one night at the Clevelander- maybe cliche, but it is a fun Miami classic.

Dinner on Ocean Drive is pricey. I highly recommend Joe's Stone Crab- it is to die for. I'm from Miami Beach originally and always love going back to Joe's. The Key Lime Pie is a must. Also we enjoyed The Big Pink nearby and David's Cuban, which was more of a walk but worth it for affordable local Cuban cuisine.

Unfortunately, it rained cats and dogs for most of our stay. We did get some beach time and one day we holed up in the hotel bar and the bartender was wonderful and fun and offered us a complimentary round of drinks since he felt bad for us.

Walgreens is across the street and you can get items for your kitchenette if you have one and they also carry liquor.

Everything you need is close by and if you want an affordable hotel at an unbelievable location, this is the place for you.

If you want über swanky snobby luxury, look elsewhere.

I can't wait to bring my family back to The Savoy!

• Stayed April 2012
Hello!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a "fantastic" review. We are so glad you enjoyed our accommodations, excellent location and wonderful service.

We hope to see you back again here at The Savoy Hotel.

Until then, take care!
connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Once again we had a great stay a the Savoy due in no small part to the excellent staff and management at the property. Stranded in Miami due to Hurricane Sandy (I know, poor us!) everyone went out of their way to accommodate our party for extra nights with no fuss. When it was obvious that the remaining 4 travelers would not get back to NY until Friday (11/02/12) Gary, the manager, made arrangements for a final day at a sister property, The Angler's - also lovely.
Thanks once again to Gary, Mary, Richard, Rocky and the rest of the staff for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: 309 is spacious and has a pool/ocean view balcony
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are glad you had an opportunity to experience our excellent guest service!

We hope to welcome you back once again in the near future.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Had two stays at the Savoy,one at the start of our Florida trip and one at the end, in total 5 nights.
We thought it was excellant,its located at the end of South Beach, it has its own access to the beach and is just an ideal location. The staff were very friendly and helpfull and we could not ask for more, will definitely stay there again and certainly recommed it to anybody looking to go to South Beach, which is a great place by the way.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 4yr Anniversary in SOBE Miami and stayed at The Savoy. From the time we checked in until the time we checked out we were pleased with our stay. The gentleman at the front desk, Richard was very accomodating and welcoming. Daxchel was awesome as well. The housekeeping crew was top of the line. We even had the pleasure of meeting the hotel GM and was pleased to see how friendly and down to earth he was. The hotel was the perfect location to be in the mix but to have a quiet retreat once you're done with the hoopla of Miami. Great stay and we will definitely be returning here when we visit SOBE again.

Room Tip: The balcony was a great added bonus
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I really question the reviewers that post positive reviews about this place….I’ve tried to read them as objectively as possible and still can’t understand some of the positive comments.
I will note some training tips (TT ) for the mgmt as it seems they may read some of these reviews, and I’d like to offer some constructive criticism.
Stay details first – wife and I arrived October 13th for a 4 night stay, booked many months ago and were very much looking forward to our stay here – our first time in Florida. While I know it’s no fault of the hotel – what’s with the road construction? I saw it on Google maps-street view ( presumabley months old ) and it’s still a bit of a disaster area. Then upon entry it’s immediately evident that the pictures of this place are mis-leading, very drab décor, and don’t get me started on reviewers that liked it – again don’t understand.
Check-in clerk was professional enough ( usually all I require ), not in the least bit friendly, and this is where all the little problems begin – along with the training tips – TT#1 : obtain a better credit entry system – the clerk MANUALLY entered my credit card with a one word reply “ declined “ { no offer to try again } I tell him to try it again, he types again – “ declined “, I offer another card ( my personal card – first was company card ), and it works. I called the credit card company immediately and they tell me he mistyped the expiration date, I rushed back and told him, he tried again, and said “ OK “ { nothing close to a Sorry }.
On to the room…Bleh, again nothing like the photos ( so if they give you room 126, ask for another immediately, as far as I can tell they have a large number of rooms at varying degrees of renovation status ). As others have stated – full kitchen, nothing to use ( no utensils ). Small tube TV in living room bolted to stand in a position that was un-viewable to the couch. Other than all that, room was spacious enough, view of the parking garage was awful, but not really a big deal for us. After starting to unpack, my wife discovers a few strange hairs on the bed, not freaked out until pulling back the covers to discover more hair! That’s when my wife loses it and calls to ask the sheets be replaced …on to TT#2: Don’t question the guests! Just apologize and fix it! , when she called the response was “ there’s what? Really?, what would you like? Really? “, should be “ Sorry, we’ll send someone right away “, they did send the housekeeping quickly ( good job ), and my wife could tell immediately the hair belonged to her. ( ewww! ).
A few of the other things we didn’t like…..the noise, the primary reason for choosing a place that didn’t have the best location ( that’s right! NOT the best location, it’s at the wrong end of the action ) was that it would be quiet. The street was quiet, thanks to the construction, and there were serious partiers in the hotel, but we heard every step our upstairs neighbors took as well as construction in the parkade during the day outside our window. The staff – NOT friendly!, not as rude as most of the restaurant staff in South Beach either, and I wouldn’t even mention it if other reviewers had left it alone as well, but others rave how wonderful they are……NOT!, never a smile!
Another incident brings me to TT#2(a) – there was no iron for the ironing board, I stopped by the front desk to request one, when housekeeping brought it I get “ there’s no iron? Let me see… “, instead of “ here you are sir, sorry about that “.
Others mention the pool/beach staff – I never saw a soul out by the pool, and just saw one guy sitting in the shack at the beach – NO service.
I’d just like to end with one more comment, while out one night I went to visit a friend staying at another hotel which was amazing, she paid about the same, had a much better location, and I was only there 10 minutes and had friendlier service. So I came back to the Savoy trying to enter with an open/fresh mind of the lobby, and still come back to DISSAPPOINTED! The Savoy does NOT belong anywhere in the top 20 hotels as far as I can tell, so please do NOT stay here based on the ranking – my mistake.

Room Tip: Unless you love your room, do NOT drop your bags until you do....change rooms!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TheSavoyHotelCares, Director of Sales at The Savoy Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Troy,

Greetings from Miami Beach! Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Trip Advisor. We deeply apologize if we did not live up to your expectations.

As you mentioned in your review, our management team does review each and every traveler review. Although we have received over 200 reviews from our past guests, we rarely (if ever), receive any negative comments about the friendliness of our staff. Many of them have worked here 6 years or more and pride themselves on their excellent service. Regretfully, that is not the opinion you have of us, and for that we apologize.

We would love the opportunity to welcome you back to experience The Savoy Hotel once again. I am happy to personally handle your arrangements if you so choose.

Francine - Director of Sales & Marketing

Been to The Savoy Hotel? Share your experiences!