“Awful 2nd stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Awful 2nd stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed here last year and we were very happy so we booked a longer stay this year.

We requested a room away from the lobby as we know this can be noisy. We arrived a little after 8pm on Saturday night, we got room 101, right next to the lobby.

The walls were pulsing with the music, this went on to 5 am. We tried calling the lobby with no answer. We were moved the next day.

As time went on there were lots of little problems. This included the person who inspects the mini bar stating we had eaten and drunk items which we had not touched. Our door did not fully close without pushing hard, it was even slightly open a few days after housekeeping was in. Telephone did not work, sinks blocked with hair.

Everytime we reported any problems to reception we were advised that they need to speak with the supervisor and get back to us. We are still waiting. Or a popular response was 'they do not work for us so we will have to look into it'.

We did not get any reponse from managers or supervisors.

I would not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Good Afternoon,

Your honest feedback is greatly appreciated!! I am very glad that you chose to come back to stay with us a 2nd time! Very sorry to read that it wasn't as enjoyable as the first time. Do you remember who you spoke with at the reception? I would like to look into this issue furthur to see why nothing was done about the door or your phone.

I am looking forward in hearing back from you.

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Brazil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

It`s not so expensive as ocean drive hotels, the rooms where renewed and clean, close to many interesting points in a walking distance... We didn't feel the noise of the loby parties, 'cos our room was the last one on the hallway. The staff was kind. The elevator is old and slow, but that was not a problem.

Room Tip: Rooms in the end of the hallway are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Good Day Vivi and Jeff,

Thank you for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests tor read! The Whitelaw offers great prices with many great amenities that come along. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's walking distance to shopping, ocean drive, the beach, food and the location is just great.

The hotel itself... looks a little rundown and the elevator scares me. The room has no outlets- well maybe 3 and two that are occupied by the fridge and tv-- so basically, no outlets. There's one in the closet and that's just inconvenient. The beds were comfortable enough-- the sheets were stiff. The service was good because I'm super low maintenance anyways and I don't expect or need much. There's no pool here but there is a sun deck. Stayed here because it was cheap and I didn't spend any time in the room anyways.

No trouble with checking in or checking out. The staff was super nice, bartenders are fun and it's a functional party hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Esther,

Your honest feedback on Trip Advisor is appreciated! I am sorry that you did not find the hotel to fit your standards. Very glad to read that the service was good as well as the check in and check out process. Were you able to take advantage of the complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8?
Thank you for taking your time to post your feedback!

Have a wonderful day!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed @ Whitelaw from 10/26 to 10/31 and had a Wonderful stay..From Jose checking me in @ 2am and Sterling answering All of my questions to the bartender whose name escapes me it was all good..The water was hot, the nightly partying was turned down promptly at midnight and there were No Bugs in my room.

This was one of the nicest hotels that I've stayed in around in the area..The only thing missing is a pool but the beach is one block over...

• Stayed October 2012
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your kind feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad to read that you had a wonderful stay with us! I will let Jose and Sterling know of your wonderful praise! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Have a wonderful day!

Regards,

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here with a group of friends for a short trip in Miami. The room was very clean and the shower was hot! There is a nice little lounge downstairs if you want to pre-party or after-party. The only problem we had was the noisy people above us who sounded like they were playing a game of intense soccer at 8am the next morning. Otherwise, this hotel is inexpensive and a close to everything happening on South Beach. Warning... parking here is crappy but so is everywhere else in Miami.

Room Tip: Based on my experience with loud stomping, I would advise to get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Steve_Sbg_Vibe_Mgr, Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
tristabrophy,

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel during your short trip to Miami with your friends. We hope you were able to enjoy our great amenities, such as daily happy hour for all of our guests. I apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced from the guest above you. I wish you would have told our staff about the noise so that we could have assisted with the matter. We hope that you will stay with us again soon.

Steven Morales,
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

this was my 4th time staying here and i will never again.. went for my bday weekend Oct.12-15 and card was charge for stay prior to arrival... At check in found out that i was charged twice for the Whitelaw and twice for the Chesterfield which is a assistant hotel... Check-in rep Andre was the worst no sympathy at all. I had to contact my bank as well as the hotel Manager Carolina was contacted to get charges straight. Everything again was paid in full, check my account the day after check out and saw that my card was charged again for another complete stay and for parking 3 days and i didnt have a car. My account is now overdrawn and ive been contacting the hotel and no returned call since... i will never advise this hotel or stay again.. Ill stick to my 4-5 star hotels as normal for my Southbeach vacations....Nice decorated hotel but room had mold my allegeries were on over flow... Comfy bed but service sucks!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Steve_Sbg_Vibe_Mgr, Manager at Whitelaw Hotel, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Lakisha M,

I have reviewed your account in reference to the charges during your stay. The charges for the Chesterfield were refunded to your account once the error was noticed. As for the valet parking the manager did refund the 96 dollars to your account for the valet parking. We are truly sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We hope you reconsider your next visit to Miami and stay with us as this was an isolated issue. We look forward to your return.

Steven Morales,
Markham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Great hotel only complaint is the water temperature. It doesn't get hot but from what I heard alot of other hotels have this problem. The music is loud but only during happy hour which wasn't a problem at all. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. My room was very clean. There were no bugs and plenty of fresh towels (room 201-one king bed). I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Be prepared to take a cold shower.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Shay C.,

Thank you for writing a review of your stay. I have forwarded your issue to management to see why you had this issue. We will make sure the issue is resolved as soon as possible. We are happy to hear that you will be staying with us again, we look forward to seeing you soon.

Steven Morales
Vibe Manager

Been to Whitelaw Hotel? Share your experiences!