“amazing hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #130 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York, New York, United States
“amazing hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

great decor and friendly staff. great location near the beach. the area is great for shopping and going to the beach. most everything is within walking distance. make sure to take a stroll on the boardwalk.

Room Tip: make sure to get a room in the back - less noise
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hello Michael B,

Your wonderful 5 star feedback is very much appreciated! We are very content to know that you liked the decor of our hotel as well as our lovely and friendly staff! Our property is in the perfect spot if you want to shop, party, go to the beach. We are in the middle of it all, just a short walk away from it all. Please come back and create more unforgettable memories with us!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I absolutely loved this little trendy hotel. I enjoyed every day. Though the rooms were slightly small (what do you expect on south beach) they made up for it with the party atmosphere and beautiful decorations! I loved the mini-bar because who wants to get up after a night of drinking, extremely dehydrated and have nothing to drink. I was able to reach right over and grab a cool water and gatorade out of the refridge and then get my day started. I see some reviews on here that people couldnt sleep because of the loud musib but really, who comes to south beach to sleep?!?!??! This is deff a party hotel and one of the best on south beach. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Ashley A,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read. I am very content to read that you loved the hotel. We do offer rooms of all sizes from smaller rooms, to the larger rooms for those guests that would like more space. Perhaps the next time you come to stay with us you would like to get a room that is a bit larger in size. Our mini- bar is there for your convenience and I am glad to read that you took advantage of it. :)

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Ok, Here's the real deal with the Whitelaw.

Per their website, this is a low to no frills type of hotel. I appreciate their honesty.

You will receive a moderately clean room with a really comfy bed. I say moderately clean as we only had beds made and towels replaced. They never cleaned the sinks, toilet etc. Not a deal killer but certainly an indication of poor management.

Go ahead and fork over an extra $9 for a room on the upper floors as the lobby is triple L-O-U-D!.

There is indeed a free happy hour. Drinks are served in flimsy plastic cups and are dispensed by a bartender that apparently skipped her customer service training. Still, it is free!

The beach towels are included. The hotel is centrally located. Super easy walk to any type of shopping, the beach, clubs, Espanola Way and Lincoln Road.

Like many hotels in this price range it is an older hotel that has been very lightly "resurfaced" to look like a cool boutique hotel but it really not. Still they made a nice effort.

STAY here if you are:

20-Something and on a budget
Have low expectations for customer service. From the shuttle driver to bartenders to front desk clerks...these folks all need retraining. It really does not hurt to make eye contact and smile once in a while! They seemed annoyed and unhappy to work there.

DO NOT stay here if you can afford to pay more OR if you are over 40.

And NOW a word about those free airport shuttles......

The shuttles can save you about $35 in taxi fare each way but there's a catch:
We arrived on a Wednesday and caught the shuttle from the airport with no problem. The Whitelaw website links to the shuttle schedule and location for pick up. The driver asks you for your hotel name but does not announce the hotel when you arrive so watch out for yourself! There were several Europeans on our shuttle that I'm pretty sure got off at the wrong stop. The driver says nothing (not even enjoy your stay!) yet has a tip jar prominently displayed, lol.

We checked out on Sunday and wanted to take the shuttle back to the airport. . The front desk chastised us and said that we should have reserved the shuttle the night before. We missed that signage but uhm...ok.... our bad.

The front desk made a couple of calls then told us that the shuttle would arrive at noon and that we should be out front 10 minute early. No problem; right?

Well; around 12:05 I noticed that the shuttle was parked down the street at a sister hotel (The Chesterfield). We went back in the lobby and inquired, THEN that same front desk clerk said "you have to go down there (The Chesterfield) to catch it". It might just be me but that seemed to be a really important piece of information that should have been included in his initial instructions.

Needless to say, as we ran down the street with our luggage in 85 degree heat, the shuttle bus pulled away. Lucky for us we were not pressed for time; but we were out $35 bucks for a taxi.

I would not stay here again but I would recommend this hotel to young, inexperienced budget travelers.

Room Tip: Pay extra $9 for a quiet room on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We spend 5 nights in Whitelaw few days ago.

I was quite scared of this place, due to many negative reviews on TripAdvisor I red before. I was planning this trip long time in advance, so I observed prices for a long time and evaluated many options - Mondrian (which was the expensive option), Clay Hotel (cheap option) or some southbeachgroup hotel - finally the Whitelaw won the first place due to the really decent price ($100 / night) - and we usually stay most of the day out of the hotel.

