“Nice Gem on the Beach” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Orlando
“Nice Gem on the Beach”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed at the Miami Beach Resort and Spa on 4/9/2009. It was for my husband birthday. The hotel and staff were wonderful. I do not understand that people have complaints about this hotel. The hotel is located on the beach in Miami they have wonderful room view of the ocean. You cannot get it better then that on the Beach unless you pay a whole lot more. I would like to give one little advice for the travelers to take the public transportation instead of the taxi’s it is much cheaper and better or to walk it. Traffic on Miami Beach and South Beach is terrible.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

1,903 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Turkish first
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2009

We stayed here from March 28-29th. I had made reservations directly through the hotel ahead of time. I had booked two ocean front rooms and had requested that the rooms be connecting rooms. Upon our arrival (at 3pm), we were told that they no longer had ocean front rooms or any type of connecting rooms, whatsoever. The manager kept repeating, with a condescending smile on her face, "it's our fault," "we made a mistake." It boggles my mind that had we not shown up on the day of our reservation, the hotel would have charged my credit card for two ocean front rooms, but yet, we do show up, the rooms we reserved (with confirmation numbers and all) are not available, and all they have to say is "we made a mistake"? Even aside from the reservations debacle, the hotel itself is gross. The online pictures are, to put it nicely, deceiving. The windows are filthy. The room decor is outdated and worn. Our bed didn't even have a comforter, and the bathrooms are slightly scary. All in all, I'd say stay away!

jacksonvile, fl
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

I was traveling in the Florida Keys with my 2 teenage Children and they wanted to stay in Miami Beach before we departed. We found an available room at The Miami Beach Resort on the Internet and while driving I booked a room directly with the hotel at !0 AM. The lady handling the reservation offered to give me the confirmation code for the reservation but since I was driving she offered to send it to me via email. I agreed. We arrived at the hotel at 2:15 PM and multiple people were checking in. When I gave the receptionist my name and credit card information they apparently lost my reservation and thhe hotel was now full. I told her that If I could access the internet my reservation information would be easy to locate. They would not help me help them. The manager the came out briefly and took my credit card into a back room and vanished for 30 minutes. I took out my computer and after some work I was able to find an internet connection on my own and located all my reservation information. I passed the information off to the receptionist who seemed reluctant to help me at first because the manager was handling the case.Ffinally a little after 3 pm they gave me my room. In the meantime the bellman had abandoned my luggage so nobody was watching it. They were never apoligetic and treated me like I was the bad guy. The next day I complained to the morning manager and she discovered that they had made a new reservation for me but that the old one was still in the computer and they almost charged me for failing to show for my original reservation. She said that I should be happy that they checked me in early. Frankly, if they said the room wasn't ready but we will hold your luggage until it is I would have been happy. I just wanted to go to the beach and relax.

Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

Tagged along with my husband on a business trip. He chose to stay here because it was the very hotel where his conference was taking place so he thought it would be convenient. First off, aesthetically speaking the place could use some serious updating. Rooms were large, but the closets smelled of mildew and I actually saw some in the bathroom. The carpets were old and tired and the windows were dirty. Though most of the waitstaff were very nice, the bartenders at the Seabreeze restaurant made AWFUL cocktails. The bar at the hotel's fancier restaurant was a little better. It seemed like someone was always having a problem at the front desk so checking in/out took forever. No other restaurants nearby, outside of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

Only stopped for 1 night as en-route to Mexico.

Lobby great, but rooms tired and dated.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
PEI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

My wife and I and our three children recently stayed at this hotel for 4 nights before we started our cruise which left from Miami. It was one of the hotels recommended by the cruise line therefore we felt comfortable in booking our stay there. I checked the hotel website and the photos looked very appealing (however in hindsight I would say misleading). I wish I had checked Tripadvisor.com prior to booking as the reviews I have read are certainly mixed. Unfortunately our stay was an extremely bad experience. Although the lobby was clean and impressive there was a complete lack of cleanliness in our two rooms and the hallway where our rooms were located. Unfortunately our hotel was prepaid and our travel agent advised us we may have difficulty getting a refund if we checked out and moved to another hotel.

