“Great room/ location. $$$, not the best” 3 of 5 stars

Whitelaw Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   808 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #133 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great room/ location. $$$, not the best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed at the WhiteLaw Hotel one day after a 3 day stay right up the street at the Shelley (no room avalible for my additional day). The lobby and halls are super cute and clean. Room was much larger then the Shelley. Very clean and cute. However, I checked in and got to my room to find it was not ready. Was moved to a room that was (right next to the elevator). The halls were very loud. The room was located right above the lobby and I could hear the music blasting and street noise and traffic. This was not a big deal because I came to party anyway but just a note for those who want quite. THIS IS NOT THE HOTEL for you. Its is a bit more pricey than its sister hotels but again the room was TWICE the size. Our shower leaked and got a bang on the door from service desk not to get the floor wet.... It is a walk in shower with no curtin =/. However, the room served its purpose. I was only there for 4 hours from check in to check out. I would suggest if you do stay in this hotel, stay away from stairs and elevator. Take advantage of the happy hour and shuttle service. I have enjoyed all my stays with South Beach Miami Group hotels but this one was not the best but this could have just been a one time issue for me. Check out the other hotels and even give this one a shot. There are some great perks and the LOCATION is key!

Room Tip: Away from stairs and elevator. Away from front of hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Good Afternoon ChicTravelGEEK,

We value all of our guests feedback and we would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! Our staff works hard to make sure that everything in the hotel is well kept. It tends to be a bit louder here at Whitelaw Hotel as we are indeed a party hotel. It clearly states this on our website. We do offer a complimentary airport shuttle, and cocktail hour from 7-8PM nightly. We are also located in the heart of South Beach just blocks away from all the action.

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Great hotel! Great service! Awesome bartender name Ethan!!!!! He was awesome! Very professional!!!! Check on my friends and I frequently never had to worry about " where my waitress or where's my drink!" Excellent stay! Awesome service!!! I would stay here again!!!' On a scale from 1 to 10 I would give them a 10!

• Stayed April 2014
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Good Evening TiaSilva,

We value all of our guests feedback, and we are extremely glad to know that your time spent with us was a 5 star one!We strive on providing outstanding service here at Whitelaw Hotel! Ethan is lovely and I will make sure that he is aware of your kind praise! Please come back again soon for another memorable time!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I had an excellent stay, I loved every minute . The rooms were gorgeous and the staff was very helpful . Our bartender, Ethan, made sure we had our food and drinks and everything was delicious . He was so nice ! I will be staying here again !

• Stayed April 2014
Hello there Martyrae,

There is nothing that we love to read more then wonderful 5 star feedback! We are extremely glad to read that you had such a great time here at Whitelaw Hotel! I will make sure that Ethan is aware of your kind praise! We hope to see you again soon!

Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Our flight was to arrive at MIA at 6am on a Wednesday. Our Expedia confirmation note had mentioned that the hotel provided free shuttles between MIA and the Hotel. So we called the day before at 11pm from the departure airport to ask for the shuttle timings and pick up point. A man answered that the first pick up of the morning was at 7am.

We decided to go with the shuttle and killed time in MIA by surfing the internet. I found on their website that the first bus was at 8am (http://www.southbeachgroup.com/south_beach_group_freebies.php), so I called the hotel to check if the bus was at 7am or 8am? The man who picked up the phone said that it was at 8am. When I mentioned that the man who I spoke to just 8 hours earlier had said that the shuttle would start at 7am, he insisted that the previous chap had gotten it wrong, and that he was looking at the timetable as we spoke.

Since it was still pretty early, we decided to wait for the 8am bus. By 830am, we did not see the bus so I called the hotel again. This time a woman picked up the phone. She said that the first bus was at 7am that morning, and the bus runs every 2 hours, so the next bus would be at 9am! There was no 8am bus. It turns out she was right about the odd hours bit, as there is fine print on the website that says "On Wednesdays the shuttle runs from MIA every odd hour starting at 9:00am and from our hotels every even hour starting at 8:00am." I guess we will never know if they do indeed have a bus starting at 7am.

By this time it was 845am, so we decided to wait for the 9am bus. However, by 915am there was no sign of the bus. We called the hotel again, and asked the woman who answered if there was the probability that the bus would be late. She said "no", and offered to call the bus driver, and asked me to call back in 2 minutes to check. This I did, and this time she said that the bus driver did not pick up as he is not allowed to when driving. (I found this strange, since if she knew he was not allowed to pick up when driving, why would she make the offer? In any case, when we left Miami a few days later, and took the shuttle from the hotel to MIA, the shuttle bus driver was on the phone constantly with the hotel, and its sister hotels, telling them where he was and his eta from their hotel!)

