“Ok stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Far Hills, New Jersey
“Ok stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

The property was beautiful, the service at the restaurant was great and the rooms were nice. The location of the hotel was great for walking distance to restaurants & shopping. The cabanas on the beach were worth the extra $ and the servers were great. The only problem I (and my fellow travelers) had was the service manager at the front desk. The front desk receptionists were pleasant and helpful but when we needed to add an extra night due to a weather delay, the manager was grumpy and rude. I wish I could remember her name. Turned me off to staying there again...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I am loyal to the Ritz Carlton brand, however, this location is no where near what you expect from that brand.

I prefer to make my reservations direct with the hotel. It took three calls and a final one to a manager to get a call back from them (I should have taken this as a sign to stay away).

Upon arrival, one doorman unloaded car to luggage cart (tipped him). Another doorman took cart inside (another tip). Arrived at 2pm, check in at 4pm, no rooms available until then but promised they would call as soon as room available. 5:15pm I call them and room is available. No excuse why I was not called. At check in, front desk took luggage claim check from me and told me luggage would be in room when I returned. This was not the case. Had to go back down and go into luggage room and personally find my luggage (then another tip to that bellman to bring luggage up to room). Not that I mind tipping, but this was excessive even compared to other high end hotels with outside and inside bell/door staff.

Lanai Room was old. Drywall screws exposed on bathroom vanity holding it together. Hole in wall in water closet. Not up to Ritz standards. On plus side, nice view of pool area.

Property overall was dirty. Cigarette butts here and there, trash not picked up, again not up to Ritz standards. Staff seemed short handed. Most Ritz's the staff is borderline annoying greeting and asking if you if you need anything, at this Ritz I was NOT ONE TIME approached by any staff member.

For the money and luxury, Lowes and Fontainbleau would be better choices. For the same experience at the Ritz, money could have been saved by staying at one of the South Beach boutique hotels.

On the positive side, you can't beach the location of this hotel in South Beach. Right along the Lincoln Road Mall, Collins Avenue and everything you want in South Beach. It has its own beach with Ritz staff.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Kevin K, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Good day,

Thank you very much for your valued feedback and your loyalty to our Brand. I am pleased you enjoyed the view of the pool from your room and the location of our hotel.

I was genuinely disappointed to hear of the trouble you had in making your reservation and by the fact that your luggage were not delivered to your room as promised. As you mentioned this is not up to The Ritz-Carlton standard, in this respect, please accept my sincere apology. It is also standard practice for us to contact our guest by phone to let them know that their room is ready, I am sorry you did not receive that call.

Thank you very much for informing us of the condition of your room and the property overall. Our rooms have been entirely renovated less than two years ago and I am saddened to hear that your room have been deteriorated. Please be assured that our Engineering department together with our Housekeeping team make every effort to maintain the room in an impeccable condition.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel, in the hope that we can restore your faith and confidence back in our hotel.

York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed in a suite overlooking the sea for my wife's Birthday, and could not fault the room, amenities or the view.

We had the best service levels I have ever witnessed in a hotel, along with incredible views of the sea, great food and staff, it was worth every penny!

We will be back soon.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a high floor with a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Low standard amenities and services. From the check in to Check out it’s about the Dollars and low quality service. At Check in they try to sale you an upgraded service , then it doesn’t stop at every corner you got to pay. After the sales pitch to upgrade the service, we got our room. The Room was nothing exceptional for being Ritz… (you could stay at any Hotel and you would have had the same quality). When we checked into our room the Bathroom floor was not clean, bathtub although we don’t use was full of sand from the previous guests. The rest room was stocked with towels and supplies, but the rest of week they under stocked it with the towels and constantly had to ask for it, and they even took our own personal shampoo and soap that we had brought for our use. Their Restaurant food quality was very low, and the Breakfast buffet they try to sale you has barely any selection. I don’t mind anything being expensive but not getting anything in return that you enjoy is ridiculous. My stay in short: 1) Dirty Bathrooms, 2) Everyday had to ask for towels, and room items... 3) Less selection of quality Food. (4) Checkout stress, they loaded our luggage and plus some other poor souls else’s luggage into our limousine and we didn’t know until we got to the Airport. Next time I will seek other luxury hotel option besides Ritz like Loews..

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Max,

Thank you very much for your valued feedback. Without any constructive feedback it is hard to measure the quality of our services.

