“Awesome experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #84 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Puerto Rico
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

I recently arrived from a Miami Beach vacation with a very good friend. After reading few of the reviews we were a little afraid about choosing the Miami Beach Resort and Spa for our short stay.

I need to tell you...We had a great experience, hope my review helps if you are planning a trip to Miami Beach.

After 4 hours of delay (American Airlines flight - terrible service) we arrived to the Miami Int Airport. We decided to avoid car rentals, and took a taxi to Collins Avenue (were our hotel was). We paid $32.00 for the taxi from the airport to our hotel (maybe 25 minutes drive).
At the time of the checkin we were greeted by a very courteous lady at the front desk. Check in process was really fast. I told the front desk lady we were celebrating my friend's birthday and she told us she was going to send her a gift to our room. In addittion she gave us a $50.00 coupon to be spent in the hotel (food, drinks etc...). Excellent !!!!

The room with two full size beds was clean. Lots of storage. Nice vew to the Ocean. Decor is a little bit outdated.

We decided to have dinner outside the Hotel so we went to the Espanola Way...Very warm street with an excellent environment. We tried Tapas and Tintos and our experience was the best. We did the Special ( paella, langosta and a bottle of wine for $70) in addition we selected two one of their different tapas...Dedos del Diablo was marvelous. I strongly reccommend to try that! Service at the restaurant was great...Low lights with spanish music in the background and if you dare even salsa lessons you will find at this small but very rich restaurant.

When we arrived to the Hotel we found out my friend gift on our room (a bottle of wine, crackers and cheese and some fruit). Even a post card congratulating my friend on her birthday.

Next day we went to the Hotel Salon and Spa Facilities...another great experience. The Spa is considered to be boutique since their facilities are small but in a great shape. The service at the spa was incredible...the front desk lady which I was told is the owner was the finest lady I have ever met. She was very courteous and friendly. We were looking for a deep tissue massage. Pilar and Miriam our massage therapists were excellent...the experience was mesmerizing. I hope to be back soon to their spa facilities.

The Hotel location is great (beachfront). Although it is a little bit far from SOBE for only $2.00 you can take a ride on the Metrobus (Bus S and 120 Beach Max moves you from the Aventura Mall to the AA Arena if you have time because of their multiple stops). We consider that a great value.

Restaurants inside the Hotel were great. Breakfast buffet for $19.00. Dinner Special for $22 - $26. Service exceeded my expectations.

I hope to be back again. The service is the best!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

1,923 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Turkish first
New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

After reading all the reviews I was so nervous that I went through with booking this hotel. I am so thrilled that I did. What an amazing deal.
The staff was beyond friendly. The room, though dated, was clean and had an amazing ocean view. I cannot believe that anyone was upset with the value. At $186 a night it was a tremendous value. The price of food is no different then any beach resort.
The walk to the action of south beach was an easy walk during the day and an $8 cab ride at night.
We would absolutely go back. The only thing lacking was a terrace but we dealt with it based on the great deal.

NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2010

Having stayed at the Ritz Carlton last September, my friends and I were a bit nervous to stay in this hotel due to the many negative reviews here. But since we're 20-somethings living on a non-Ritz budget right now, we had no choice but to stay here. Between comments about poor service and lack of cleanliness, we really didn't know what to expect going in, but after spending a weekend here I can assure you this hotel is wonderful. Upon arrival, we noticed how beautiful the lobby is, and we discovered shortly after that the rooms were nice as well. Very clean, spacious, great view - and that's pretty much all I care about. It's not as modern as some other hotels, but who cares? Do I mind the pink bathroom walls and the black checkered floors? Not at all. My friends and I joked that the second we got home, one of us would write a glowing review to debunk any myths about this hotel. My one and only "gripe" is that the pool area gets shady after around 2PM because the hotel next door blocks the sun. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Scotia, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

I thought I was getting a good deal on the room rate, but then didn't expect all the additional expenses. Resort fee of $12 for WHAT? There are beach towels supplied and lounge chairs in the pool area, but if you go out on the beach you have to pay to rent chairs and umbrellas. The hot tub was not any hotter than the pool. Parking is $25 a day, plus a tip every time you get or return your car. Food and beverages are expensive, and the mixed drinks are weak.

I also did not like the location. Too far from shops and restaurants to walk. Getting your car from valet parking is a hassle, plus downtown it is hard to find parking. What we ended up doing is using the bus, since there's a handy bus stop in front of the hotel. I think if I came to Miami Beach again I would stay closer to things.

