“Convenient location, very modern & well kept” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lord Balfour

Save Saved
You added Lord Balfour to your Saves list
Lord Balfour
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   350 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly The Wave Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Convenient location, very modern & well kept”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The hotel was recently renovated so the lobby and rooms have very modern decor and are very well maintained. The location is great, it's only a few steps from the beach and far enough from the main strip that you don't have to deal with the street noise. The rooms are a decent size, however, the bathrooms are pretty small, especially if you have more than one person. Walls are pretty thin, so we were woken up a few times throughout the night by loud guests. Also, on our first night we could hear someone snoring through the air vent. It was pretty loud but the hotel staff was really nice about it and moved our room. Staff was really friendly and I would stay here again if the price doesn't increase too much.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
broqui2000, General Manager at Lord Balfour, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Guest feedback is always welcomed to help us identify concerns that can be rectified. I am sorry to hear that you were woken up several times during your first night, however I am pleased to know that our staff was able to assist you in finding soothing accommodations. Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to your return soon!

Truly yours,
Ralph Reveron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This hotel had a few hits, and SEVERAL misses. Let's start with the hits - great location, it's away from all of the chaos of South Beach, but close enough that everything is easily accessible. The rooms are really nice, and the beds are very comfortable. The hotel employees are very nice and accommodating.

The misses - there is an extremely high level of disorganization. Valet is a disaster, sometimes taking upwards of 40 minutes from the time of phone call to retrieve the car (no exaggeration). The shower was very hard to control the temperature, as well as the temperature in the room.

My biggest complaint has been dealing with the hotel after the fact. Upon checkout, I was informed that the 'booking system was momentarily down.' I needed a receipt, as I was there on business, and require a receipt for the incidentals for work. I was told that I would get that emailed to me by the end of the day. The 'end of the day' came and went. I called every day thereafter, always getting an answering machine, and leaving messages. I never got a return phone call. I finally reached the front desk after the fourth consecutive day of calling. Completely unacceptable.

Ultimately, I do think this will be a great property, but for now, they have some major customer service kinks to iron out. That said, if you can find a great deal on expedia (less than $150/night), it's worth it. I wouldn't pay more than that for quite a while, though. That said, it's a new hotel, and will most likely get it together in a great way.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
broqui2000, Manager at Lord Balfour, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
First let me start by offering an honest and sincere apology, we at the Lord Balfour are sorry to hear that this was your experience at our hotel. We have certainly reviewed and shared your comments with our Front Office Manager. We value your comments, and feedback, as it will assist us in correcting issues and concerns as we realize them. I am available to discuss with you in the matter of not receiving your hotel bill. Please contact me at gm@lordbalfourmiami.com. Thank you again, and we do hope you give us another opportunity in the future. Thank you Ralph Reveron General Manager
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Lord Balfour for Two night's from the 31st August- 2nd September. Upon our arrival we were greeted by a more than helpful porter (Richard), who was extremely helpful and more than happy to go out of his way to assist in anyway he can. We were introduced to Dilip (Chief Concierge), who was really friendly, and knew the good spots to hang out in Miami.Our room was gorgeous, well decorated and very Contemporary, huge bed, and a very nice shower aswell! Complimentary continental breakfast, and the beach is literally a across the street. It's also very central for both shopping on Washington Avenue and catching a good tan on the beach. My only gripe is that the bed was really hard! Overall we had a fantastic time, and the hotel added to our First Miami experience, which was really positive. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is the goal of our wonderful staff that each Lord Balfour guest has a great positive experience. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments. Sincerely, Ralph Reveron General manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This hotel was recently renovated and reopened earlier this year. Everything was great from check in to check out. The rooms and decor in the hotel are modern and clean, with NO BUGS. Bugs are my biggest concern when staying on South Beach especially, Ocean Drive and they passed! The staff was extremely accommodating: Carolina, Richard and Isu. Carolina got my room ready for me early when I arrived at 11 am. The staff was always available to answer any questions. If you're looking for a hotel, close to South Beach (within walking distance) that is clean and new, quiet, and budget friendly, this is your best bet!

The only con for other guests might be the bathroom which is tiny, but wasn't a concern of mine because it was clean and modern with a rainfall shower head. How much time do you really spend in the bathroom anyway? lol

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your TripAdvisor posting. We are delighted you enjoyed your previous stay and truly appreciate the comments about our staff. Your compliments have also been forwarded to our team. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Lord Balfour Hotel sometime in the near future. Thank you again, Ralph Reveron General Manager
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

We had a nice time. Richard was great! I think he was the bell person but he helped us with everything. I would stay there again. Only negatives would be the room & hallway smelled like pets and there was no ice machine, you had to call room service every time you wanted ice. Beach one block down and plenty of shopping around.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write. I appreciate your review, and are quite please that our bellman Richard was so helpful during your stay. We hope to see you again in the future. Thank you again, Ralph Reveron General Manager
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed at the lord balfour for 3 nights, everything was nice, great location, beautiful rooms, My stayed was ruined once i met Cree the ( Front desk manager ) i won't display on trip advisor what occured, but she was very rude and she didn't handle my situation the right way, just by her attitude was completely unprofessional, if you stay here again talk to the man Dilip, very sweet guy!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Lord Balfour Hotel. We regret to hear about the experience you had. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences. I would like to discuss your specific experience in further detail, please contact me at gm@lordbalfourmiami.com. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you. Ralph Reveron-General Manager
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed here for two nights after having found a great deal on Groupon. The staff here are excellent and very accommodating. Props to Richard the Bellhop for being awesome! The room was beautiful, albeit quite small. Our first day there, the door (that leads to another hotel room) was apparently left unlocked and a random man walked in on us (two girls) while we were getting ready to get undressed! Talk about awkward and startling! The bathroom was very petite and I imagine it would be quite difficult for someone who is "bigger" to feel comfortable inside, I left the hotel with several bruises from banging my arms and legs on things in the bathroom. The shower did not work for me the second day of our trip. The first night of two I was able to sleep great --- these beds are SO comfortable! However, the second night I did not sleep at all as there was a low rumbling bass all night that was *literally* inescapable. This hotel is in a perfect location, right next to the beach! They do not have a pool but it didn't matter, they provided us with some beach towels and directed us a block or so down the street where we were able to have a bit of R&R on the beach. Overall I would recommend this hotel, EXCEPT if you are a light sleeper. Missing out on that last night's rest made my long drive home the next day torturous and it really threw me off for a couple of days; the price that you pay for this lovely hotel to not get a good night's rest is NOT worth it IMHO. Keep it up guys, you're doing a wonderful job! Just work on that soundproofing (perhaps the noise was coming from the lobby? If so, turn the music off at a decent hour!)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
broqui2000, General Manager at Lord Balfour, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. As a historic building the rooms tend to be a bit on the small side - not uncommon in the South Beach historic Art Deco District. We're sorry you didn't get a good sleep on your second night, and are certainly being conscious of the music levels in the lobby so as not to disturb our guests. We hope that next time you visit South Beach you will choose Lord Balfour again and we can deliver a perfect stay.

Been to Lord Balfour? Share your experiences!