“A reservation means nothing! Never again!” 3 of 5 stars

You added Miami Beach Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Miami Beach Resort and Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4833 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140   |
Ranked #85 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
“A reservation means nothing! Never again!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I will honestly say that when I first looked into hotels for myself and a large group of friends, staying on Ocean Drive was our first choice. We had stayed at Hotel Victor the year before and loved the location. However, once I researched this hotel the pictures of the rooms and price structure sold me. I then convinced all my friends to do the same. Boy were we fooled! Never ever again and will be sure to pass the message via facebook to all my friends and all travel sites! First - we booked our room about 5 months in advance for a double bed room as it was an all ladies trip and my roommate and I wanted our own sleeping space. En route to the hotel (read boarding the plane) from NC my roommate called to let me know that they only had a king available and that they would provide a rollaway for $15 extra. I advised her to let them know we reserved a double partial ocean room. They unkindly let me know that "bedding is not guaranteed" and they did not hv anything else available! Mind you this was at 1pm. Official checkin was not till 4pm! We advised we would wait till they had available... they let mr know that they would not have anything available at all! Well... how was everyone else given a double but we were not? So once I arrived I asked to speak to someone about the accommodation and while on line observed them giving doubles to other people in front of me that obviously were checking in later. To make matters worst they offered another group in my party a room WITH NO BED and just a pull out couch because they did not have a room availabe for them although they also had a reservation. So lets continue - I let them know that since they were at 100% capacity we would be more than happy to cancel our reservation and go somewhere else. They tell us that is fine but we would still be charged! WTH! Needless to say pissed as we all were we were exhausted from travelling. Once we arrived in the room... it was extremely small the bathroom disgusting and our patience running thin!

I am very happy to report that my friends and I along with our families will never stay at this facility again or any affiliates. Not worth it. I would rather pay more then experience the lackluster customer service and small rooms. Great customer service = happy customers .... hands down

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

My family of four arrived for a 5 night stay i two rooms. One obviously fairly recently refurbished, and the other equally obviously not.

The old room was very "tired" and worn. The carpet miscolored and trodden, bathroom small and with lots of evidence of the times gone by, however the room was clean.
Shower: Standing in the tub.
TV: Old 4:3.
No safe.

The new room was refurbished, bur NOT with and apparent success. I own an entrepreneur business, and with a first hand experience in these matters I can only say that I would never have accepted this as a finished product:
Electric: lots of switches, no system to what controls what or whether " up" or "down" is on or off, and a few doing nothing. One of the lamps had to be turned on and of by inserting/pulling the plugg from the socket behind the minibar...
TV: new flat screen, however with half the channels blurry and unfocused.
Shower: Nice shower niche, however the choice of tiles with pores and with mosaic on the floor, allowes for the growth of black fungi not removable by daily cleaning - plenty of that present! The tile layer must have had a bad day with the floor: the mosaic floor is not flat, but "wavy", hence the small puddles of water not flowing into the drain. No hot water second to last day, maintenance fixed it, gone again the last day (no shower before plane ride!)
New sink: form over function! Square flat bottom with drain at the highest point and seriously slow drain (had maintenance visit twice to try to fix). Lot of miscoloration in corners made it look dirty even though it was clean.
Tile floor in entire room - Nice, however they might want to take off a bit of the bottom of the entrance door, it catches rather badly on the tiles since the old floor was lower...
No safe in this room either.

Medium breakfast quality - not worth the price of aprox 22$ for a buffet (incl tip)

The slowest four elevators on the northern hemisphere!!!

Valet parking only: 28$ pr day

Service minded and fast luggage service.

"Special access" to pool area requiring visitors to wear "bracelet" to enter something ordinary. Can't see the point!
Further access to public beach with NO included acomodations for hotel guests. Payed 50$ for 4 sunbeds and a parasol.

Waited 35 minutes for a Consierge that "should be back in 5 minutes" everytime I asked where he was, before I "blew up" and demanded to talk to the manager. Got good service from her.

Seems to be a "night over" hotel for group travelleling youth from South America. We were "overrun" several times by these hoards of 30-100 teenage girls, and there were no doubt when the were staying on our floor.

Presented all these matters during stay and at check out, with a hope of a small price reduction as a token of professional treatment. Would have had to go on an inspection rund with a supervisor berfore checkout to be able to get any form of reduction. They were not able to do this without me present after we had left, and then give a suitable discount of their own discretion. I had a bagatell of a plane to catch, and therefore had no time for this...