Not to beat up on the hotel too much but I had two other complaints: First, when something of mine rolled under the bed during the second day of my stay, and I had to retrieve it, I saw that under the bed was filthy, with an old beer bottle and old shoe. Housekeeping did clean under the beds on my request. Secondly, I called down for a first aid kit and was told someone would bring it right up, and they never did (I finally just went to sleep and got my own antibiotic ointment & bandaids in the morning).

The beach outside the hotel was nice but nothing else positive stands out about this hotel.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010 via mobile

I was pretty nervous to stay here after reading all the reviews but it really isn't that bad. Yea if you are used to a Ritz then this might not be the place for you. The registration staff was very helpful and kind, as well as the bell staff. Our room was decent, a little too close to the elevator but I sleep with ear plugs anyway. The bathroom was very dated but clean. The beds were pretty comfy and the linnens were clean and without stains. The only thing that was a bit of a turn off was the built in closets which smelled old. The food here was pricy and not that great, but it really is the only thing close to here to eat. The alcoholic beverages were outragously priced and not worth it. The pool was nice, and the pool staff even nicer bringing around fruit skewers and chilled towels on the hot days.

• Stayed March 2010
Birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

Me and my partner stayed at this hotel as most of the hotels down on south beach were full due to a number of confrences going on in the Miami area.
I read the reviews but having looked at he hotel website and also seeing that it was a Virgin Holidays hotel i thought it wouldnt be too bad and decided to give it a try.

The lobby area of the hotel was very attractive, marbel floors, crystal chandaleirs etc.... we checked in quickly and the hotel staff were reasonably efficient if not lacking a bit of confidence in what they were talking about.

We got into our room, we had paid extra for the "Spectacular Ocean View" and i have to say it certainly was spectacular and well worth the extra money! the bed was huge and very comfortable but other than that the rest of the room was fairly tired, capets were bleached by the sun coming through the window leaving marks where furniture had been moved around, windows had been bolted shut and painted over so you couldnt open the windows to fully appreciate the view, bathrom was quite small and basic and looked clean to the eye but when you looked closely it wasnt really that clean round the taps etc. Overall it was fairly tired, but nothing some new furniture and a fress lick of paint and a good clean wouldnt sort out.

The hotel staff weren't the most helpful, the concierge was very experienced and very helpful but once he'd gone home you had to speak to the front desk staff nd they really didnt have a clue about anything we asked them, all we wanted to do was get a messga to the car rental company to change the collection time but they didnt even know what company the hotel books with let alone a phone number to contact them on.

The buffet breakfast was great, everything you could want but once again the staff let it down by having a very "i cant be bothered" approach to everything. we asked to sit next to the window to see out onto the the pool area and the response we got was a roll of the eyes and then the staff member walked off.

The maid that we saw on our floor most dys was also quite rude, at 730 AM on morning i went out the room and politely asked if she would mind not slamming doors as we were trying to sleep and she just started yabbering away in spanish and walked off.

The pool area was okay, not much to say about it really just a pool with sun beds and a bar which was occasionally open, once it got to about 2pm though the entire pool area as in shade by the shadow from the hotel itself so most people tended to relocate to the beach.

If you want to be down on south beach near the shops and trendy bars and restaurants this isnt the place to stay, its a 20 block walk and will take you a good 40 mins, or a 10 min cab drive which cost us between $10 - $14 each way, this certainly added up over the course of a week.

New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

HORRIBLE! Everythign abot this hotel was poor with the exception of the size of the junior suite. They did not have a room available in the category that we paid for so they offered to upgrade us to a suite for an ADDITIONAL charge! Otherwise we would have had to sleep in 2 seperate beds! No king sizes. The elevator got stuck with us in it. You could hear people in the other rooms. The lighting in the room was not good for putting on make-up. The comforter looked so old and dirty I was scared to sleep in the bed. There was no hot water in our shower on Sunday morning and we had a closet that smelled like smoke.

There is no sun at thepool in the afternoon because the high rise tower next door blocks it after 1 pm...so plan to go to the beach. There is no hot tub even though the pictures appear as there is..it's a kiddie pool. And none of the employees spoke english so don't ask for help from any one other then the front desk.

Everything about this place was just old a gaudy...not old and quaint as you would hope. I have stayed at budget hotels that were SIGINIFICANTLY nicer then this place. NOT worth the money!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Miami Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!