By this time, we gave up and took a cab to the hotel. When we arrived before 10am, we asked if we could check in early. The receptionist said it was possible, but we would have to pay extra for it! What sort of hotel charges extra for early checkin walkins?!

And to top off the stay, when we checked out of the hotel, we asked if there was any additional charges to the room. The lady assured us that there wasn't. But the next day, we found that we were billed for a bottle of beer from the in room bar. A call to the hotel resolved the issue immediately; they did not even protest to the extra billing, which indicates they knowingly billed for stuff not consumed. What sort of respectable hotel does this sort of shady sleight of hand?!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Good Afternoon kitchenconfi,

Thank you so much for sharing your honest feedback, with us and all of our future guests. We are terribly sorry that there was a miscommunication regarding our shuttle service. We have been training some new staff members. I am sure that one of them were the ones who picked up the phone. They most likely got confused about the shuttle times and pick up locations, or perhaps mixed up the times. Our schedule is clearly stated on our website for all of our guests to read. It does mention on the bottom that on Wednesdays the schedule of the shuttle does change. We hope that this incident would not steer you away from staying with us again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Homestead, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband and I stayed here during Pride weekend, the hotel was great! After reading other reviews, I was a little worried about the noise from the lobby, so I brought earplugs just in case. We didn't need them, we were able to sleep through the night with no problem. It is more of a party atmosphere, which is what we wanted, the location is close to all the action. If you want a relaxed, quiet, serene stay, you'll want someplace either farther away from the beach or farther north. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Good Evening Lisa B,

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your lovely feedback with us! We are extremely glad to read that you had such a great time here. We are located in the heart of South Beach just blocks away from all the action. We hope that you would stay with us again!

Westchester, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

This place was an absolute nightmare and I am not even over exaggerating the word nightmare. I cringe at the thought of this place. First off the room was so small I still can't get over it. Second the toilet still had a pee stain as soon as we got in the room. Are the housekeepers that lazy?? And thirdly the thing that upset me the most.. When my friend arrived to the room(hours after me) she had the bellboy bring her bag to the room. Not only did he not knock on the door but he just opened the door!!!!!!!! He had a room key and opened the door like nothing and put her luggage inside. I was in my bra and painting my nails at the time and was so startled I had no words. I am still disturbed at the thought of this man seeing me in my bra. I don't know what kind of people they have working at the whitelaw but clearly they need more thorough training!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Hello there missyyy2014,

We value all of our guests feedback, and we are terribly sorry to read that your time spent with us was less then enjoyable! We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. I will definitely make sure to inform the General Manager about your praise! Our staff should knock on the door before entering. It is totally unacceptable for them to walk in without permission! We are extremely sorry about this and we will make sure that it never happens again!

Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

we were booked into the Whitelaw for seven nights and boy o boy what a major mistake,the reception/bar/lounge are together in a very small area and trying to book in our eardrums were pounded with very load rap music, this should have screamed warning ,we could not hear what receptionist was asking, we allocated a room on second floor and at our request far away as possible from terrible music blaring out below
the room was acceptable but with a few faults we we tried to get rectified but with no success , the maintenance man arrived , we ask him to open broken blind to let light in " cant do that" we asked to him to stop red light flashing on phone "cant do that" could he supply us with a plug for the sink " cant do that" what he could do we never found out!!!!
first night !! hen party shouting/drinking/loud music running up and down corridors , rang night security nothing happened!!! no sleep
second night even worst full scale partying (in my words rioting)in next room and on corridors . after three calls to security i warned them if they did not stop this i would phone the police, eventually the police did arrive and the people were evicted , no sleep. complaints to front office staff met with complete indifference they just did not care,
mid week thought we might be lucky !! but no, hotel to rear of our room having poolside disco until five am .
thurs/friday the hotel is vibrating with loud rap music all day/night , unbelievable loud. people were walking the corridors asking what on earth is going on ?? we were told it is music fest week and the music man will play until five am, we asked if he could turn down the volume so as we could get some sleep told no.
enough we packed our bags at four am and moved out, we drove part way back to Orlando and found a park and slept under a tree for three hours , bliss !!!!!!!!!
if you are an average person just expecting average things in an average hotel then avoid this place like the plague, we will never go back!! be warned

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
Hello there kenneth b,

We value all of our guests feedback and we would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We are terribly sorry to read that you did not have a 5 star time while staying with us! We are indeed a party hotel and it clearly states so on our website. We want everyone to have a great time with us and we do the best we can do make sure that everyone is. Our security guards are here to make sure that nothing gets out of control. If guests get out of control we warn them, if they do not calm down we end up calling the police. Winter Music Conference is going on at the moment and we inform all of our guests of that when they book. We apologize that you were not aware of this.

Katrine

Been to Whitelaw Hotel? Share your experiences!