NOT comming back!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was not thrilled with the location The view of the bay was nice. I booked package thru travel agency and was not aware of the valet parking fee of $28.00 per day when I got there. In addtion to the resort fees that they charge daily.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Greenbelt
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My sister and I decided to stay here and were very disappointed...The lobby was nice and the service was great but the furniture in the lobby was so dirty and stained. We were given a wrist band and couldn't figure out why...so we asked and it was to get us back into the hotel when we visited the beach. Now what was the resort part...nothing. This is a hotel that charges a resort fee for the extra money. You are given a towel for the pool but you do not get a beach chair nor umbrella for the beach and for 200 a night, it's the least a "resort" can do. The view was breath taking for extra but the room was small and we asked for double beds and got a king....had to have a roll away bought in. The restaurant in the hotel closed early and there are no convenient ones in the immediate area so you either have to eat at the pool bar or catch a cab in town. The elevators are slow and take forever, the beds are not turned down, the furniture is old and the toilet paper is a mile from the toilet, the shower is weak and the room was small, the windows don't open and there is no balcony, they did not replace the soap, shampoo or the cups for coffee, the ice machine is on another floor and some are not working so you have to travel to yet another floor, the prices are outrageous for what you actually get. Will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Not a this place
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Tampa, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We picked this hotel because from the ratings and pictures and easy access to the beach. We were fooled. It was a toss up between the Hilton downtown Miami or a so-called beach resort. I lost the battle. We came here with the kids so we needed a room with 2 beds and if we had have gone with the Hilton we would have gotten 2 queen size beds. My impression of what a beach resort is supposed to be was completely disappointed when I arrived at the Miami Beach Resort.

Arrival - valet costs $28 a day you'd think the valet guys would at least greet you for that kind of money. It was chaos on the short little half circle of a driveway they call an entrance. Cars everywhere, people unsure of who actually worked there, and luggage occupying what little space there was.

Staff - most looked tired and uninterested. The guy handling our bags had zero expression on his face and appeared catatonic. Not a word was uttered as he brought our bags inside and left them on the stairs blocking up even more valuable front entrance space.

Decor - I've read reviews of the place looking gotti and straight out of the scarface movies which I will agree but I kind of liked that. It gave the place a bit of old Hollywood charm. However, upon closer inspection this hotel is in a serious need of some cosmetic upgrades. Their carpets throughout are in terrible shape, lighting fixtures should be modernized instead of those cheap crystal chandeliers, and their banquet rooms need to be revamped so weddings instead funerals are held there.

Customer volume - this place was so busy! There were people crawling all over the place and the front desk was all hands on deck.

Front desk - my husband dealt with the front desk but we ended up having 2 reservations instead of 1 when we revised our length of stay for 2 nights instead of 1. So the trainee at the front desk told my husband that we would have to come down in the morning check out and then check back in. How odd and inefficient is that?

Baggage concierge - they left our bags in a corner unattended until we got our room number. As we were waiting for the elevator to go up to our room the baggage concierge cut off both my family and another family with a baby stroller to get in the elevator before us! He took up all the room in the elevator with the baggage dolly that we couldn't all fit. Rude much!

Room - small, dirty, old, closets smelled of mold and mildew, the tv was a rear projection from the 1980s and the beds were doubles with no pillow tops. The pillows were so soft that as soon as we put our heads on them we would sink right down. We called down to housekeeping asking for some other kind of pillows and the girl snickered and chuckled like I was asking for too much. I remember her name but won't post it here.

Pool - dirty, murky couldn't even see the bottom of the pool and the "guard" wouldn't let us go take a quick look without our bracelets. Seriously, bracelets? The bar outside was filthy and again the staff all just seemed uninterested.

Final verdict - we won't be coming back and my husband agrees to let me win the next time we travel and stay at the Hilton.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

i have to say, this is one of the best resorts ive had the chance to stay at. I was on business and was a short stay but the facilities were great, staff brilliant and amazing value for money. I will be back!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Upon arrival, the outside of the hotel looked promising. It looked fairly new and the lobby seemed clean, although the mediterranean decorum was a bit over done and tacky. As we got our key and went up to the room, I noticed the hallways were dimly lit and the paint on the walls were chipping. It definitely didn't have the sparkle that the lobby did. Once we got to the room, we noticed the beds were oddly small...they sad the room had two full beds but they looked significantly smaller than that. The bathroom was probably the worst part; the toilet seat was literally about a foot off the ground. I believe these toilets were made for midgets or small children. It's incredibly difficult just to bend that low and do your business and, thats saying a lot for someone like me, who stands at an average 5'7''. Along with the toilets, the room didn't have a safe, the valet parking fee was a little too expensive for a hotel of such low quality and the room still carried on the tacky mediterranean theme they had in the lobby. The paint was chipping in the rooms and the windows were incredibly dirty. Also, the fact that there is a charge just to enjoy the hotels pool and other facilities is just ridiculous! Needless to say, after a few calls to the front desk and seeing just how little they respect there guests, we checked out. Don't stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Miami Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!