Providing the finest personal service and facilities for our guests being our highest mission. This is the reason why I am very disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the quality of the service you received during your recent stay with us.

I have personally reviewed and shared your comments with our Director of Housekeeping to ensure corrective measures are taken.

We are looking forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach in the near future.

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My friend and I were on holiday in Miami over Christmas and came upon the Ritz Christmas Day brunch. We arrived at 12.30pm and stayed until 7pm. We weren't hurried out, even though they have more than one sitting, champagne (included in the price) flowed all day and there was a really great atmosphere, not at all stuffy. The buffet was out of this world. Outside by the pool there was a bbq section and inside there was seafod, fillet steak, cheese counter, sushi bar, salads, traditional meats (turkey, ham etc) and the most amazing dessert section. You could sit and eat fillet steak or oysters all day long if you really wanted to! The price was around $120 per person I think. Really reasonable for the surroundings and what was included. I would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

My girlfriend and I recently spent two nights at the Ritz-Carlton South Beach, and our stay was fantastic! We had a great time at the hotel, and I would absolutely recommend it to anyone. I like to stay at Ritz-Carltons whenever possible, and each time that I have, I haven’t been disappointed. What really stands out is the service. As with every Ritz I’ve visited, the service in South Beach was absolutely impeccable. The staff here makes sure every guest feels valued and important, constantly pampering with a smile. If you want to experience a true getaway that’s actually worth every dollar, I highly recommend this hotel.

I was a little bit hesitant to stay at this hotel, since every other Ritz-Carlton experience that I’ve had has been at one of the more self-contained resort properties. I was nervous that a hotel in the middle of all the action in South Beach might not have the same feel. Since South Beach is so busy and very city-like, I was worried that the Ritz would be just another unremarkable, crowded hotel in the line of high-rises along Collins Avenue. However, my worries were all for naught! This hotel offers the best of both worlds. As soon as we pulled into the hotel, we were able to get away from the busy area nearby, but still have it at our doorstep when we wanted it.

I think the location of this property is pretty perfect for a trip to Miami Beach. The hotel is centrally located, so you’re basically a stone’s throw from everything, either on foot or via a short cab ride. The heart of the Art Deco District is a short walk away, and being right at the end of Lincoln Road really can’t be beat. Just a block from the hotel, the pedestrian-only Lincoln Road Mall begins, which is a great place to walk around outside, with stores going on for blocks, along with more than enough restaurants and outdoor cafes. Although the restaurants are definitely hit or miss along there (with more misses than hits), we thought it was really convenient for dinner, as well as a nice place to walk around and browse through a good variety of stores. There is a good mix of the usual stores you’d find anywhere, along with fun places to stop on vacation.

From the moment we arrived at the hotel, we were treated extremely well (parking is valet- only and $36 per night). Since we’re a relatively young couple, and look younger than we are, I’m always skeptical that we’ll be treated poorly for our age, based on a couple of negative experiences at high-end hotels in the past. However, that was no issue at all here (nor at any Ritz). We were immediately escorted to the front desk and checked in. Since we arrived in the early afternoon, it was nice that our room was already available. The front desk agent mentioned that the way to our room was a bit confusing, so she would have a hotel “ambassador” take us there. I was a bit skeptical of this at first, since it seemed like a ploy to force us to have someone take us to our room. I usually prefer not having help just to get to the room, since we’re fully capable of getting there on our own in the age of rolling luggage. However, I was actually very happy to have Jeffrey, the ambassador, take us to our room and show us the amenities along the way. He was incredibly nice and welcoming in a genuine way. He stood out throughout our stay as being particularly wonderful, even among the other great staff experiences we had afterward. Jeffrey presented us with his business card once he got us settled in our room and told us to call him at any time if we needed anything at all. I definitely would have done so, had we had any issues.

I ended up being happy someone took us to our room, since it actually was a bit confusing to get there. This property is unique in that it’s an old property (originally the Hotel DiLido, built in the 1950s) that Ritz-Carlton completely renovated and made its own. However, that also means that it has a somewhat quirky layout. The hotel has a main tower building that’s 10 stories high and contains most rooms, along with two three-story wings perpendicular to the ocean, which flank the pool. We booked one of the lanai pool view rooms in the pool wings, since we wanted a balcony, and the only other room type available at the time was an interior view room, which we wanted to avoid. Our room was on the second floor (the ground floor relative to the pool), which actually required taking the main elevator from the lobby to the third floor, walking from there to the pool wing (since the buildings are only connected on the third floor), and then taking an elevator in the pool wing back down to the second floor. We actually ended up loving our location, since we couldn’t have been closer to the beach or pool. Especially if you’re in a location like ours, it’s actually very helpful to have someone lead the way the first time.

