“security wouldn't report room robbery” 1 of 5 stars

Miami Beach Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4833 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #79 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Canada
“security wouldn't report room robbery”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in early December as part of a conference group. My room was robbed while I was at the conference - thankfully, I had my laptop and valuables with me. I reported the incident to security, and they simply wouldn't follow up. No report to the police, no internal investigation with the cleaning staff (there was no sign of forced entry into the room). They did offer me a mobile phone charger to replace the one that had been stolen, but even that came from some box of mobile phone chargers that people had left behind in their rooms, which seemed odd - I thought the reason for keeping them was to return them to their rightful owners.
I've been to Florida dozens of time, but this level of indifference set a new high watermark even by Floridian standards.
So, be warned - don't leave anything in your room.
Also be warned that you'll be charged a hefty "spa fee" regardless of whether you use the spa.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Miamifun_9, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Our management staff is extremely surprised about the contents of your review regarding an alleged theft. Our security staff did conduct an investigation and we can assure you that our cleaning staff did not take your phone charger. On the contrary, our Security Manager took the time to find a replacement phone charger and was able to solve the issue you reported. Our lost and found policy mirrors the Florida Inkeeper's law as we keep all lost and found items for 30 days unless they are claimed. The phone charger given to you had been in our lost and found office unclaimed for 4 months so we took the liberty to give you the charger as a courtesy.

I would also take the time to clarify that the Miami Beach Resort does not charge a Spa fee as you mentioned in your review. However, we do have a nightly $12 resort fee which includes complimentary Wi-Fi internet, daily newspaper and phone calls from your room among other benefits.

We respectfully ask our Trip Advisor readers to please disregard this review as it contains inaccurate information about our Resort. For any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me at emoya@luxuryresorts.com

1,799 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Turkish first
Alpharetta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife and I booked this hotel for 10 nights to spend our Christmas and new year eve with our kids. We checked out early after 3 nights. None of us could sleep peacefully because everyone complain of back pain due to bad condition of mattresses. On the 3rd night I asked the staffs if they could change us the room with better mattress, they said the all mattresses are old , they provided us with an old drywall to put under the mattress , the service man came with dirty and dark drywall and put under our mattress, now the room was smelling like toilet. It was a nightmare the kids couldn't stand the smell, further more the room has no microwave and fridge, this is very inconvenient if you are staying with kids. The hotel said If you want the microwave or fridge, you should pay $10 per day and $5 delivery fee if microwave or the fridge is available, otherwise they will put you on the waiting list to get the microwave. They have installed a small vending fridge machine to sell candies and drinks. they charge $4 per snicker or soft drink. This hotel is cheap, no respect to guest stay and comfort. It does not worth the money we paid. We decided to quit the hotel before you get sick of back pain and stress.

Dear Guest

We have taken the time to look into your comments written on this review and we are embarrased to learn about your poor experience. Since you left we have replaced the mattresses in that particular room and we have inspected every single bed board we have on inventory to insure it meets hotel standards. On behalf of our staff please accept our most sincere apologies.

The Miami Beach Resort does not have refrigerators or microwaves in every room, however they can be requested and for a $5 daily usage fee they can be placed in any room. The Resort will waive the fee for a refrigerator if it's needed for a medical condition.

Once again we sincerely regret you did not enjoy your stay and please feel free to contact me at any time so that I can personally insure you are 100% satisfied with our resolution to the issue you reported. My e-mail is Emoya@luxuryresorts.com
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

As other reviewers have commented, the lobby of this hotel is "grand." But wait 'til you get up to your room and you'll see the owners have given the place a very superficial (i.e. cheap) redecorating and the hotel, while adequate, is far from impressive. In fact, the window in our room was cracked and there was trash under one of the beds.

We all ordered sandwiches from the restaurant and the old adage that you shouldn't eat hotel food certainly did not apply here: All three sammies were delish!

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The hotel is the last remaining resort from the original Miami Beach Golden Era of the 1960s hence it has the grand lobby, large rooms, along with beachfront property with the bay on the other side of it.

It has NOT been redone in the generic "shopping center" manner that the neighboring Eden Roc and Fontainebleau hotels have been. They are all within a five minute walk from one another. The lobby is beautiful and the staff is terrific. The rooms although large, could probably use a facelift but they are spacious, clean and nice--not dingy.

The setting of the property on Collins Ave is truly astounding. Beautiful, I understand the hotel has a landmark status as it certainly deserves. It seems to be the safest too as there is nothing sleazy anywhere nearby. All top luxury hotels and condos for a mile in either direction without exception. This is a rarity in Miami Beach and the hotel is perfectly located on both sides for that reason. The hotel was once known as the Doral Hotel, after that I think it was both a Westin and Wyndam for a time.

I think the value is a good one, the place is a fine hotel. I found it to be a pleasure to be there--I wished I lived there!

Room Tip: Get a less expensive room facing south but on a high floor. This will give you a beautiful view of b...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We got a great rate on Expedia and had a vague idea of where the hotel was located. I understood that the hotel is an older hotel but I found this to be charming. I loved the fact that it was right on the beach. The pool is not an infinity pool but is big and serves its purpose. It is a low amenty hotel which means that if you are high maintenance, do not stay here. The service people that we met were very nice and did try hard to please - I really appreciated that. For the price and location - I would highly recommend this hotel. If you're dissatisfied with the hotel and its restaurant, you can just walk down the block to the Eden Roc or the Fontainebleau and spend mucho bucks on your room and lodging. Simple as that.

Room Tip: If you can't get an ocean view room try and get a partial ocean view with a partial view of Miam...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The hotel staff are very helpful. Other than that I dont have a good impression. Especially for the money. Location is bad. Far from most happening places. Room is dingy, old appliances, duct-taped wiring and pealing paint on the window sills. You have a good ocean view yet I have nothing to have fond memories of.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Bay City, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

hotel and lobby staff were professional. Hotel is at the most nothern end of South Beach near Mid beach more then south. rooms are dated needing paint, and a good cleaning. shower is dark and the room does not even have a safe, refrigagtor or microwave. Only parking is valet at $28 plus tip in and out a day with no other parking in the area (I checked) along with hidden resort fees and taxes etc. The ONLY reason it was good because it was a priceline bid and only cost $85 a night instead of thier listed 250 or more. I would not stay here again unless under $85 a night and I did not have a car to park.

Room Tip: ask for the higest floor and get an ocean/bay view. full bay is less money and full ocean is more.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Miami Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!