Our problems began at check-in. We had booked adjoining rooms, one for my wife and I, and one for our three children. The rooms we were given were not adjoining. We spent approximately one hour at the front desk until the front desk lady (who did the best she could) was able to arrange adjoining rooms for us (#617 & #619). This may have been the root of our problems because when we arrived at our newly assigned rooms they were filthy. They had been made up but they were simply not clean. The decor was drab and dated, however I can live with that (I work for a company that operates a value priced hotel). Visible dirt on the walls, doors, toilet bowl etc. are something I cannot live with. Our windows overlooked the building next door with absolutely no possibility of a partial water view. Our only view was of concrete and the construction workers who were refurbishing the balconies next door. The rooms were poorly maintained and desperately needed a new coat of paint. The bottom of the bathroom door in our room was chipped and delaminating as it appeared there was water damage of some sort and it did not close properly. There was no ironing board or luggage stands in our room so I had to use the ones in our kids room (they had the ironing board but no iron). A coffee maker was provided however only one mug was provided. That did not change for the four days we were there.

The kids room was in better condition than ours however their shower was terrible because half of the holes in the showerhead were clogged resulting in very poor water flow. The first night my oldest son came into our room and indicated that something was wrong with his bed as the bottom sheet felt strange down by his feet.. When I checked I found that the housekeeping staff had put the sheets on with the long portion of the sheet across the bed rather than lengthwise on the bed. Therefore his feet were on the mattress cover. If I really let my imagination run wild I can see someone doing this once, but it happened again on another night as well.

My wife complained to the front desk staff and also met with the hotel manager the next day to advise him of the situation. We were provided with a complimentary buffet breakfast the next day and the Hotel manager conceded that the rooms probably needed a "deep cleaning" however we noticed no difference in the state of the room or hallway for the duration of our stay. In fact the second sheet incident occurred after we had complained to the manager.

The lack of cleanliness was not limited to the room as the woodwork in the hallway had numerous black spots on it that appeared to be food that had somehow been spilled and not cleaned up on a timely basis and had now turned black. I made the mistake of looking up at the ceiling while waiting for the elevator and noticed red spegetti sauce had somehow been splashed on the ceiling and had not been cleaned.

We ate at the Sea Breeze pool side restaurant and bar the day we arrived. The food was OK but was very overpriced. The service was very poor which can only be attributed to the fact that an 18% gratuity is automatically added to the bill and the staff know that they do not have to earn it.

On the plus side we found the quality of the food and the level of service to be good at the buffet breakfast offered at the Hibiscus Restuarant located on the lower level of the hotel. All Hibiscus staff were friendly and courteous. I was very reluctant to eat at the restaurant given the lack of cleanliness in our rooms and hallway but I was pleasantly surprised. I can only assume that the Hibiscus operation is outsourced to someone other than the hotel operator.

The location on the beach was good however in order to access the boardwalk the best way to do it was to walk on the street for approx. one block and cut through the public parking lot to access the boardwalk.

We were very disappointed with this hotel and would not recommend it to anyone. We have advised the cruiseline that they should not be recommending it to their cruise customers.

Columbia, SC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

I would have scored this hotel higher had I wrote the review right after our stay. Overall, we enjoyed our stay in early March 2009. Since we had family joining us - we stayed in 2 different rooms. One on the 14th floor and one on the 12th. Both about the same size and decor. The room on the 12th floor had a bed that was noticeably more comfortable. Yes, the rooms are dated and the carpet must have been from the 70s, but it appeared to be clean-ish.

Room service was good - we had the burgers. We ate at the pool bar and had terrible service. I guess if you were getting an 18% tip, you wouldn't try hard either. The beach access was nice. The location of the hotel was ok. South Beach is a short bus trip/car drive away. Not a whole lot of eating options except for the hotels.

Negatives of our experience:
They lost our luggage when we checked out & changed rooms, but it was found about an hour later. A minor inconvenience...I guess I would freak out more if I was trying to leave to catch a flight.

Valet parking - overpriced. There are no other parking options near this hotel. If you stay at a property in South Beach, you might be able to find a lot that is cheaper.

Elevators - ARE SO SLOW. I'm serious when I say, plan to spend a significant amount of time waiting on them.

BEDBUGS - My girlfriend started finding these bites in groups of 3 on her neck, arms, and legs shortly after returning from vacation (in addition to headaches & fatigue). A little research showed that these were bedbug bites. Since this was the only hotel we stayed at on vacation, Its a good bet the critters came from this hotel (as they thrive in old linens and carpet) I'm now on laundry patrol & disinfecting our house. Thanks Miami Beach Resort & Spa.

On my next trip regardless of where I stay, I will be bringing Neem Oil (which is an herbal pesticide) to hopefully prevent any further incidents like this. I'd be curious to see how many of the "very good" or "excellent" reviews had this problem after they shared their opinion.

We probably will not stay here again, even if the price is right. Maybe after they renovate & fumigate.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Miami Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!