Checkin was pretty smooth, we just deposited $100 extra for the room (rest was paid online) and went to our room, which was in the first floor. The room was nice in art deco style and clean. Bathroom has a lower standard but still you can find anything you need - only the water pressure was not sufficient - it takes at least 20 minutes to have a shower. Our room did not have a terrace (but there is a nice seating all around the hotel - but I dont know if it is possible to bring you own beverages) and there is no swimming pool in the property - but it is literally few meters from the beach, so who needs pool. Despite all the reviews, the room was pretty quite and we did not hear any sound from the party below (I will mention the bar area later). There is very well - supplied mini-fridge in the room with decent prices - I can really recommend. I had just one problem with the room service - the cleaning. It was for the first time in my life when the cleaning staff made just one bed in the room out of two - the second was left as we leave the room in the morning. Also the first day the cleaning staff waited until 6pm when we went back from the beach and then in two minutes knocked the door and asked if we need the cleaning (guess what will be the answer, if you come to your room in wet swimming dress and going to have the shower). But I need to again highlight, that the room was REALLY clean, it was morelike just a lack of motivation - so I left only $2 instead of $5 as tip for cleaning (sorry, I am from Europe, I give the tip only when I am satisfied with your service).

Whitelaw is definitely a party place - except from few older guys we met in the hotel, rest folks were around 20 - 30 years old - so most of the folks went back from the party around 6am and continued shouting in the lift / lobby / hall. Some funny girls even knocked all the doors in the first floor around 5am last night - but this is south beach, so we just laughed and continued sleeping - but frankly, every morning there was some disturbing event which broke our sleep. On the other hand, we woke up quite early in the morning (around 8am) and tuned our radio on loud, so we had a sweat revenge. Surpisingly when we left the room around 8:15, we were the firs guests in the lobby and surprised the stuff cleaning whole hotel.

There is a bar down in the lobby, just next to the reception. Except of the last night (when few girls arrived to the bar by limo, but I dont know if the stayed long - we just passed around), the bar was every night almost empty - the biggest pain was the ULTRA loud music playing some mainstreem disco hits, so it was not even possible to talk on the bar. I am not very sure what is the business case for this place, but I was not really convinced that it goes very well - I was completely confused by the concept of this place - why someone should party here, when there are too many better places around. Prices was on the same level as in most places around ($10 / drink). Big pain was the fact, that all the guests checkin after 7pm were not able to understand properly the conversation with the reception staff - due to the loud music playing right next to their heads - so some people looked really disappointed when checking in. There is happy hour every day 6-7pm - people usually start there and when it is over, they continue to different place. The bartender (male) asked us second evening to give him some tip for the free drinks, but sorry, when I paid $15/day the resort fee which covers the happy hour, I am not going to pay $1 for 0.5 dcl of Coke and few drops on rum (do a proper drinks if you want my money) - last night there was a different girl who did a proper cuba libre, so we tipped her for each round of free drinks (just info for non-US travellers about local habits).

There is onsite restaurant called "Tako shack" - I would say it is the best hidden restaurant in the world - many people went inside to ask the reception where it exactly is - because it is just hidden kitche, which serves the guests in the lobby + on the seats outside the hotel. We tried the restaurant only twice - once the first day in the morning - I ordered eggs with pancakes and pancakes were coal-burned from one side - I was quite tired and hungry so I just did ate eggs and decided not to eat there anymore - but the price was decent - $25 for 2 people including tip. Last day we went there again for a breakfast due to time pressure and one of the meals were missing few ingredients compared with the menu offering - so we asked the waiter and received complimentary items free of charge - I would say the restaurant is generally not bad, especially considering the low prices (but someone from the management should push the guys in the kitchen do motivate them for a better outcome).

The position of the hotel is awesome - it is just one block from the beach and directly in the middle of everything. Walgreens in 3 blocks down on the Collinns (24hrs) and next to it is Aroma Espresso Bar with great coffee / breakfast. One block from the hotel is Puerto Sagua, great Cuban restaurant ($50 dinner for two). On the Washington ave is sushi joint called "Iron Sushi", where we had few times nice veg dinner (veg combo = sushi + miso soup) for $ 14 for both people. Sixt car rental is close from walgreens and on Washington ave there is bus stop, which takes you to Aventura mall in less than hour for $2 / person. Many shopping opportunities are few meters from the hotel - Armani Exchange, Zara, GAP, Victoria Secret etc.