I was a little bit nervous about our room being in the separate pool wing, since I’ve been to too many hotels in which rooms in side wings end up being dingy, gross, or just simply overlooked. That definitely was not the case here. Everything was perfect and updated, and even the back service elevator that we would take down to the second floor was in good condition. Plus, the lanai pool view rooms are by far the most convenient option for access to the pool and beach. We loved that most rooms on the second floor open directly out onto the pool deck, which also serves as the entry point to the beach. Our second floor room was one of the few that didn’t open out onto the pool, but it was only two rooms away from a door to the pool deck.

We were very happy when we arrived in our room (292), as it was even better than we expected. Our room ended up being one of the few rooms at the end of the hallway in the pool wing that directly face the ocean, rather than opening out to the pool. We definitely weren’t sad about not having a pool view once we saw that we had a glimpse of the ocean from our room! Plus, it meant that we wouldn’t have to worry about any pool noise during the day. Our large balcony had a view of the hotel landscaping by the beach, with the beach and ocean beyond. Since we were on a low floor, palm trees obstructed the ocean view a bit. However, we still thought it made for a really nice, scenic view. It was also nice that our room was in a corner, so we had an entire wall of windows on the side of the room where the TV and desk are located. Even though the windows just looked out at the wall of the hotel next door, which was about five feet away, the extra windows were great for providing extra sunlight and making the room particularly bright and airy.

We also loved the room décor. It was a very nicely sized room, and was impeccably clean at all times. This hotel definitely has a less formal feel than many other Ritz-Carltons, and really embraces the art deco style of the building. The rooms have an updated, yet classic beach feel that’s appropriate for the destination. Since the building is old, I appreciated that it retains some interesting features, such as nice high ceilings, large windows, and even a large round column in one corner of our room. It was nice to see that the room had some character. The desk area was really nice and large, and the seating area was nice as well, with a large chaise that was much better to have than just the usual armchair. It was immediately obvious how high quality everything in the rooms was, down to the thick carpet.

The king bed was very padded and plush, largely because of its extremely thick mattress pad. I don’t know I’ve ever seen such a thick, plush mattress topper on a bed. It made the bed absolutely feel like sleeping on a cloud. Each time I sunk into it, I was asleep practically immediately. You may not be a huge fan of the beds if you like a firmer bed, since they are very soft. However, even my girlfriend, who often prefers beds to be very firm, said that she slept very well here (at least for a relatively short stay).

The bathroom was also done in a really nice art deco style, with everything appointed in black and white with geometric patterns. As expected at a Ritz, the bathroom featured gorgeous marble, along with a separate tub and stall shower. The double sinks were also good to have. Nice, thick towels and robes made for a perfect bathroom. Although the bathroom has a full door separating it from the room, once you’re inside, the toilet and shower are separated from the rest of the bathroom (and each other) by glass that is only partially frosted, due to the style of the geometric pattern on it. We didn’t have any issues with the level of privacy, but I could see that some may find it to be less than desired if multiple people want to use the bathroom simultaneously.

Housekeeping did a very good job, and the nightly turndown service was particularly nice for having towels replenished after using them for showers when returning from the beach. It was nice to come back to find the bed turned down with a water bottle and chocolate for each of us on the nightstand, the blinds shut, and soothing music playing. We ended up getting skipped for turndown on our second night, since we were still in the room when the housekeeper came around to do it. I told her that we were soon going to be leaving for dinner and asked her to come back when we had left. However, she didn’t speak English very well, so I don’t think she understood me. When we got back and nothing had been touched, I called to see if we could just get fresh towels. Whomever I spoke with on the phone was very apologetic and ended up sending someone to do a full turndown right away. I appreciated the efficiency, but it was a bit annoying because we just wanted to go to bed, and felt like we had to leave the room to wait for the turndown mistake to be fixed. However, I will note that any time I called for anything, whether it was to get the car brought up, to have a couple of champagne glasses delivered, or for turndown, the staff was extremely responsive and polite. I appreciated that they would always confirm what I was requesting before hanging up, just to make sure they were doing exactly what we wanted.

