“Not a great choice for a conference site” 3 of 5 stars

Miami Beach Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4833 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #85 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Baltimore, Maryland
“Not a great choice for a conference site”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I recently stayed here for several nights for a conference. I can see that it might be enjoyable as a vacation destination -- beachfront, pool, etc. -- but it seemed really ill suited for business.

The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. However, the conference rooms seemed really dated and worn out. There were mold stains on the ceilings, and the wireless access was "broken." Pretty inconvenient for a conference. The continental breakfasts were kind of underwhelming (nothing hot). The one lunch we had was great, though, and was served in a room with a wonderful view.

My actual room also seemed pretty worn out, with chipped tiles in the bathroom and trim with lots of dings and scratches, old television set, glass missing from the framed painting over the bed. Outlets were few and far between, and the only work area in the room was a round table far from any outlet. Maybe that doesn't matter if you're on vacation but when traveling on business it's annoying to have to get on your hands and knees to plug something in behind the mini bar. The bed was very comfortable and the partial ocean view was very nice.

Miami Beach is not really my style and not someplace I would go of my own choice, mainly because everything is just so expensive! The hotel even required a $50 per night deposit for incidentals, which is pretty steep for someone on a university per diem. I never use room service or charge anything to the room, so I found that a pretty frustrating requirement on check-in.

As others have noted, it's not near anything in walking distance so unless you have a car you'll need to cab it everywhere. It cost me $33 in cab fare to get there from the Miami International Airport. Cabs are plentiful and easy to find, but not really in my budget. Unfortunately, neither was $28 per day to garage a rental car.

I probably sound like a real cheapskate, but for me it was a difficult place to be on a travel budget. For those people looking to book conference space I would not recommend this hotel based on my experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The Hotel & Staff exceeded our expectations ; Key staff were the best & the room was high quality .
The Hotel has the good fortune of large rooms & very good staff, the food front is very well covered not a chance on the lack of choice .

The staff were very helpful on food selection & vegetarian food requested by my wife , this was not a problem .

Room Tip: My room had joint views of the Sea & Water Way fronting the Hotel .
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was attending a conference in Miami Beach and this was one of the hotels that the organization put on their list. I was extremely disappointed. The lobby was very nice upon arrival. That was about the only nice part of the stay. Upon check-in, we had to wait for a very long time. Come to find out their credit card machine was broken and all credit cards had to manually be called in. I had reserved a king room for my husband and me, he was attending the same conference. No king rooms were available until after 5pm but we had to change and get to our conference by 5.The clerk said he would take one out of order so we could move the following morning. We decided that was fine and took a room with 2 beds. I asked if they were at least queen size and was told yes. Not a true statement and the room was awful. Two double beds, peeling paint, black & white checked bathroom floor with pink paint, etc. The view, "partial ocean view", overlooked the nastiest and most unappealing roof top I have seen. I immediately called the front desk and asked to be moved. I was told I could not be moved until the next day because now that we had "entered" the room they would have to send housekeeping in, even though we had not even touched anything in the room. I agreed to move the next day since I had already been assured a king room was "out of order" and on hold for me. The next morning we packed our bags, went to the front desk only to be told there was no king room available. Grr... They stored our bags for the day and once we returned that evening we were put in a king room with a much better view. However, the rooms are old and dirty and in major need of a renovation. One of the closets had crumbs or something all over the floor. Frankly, it was just gross. An example of the service - we went to the pool one afternoon and asked the attendant if there were more towels available since the bin was empty. His response? "NO". That's it! The rest of the service was about the same. No one seemed to care and treated you rudely. Bottom line, I would never return. Also note, there are no restaurants in the area. Had to cab it to get anywhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Newton MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed here to be close to famlily and it seemed to be the best value when I did my "research" for hotels in the area. The hotel could use some updating (old TV in the room...no flatscreen) but otherwise was great. The room was big, clean and quiet. The pool area was especially nice, and they even came around to offer guests fruit.Good security, excellent location, helpful staff. I'd definately stay again when I visit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hyattsville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed at Miami Beach Resort the first weekend of October. I have to say from the reviews that I read this resort was nothing like it. Reviews are good but sometimes you have to see things for yourself. I have to say my visit there was very great. I stayed in the Jr Suite. Very spacious, nice and clean, oh and the stuff was pleasant all the time. We had a great view of the ocean. We got out and caught the bus or a cab where ever we needed to go. I would stay there again.....

Room Tip: The jr suite is very spacious. It sleep 6 people.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed at the resort for two days before a cruise to the Bahamas. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms are in need of a refresh which we heard is in the works. Bar drinks are a bit pricey and the bar is only open until 11:00. Pool bar open until 7:00.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

While this hotel is in a great location in Miami Beach (in Collins Ave., near Fontainebleau), common areas are nice, and rooms have a good size with a lot of closet room, nothing else works.

The quality of the service is a gamble; some members of the staff are very nice but some are either rude or unable to help you. First night there was an annoying sound coming from the next room, like a smoke detector alarm, but the maintenance guy said he couldn't hear it, then he said it could be "sounds the building makes" and that if that would bother us enough to sleep. He promised he would come back to try to fix it but never did. The sound didn't stop until the third day.

When one of the keys stopped working, they were unable to fix it on the front desk because everybody was in a meeting and they had a young lady accountant covering, which obviously did not know how to fix keys. When a bell man was asked to accompany me to the room to let me in, he said in a rude manner that he was busy and walked out. I had to wait around 20 minutes for somebody from security to open the door.

Maybe the worst part is (I am writing this from the room; staying until tomorrow) the shower. You just cannot set a constant water temperature. It goes from cold to hot back to cold and so on. This has never happened to me before in any hotel, and I've been in much "cheaper" ones.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Miamifun_9, Manager at Miami Beach Resort and Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort and share with us your experience regarding our staff and our hospitality. We find great value in your detailed and constructive comments where you point out our shortcomings and areas that we must continue to improve.

I have addressed these issues with our guest services staff as well as our maitenance team and oh behalf of all of us, we would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenices you may have experienced.

We sincerely hope to regain your confidence for a future visit to Miami.

Been to Miami Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!