There is complimentary shuttle from the airport, but be carefull, it is necessary to book a seat in advance - they have two cars riding in parallel - one is the big picture on their website and second is small white van, which has only 6 seats (we used this one for both ways) - on the way from the airport there were exactly 6 people and on the way back, some girls in the morning tried to book the seats for shuttle at 2pm but they were refused - so better do it at least one day in advance (at least for the ride back to MIA airport).

Staff in the reception - Andrew was really nice and helpfull, he is the real pro - there was one more guy (dont know the name) - we did not interact with him - and one more girl, which acted quite arrogant - but helped us with all the stuff we needed.

Whitelaw is not exactly my heart-place, but I can recommend it without any doubts, and I might come back next year (but I will definitely consider other options as well).

Room Tip: Book the seats in the free airport shuttle.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Hotel has a cool nightclub/bar and the lobby/ check-in are in the mist of it. So it is loud. Took 2 hours to check-in. Valet never showed up. Front desk clerk was not helpful. Very loud music from Lobby Nightclub. We were on the second floor and the music was terribly loud. Rooms are tight but ok. Bed-comfortable. Porter was helpful and friendly but did not speak English so to get additional information was a no-go. Location is good. But would never stay here again as they made me very uncomfortable with my credit card & ID.

Room Tip: Get away from lobby if you want to sleep
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Good Afternoon Mercie C,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your honest feedback! I am glad to read that you liked the style of our lobby. I am terribly sorry to read that the valet never showed up. I will let the valet company know of that. It is an outside company that we use. I am sure that they were just extremely busy going and getting other cars. This is still no excuse. We apologize on their behalf! Our staff is always eager to assist our guests but I am sorry that we feel short on this one! We do offer other rooms that are in the back of the hotel, where our guests can catch up on their Zzzz. We would have been able to switch your room if we had availability. I am sorry that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us!
We hope that you have a great weekend!

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I booked this hotel with a very good discount. It is just one avenue behind ocean drive, you don't need to worry that you are off the beach. Actually, you can found lots of nice restaurants, shops, bars at this place. The location is just perfect! The hotel offers a small drink at their happy hour. Most importantly, they have free shuttle from/to the airport! The only pity thing is that the bath is very small and it's very noisy at night! But I won't complain at all! Nice experience!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon Cicimen520,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback on your recent stay with us! I am very glad to read that you were content with your stay! We are indeed blocks away from all the things to do here on South Beach! I see that you were able to take advantage of our wonderful complimentary cocktail hour and our R/T shuttle service! We do have rooms that are more towards the back for those guests who would like to catch up on their sleep. We hope that you would stay with us again on your next visit to SoBe!!! :)

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Traveled with my two girlfriends during the last week of March. Had a great time. It was during the Ultra Music Festival. Super trendy hotel, the lobby greeted you with techno music during all hours of the day... and night. It was fine though once you got to your room. You couldn't hear the music from down stairs. It was fun coming out of the elevator when you're getting ready to leave. Pre-party in the lobby, then head to the beach, dinner, clubs, whatever. Staff was great. The location was just two-three blocks from Ocean's restaurants and then the beach. In addition, it was close to the stores, so you didn't have to travel far to shop. The lunch/dinner patio was inviting and the food was delicious. I liked staying at the boutique hotel vs a chain because it gave you a different feel for the city. We felt like we had a little apt that no one knew about. decor was trendy and inviting, and all white, which for us is very miami. Hope you choose to stay here. Enjoy! Not really welcoming to families looking for the pool, etc. I would think that it attracts people in their early 20s-early 40s.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the higher floors for views and not hear the music coming from the lobby.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Luckynomad,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful review on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am glad that you chose to stay with us for WMC and Ultra Week!! It was a memorable time here at Whitelaw Hotel! I see that you found our staff to be great! They are always eager to assist you! We are indeed in the heart of South Beach within walking distance to shops, restaurants, clubs, the beach, etc. I am glad that you gave our restaurant a try! They do have delicious food!! We hope to have you stay with us again in the future!

Katrine

Been to Whitelaw Hotel? Share your experiences!