There really weren’t many negatives about the room. We found it to be a very comfortable and restful place, and we definitely didn’t want to leave. It was great how nice and quiet it was. At a hotel like the Ritz, every detail is taken care of in the room, even down to having a selection of magazines to read. The attention to detail is generally great. However, we did notice that our room was really lacking in outlets. The only outlets that we could get to were one right by the door and another in the bathroom. It would have been nice to at least have an outlet right by the bed or desk. I imagine the lack of outlets in our room was due to the fact that one entire wall that normally might have outlets was windows. However, it was frustrating to have to simply charge a cell phone all the way across the room.

The only other thing about the room that was a negative was the balcony. Although our view was great and the balcony was a really nice size, our room must have been directly above the kitchen at the hotel’s DiLido Beach Club restaurant along the beach. There was a grate directly past the balcony that would emit steam from time to time, making the balcony even hotter than a typical July day in Miami, along with a constant smell of burgers and grease. The smell made it unpleasant to be on the balcony, so we rarely spent any time there. It wasn’t a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, since we had plenty of outdoor time as it was. However, It was sort of ironic that our balcony was mostly unusable, since we purposely chose our room type for the purpose of having a balcony. We really loved the view facing the ocean, so we didn’t make an issue of it. Luckily the door between the room and the balcony was thick enough that the smell didn’t come through unless the door was open, especially since the rooms actually smell wonderful. I asked one of the housekeepers what they spray the rooms with, and unfortunately it’s a commercial spray that’s not available for purchase.

We really just came to the Ritz to relax, and it was the perfect place to do so. The beach was where we spent most of our time, and the service there was just impeccable. The beach is right in front of the hotel with no roads to cross in between. However, there is a little bit of mixing with the general public to get onto the beach. From the pool level, which is actually one story up relative to the beach, you go down a set of stairs, through the Ritz gates (which I’m glad they have to keep out non-guests), and over a small stretch of public sidewalk to the beach. It seems to be a popular public beach access, and it can get a little crowded and gross. I noticed that it just seems to attract a trashier group of people (at least relative to the clientele of the hotel), and can get a bit dirty and gross, between sandy puddles from the public foot wash and people leaving trash behind. Granted, it’s definitely not a big deal, since you only have to leave the confines of the hotel for about 30 seconds when walking between the hotel and its section of beach. When coming off of the beach, don’t bother waiting in line for the public foot wash. The Ritz has one tucked away right before you go back through the gates to the pool.

I had never previously been on the beach itself in this section of South Beach, and it’s very nice and large, a great place to relax and enjoy the calm, warm ocean. Although the beach is technically public, each hotel has its own section of chairs that takes up most of the prime space and makes it feel like there’s a private beach club for the hotel. It’s only the very front area closest to the water that’s actually open for the public to sit. The Ritz’s section of the beach is nice and large, with many rows of its teal chairs and umbrellas that aren’t on top of one another. There is a little hut to check-in at the beach when you first arrive. Although beach chairs are free, umbrellas are $25 per day. The staff at the beach is all young and very eager to help, so you don’t need to lift a finger for anything at the beach. Someone will always accompany you to find the chairs you want, set up towels, and adjust the umbrella as desired. I was very impressed at how friendly the beach staff was, despite being out in the scorching sun all day. They even came around periodically to adjust the direction of the umbrellas as the wind changed, to avoid flying umbrellas. In addition to the staff that sets things up, there were waiters and waitresses in each section of the beach to offer food and drinks. Although everything on the beach was pricey, we ordered appetizers and drinks on a couple of occasions and enjoyed it all. I particularly enjoyed the watermelon sangria. Food took a little while, since it was coming from the hotel. However, everyone on the beach was working hard and doing it with a smile. The beach staff has great attention to detail, even immediately noticing and chasing out anyone who tries to walk by selling things or passing out fliers to Ritz-Carlton guests. I noticed that the staff members at adjoining hotels’ beach areas weren’t so conscientious.

We really enjoyed the experience at the beach during our two days there. There is plenty of space, with chairs available at all times, although the most prime rows closer to the water do fill up quickly. In the morning, we actually arrived at the beach a little before it was technically open, forgetting that such a nice hotel probably wouldn’t be a place where one needs to arrive at the crack of dawn to get a chair. It’s more competitive at the pool than the beach. In the morning, chair service on the beach begins at 9:30, and the staff starts to put chairs away gradually from 6:00pm onward, without pressuring anyone to leave at any particular time. Food service on the beach seems to run from around 11:30-5:30.

We didn’t spend nearly as much time at the pool as we did on the beach. Although the pool area is nice, it’s much busier and more crowded. During the middle of the day, it definitely gets packed. The pool deck features service similar to that on the beach, but space is simply tighter. The pool is a nice size, but chair selection isn’t the best unless you get there very early. Most chairs are lined up in rows at the end of the pool deck, and aren’t necessarily right by the edge of the water. I also noticed that the pool doesn’t have a ton of umbrellas, so the chairs that were usually available tended to be in direct sunlight. We spent a little bit of time toward the end of one day at the pool, and quickly concluded that we preferred the beach, even though there was nothing really wrong with the pool. We found that there were many more kids at the pool than the beach, and parents seem to be less attentive at the pool. The pool water was also a bit on the warm side, a function of how hot it is in Miami in the summer. The ocean was more refreshing. The pool area is nice at night, when the hotel lights up the area in fun colors and there are far fewer people around.

We did try the hotel’s spa on our second afternoon. I think the spa would be the one area in which I would like to see the hotel improve. It was the only place where we weren’t highly satisfied with the service we received. We hadn’t made appointments before arriving at the hotel, so I called shortly after they opened in the morning to see if they had anything available that afternoon. We saw that they were having some very affordable summer specials, so we were hoping to try those. Whomever I spoke with about making appointments was rude and short with me. I needed a second to quickly confer with my girlfriend once she had suggested one set of available times, and simply asked her basic questions like “Is that the latest you have?” and “How long will the spa facilities still be open after that appointment time?”, questions that I would expect are pretty standard. She was clearly annoyed about the fact that I needed to take a couple seconds before choosing a time, and she wasn’t happy to answer any questions. She made it abundantly clear that making our spa appointments was an inconvenience and came off as very rude. Interestingly, she became a little nicer once I mentioned that we were staying at the hotel. The whole phone call just rubbed me the wrong way. When we arrived at the spa for our appointments, the front desk staff (possibly including same person) was also kind of rude and standoffish. They were the only employees we encountered at the entire hotel that treated us poorly. I can’t stand when staff members have the attitude that you, the customer, are an inconvenience to them and their time socializing with each other. The spa wasn’t even overly busy, so I really can’t understand the reason for the attitude.

Despite this, I generally found the spa facilities to be very nice, although maybe a little too dark, even for a spa. The men’s locker room featured everything you’d expect, with a very nice locker area, sauna, steam room, good stock of toiletries, and a small lounge area with snacks, water, and tea. The white chocolate-covered mini pretzels were especially good! There was one special shower that was supposed to be high powered with extra showerheads. I tried to use it after my treatment, but could not figure out how to consistently get hot water for the life of me, so I had to move to a regular shower instead. The staff in the men’s locker room was also excellent. The attendant was always keeping everything clean and neat, and made sure to remember guests’ names and offer us anything we needed. I also liked that I was offered champagne or mimosas. I’ll take a glass of champagne to go with my spa treatment any day! My 80-minute massage with a hot stone add-on was also very nice. My technician did a great job and really tailored it to my needs in particular. I appreciated that she consistently made sure that I was receiving the level of pressure I wanted, and was very sincere about making sure it was actually what I needed.

My girlfriend was a bit more lukewarm about the whole spa experience. I was surprised to hear that the spa service wasn’t consistent. She said that the service on the women’s side wasn’t overly great. None of the staff was particularly attentive or present. She wasn’t offered champagne, and some of the snacks, such as the pretzels, weren’t available over there. She said it was just really unremarkable. She had a good raindrop massage, but generally felt that the overall feel was lackluster, even compared to our much less expensive local day spa at home. She also had another rude encounter with the front desk staff when she left and paid for both of our treatments. I was disappointed to hear that my girlfriend’s experience wasn’t outstanding. Such an inconsistency in the level of service is definitely an anomaly for a Ritz. My girlfriend’s experience, coupled with the front desk staff again being rude on my way out, would definitely make me think twice before coming back to the spa.

The fitness center is located down the hallway by the spa on the third floor. They’re both sort of hidden up a couple floors from the lobby, but the fitness center is particularly easy to miss. We didn’t end up using it, but we took a peek and saw that it appeared to be a pretty nice size with a good assortment of weight equipment that most hotels neglect to offer.

We didn’t eat too much at the hotel, and never had a chance to try the main restaurant, although it looked nice, overlooking the pool. We did have one lunch at the DiLido Beach Club, which is the more casual restaurant along the beach. It’s all outside, with really great ocean views and pretty seating areas overlooking the beach. To get to that restaurant, you have to leave the main section of the hotel as if you’re going to the beach, since it’s right off of the sidewalk that runs along the beach. The service was quite good, as with most everywhere at the hotel, and the food was tasty as well. Prices were a little high, but not surprising. It was basically what I expected from an upscale hotel. We couldn’t fully enjoy our lunch at DiLido, since we ate there after just having come off of the beach on a day that was oppressively hot. However, that wasn’t the hotel’s fault. We should have chosen somewhere indoors. We also noticed that just about everywhere, including DiLido, the spa, and food service on the beach, 18% gratuity is added automatically. I was totally fine with this, but didn’t necessarily expect it to be automatic everywhere.

The last thing we did before leaving for our morning flight home was check out the sunrise from the hotel. There are excellent sunrise views from the pool deck, so definitely take a peek if you’re up early enough. For early risers, the path along the beach in front of the hotel is also perfect for a walk or run before the area gets too crowded. Complimentary coffee is also available each morning in the lobby, which is switched to infused water for the rest of the day.

We had a truly excellent stay at the Ritz-Carlton South Beach, and I would love to come back. From the moment we walked in and were escorted through the gleaming art deco lobby to our room, to the moment we walked out for the final time and were asked at least three or four times if we needed assistance, the staff here provided impeccable service with very few exceptions. The only thing we were disappointed with was the spa, but in the grand scheme of things, it was a minor hiccup, and at least the treatments themselves were good. The Ritz knows how to make each guest feel special and pampered, as well as how to do it in an understated manner. The staff’s main response anytime I thanked them for their work was that “it was my pleasure,” a line that staff at most hotels would not be able to say convincingly. Here, it truly seems to be the staff’s pleasure to help, and even if it isn’t, they do an excellent job of making it seem that way. Whether we were in our beautiful room or lying on the beach, we loved where we were staying and immediately knew we’d love to come back. Don’t hesitate to try this hotel when in South Beach. I can’t imagine that there are many local properties that can rival it in service, and beyond that, the facilities are beautiful and the location is great. Arriving back at the airport for our flight home was a harsh dose of reality after just two nights at the Ritz. I can’t wait for our next Ritz-Carlton experience.

Room Tip: Lanai poolside rooms are the most convenient to the beach and pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

As a Ritz Carlton Rewards Member, obviously I'm a fan of the Ritz. The staff- for the most part- was typical Ritz- very well trained, etc. Food, very good. Prices, expensive. For the amount we paid, and had a view of the air conditioning units, NO THANK YOU. There are many better choices in South Beach. When I'm on a beach vacation, I want to feel like I'm at a beach hotel. My first impression was: Really? I'm in the lobby and there are black floors, no windows / views of the beach, it is not light and airy. Oddly, we had a king room, for two, and there was one towel in the bathroom, and 1/2 a roll of toilet paper. No big deal, my husband took a clean towel from the gym. We had to request toilet paper from the front desk. The cleaining service did not repenish the soap, body wash, etc. I wrote a note requesting they leave more products, my request was completely ignored. I had to chase the cleaning people down to get these items. All in all, disappointed. In the past, I have stayed at Loews and Raleigh. If I visit South Beach again, I will forego the membership rewards points and stay at Loews.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Kevin K, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Good day,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding the quality of the food and the service you received from our Ladies and Gentlemen during your recent stay with us.

I am disappointed to hear of your dissatisfaction with our Housekeeping department. Please be assured that this incident is neither typical nor representative of the excellent service we are renowned to provide at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach. In this respect, please accept my sincere apology for the disappointment caused.

I am very sorry to hear you were not happy with the view from your room. Our hotel being located steps away from the beach, we also have beautiful rooms facing the beach (Oceanfront rooms) and the pool (Lanai rooms).

I hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves on your next visit to South Beach.

Kevin Kelly

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach? Share your experiences!