“Impeccable service :-) spectacular food :-) dented car :-(” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #44 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Impeccable service :-) spectacular food :-) dented car :-(”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I just got back from a 5 day business trip where we stayed at the Ritz-Carlton on South Beach. Like a proud peacock strutting his stuff, the famous R-C service was on full display here, and everyone from the valet to the housekeeper was helpful and accommodating all the time. The concierge was exceptional, and he had made me dinner reservations at a fabulous restaurant within easy walking distance of the hotel before I even knew what he was doing.

Another example of the incredible service: I was walking up to the bar to order a drink and was planning to stand for a few minutes and watch the soccer game as there were no chairs available. Before I had a chance to look around for a chair, someone had carried one over to me and set it down behind me, and I never even saw the guy who did it. Simply spectacular.

The beach was amazing, but IMO the complimentary lounges should come with a complimentary umbrella, as there is obviously no shade on the beach. The wait staff was fast and efficient, and polite to the max.

We ate lunch in one of the banquet rooms every day, (the one we were in used to be the main entrance/lobby of the hotel and had amazing glass decorations on the walls, doors and stair rails) and were presented with several salad choices, a chicken, and a fish option at each meal. All were equally tasty, but the homemade buttermilk ranch salad dressing stood out and was top notch.

The breakfast buffet was overflowing with fresh, ripe fruits and tasty breads and pastries. The scrambled eggs were acceptable, and there were crisp slices of bacon which are rare on a buffet.

For lunch one day we ate at the inside pool bar and the grilled chicken Caesar salad was light, fresh, and delicious, and the chicken was even warm.

A few annoyances:

I had to constantly sign into the wireless internet, either on my tablet, my laptop, or my smartphone. I know this is commonplace, but many other hotels do not have this requirement. I should be able to sign in once and be done for the duration of my stay. R-C also subs out their tech support, so if you do have a problem and call, you are not talking to someone in the hotel.

The hand-held shower in my room was simply inadequate. It was weak and barely had sufficient flow for the job it was designed for. After a long day of meetings and sitting in an uncomfortable chair, this was inexcusable.

There was no towel bar on the wall next to the shower. I fail to understand why this is so rare. It seems like common sense to me.

Also, if hotels are so concerned about saving the planet by washing fewer towels, why did they not leave the wet towel I hung up to be reused? I mean, it was nice using a fresh towel every morning, but it seems difficult to conserve resources that way. It's good to actually do what your little signs say you are going to do.

The dented car. Yeah, that really sucked. Granted it was a rental, but still, if it had been my own car, I would have been very upset. However, the valet manager was very quick to hear my complaint and write up an incident report (with no admission of guilt or innocence) and send me on my way. He was very apologetic and handled the situation quickly and professionally. Again - top marks to the R-C for their service. They took a bad situation and handled it perfectly. And there were two bottles of water in my cupholders when we finally got in the vehicle to leave.

I was shocked that they allowed small pets at this hotel - totally did not see that coming. Perhaps that explained the wet spots in the carpet next to the nightstands on either side of the king size bed, as the carpet in my room had been freshly cleaned.

Overall, a nice stay in a legendary hotel. Mostly ups, a handful of downs, but not much to really complain about. If South Beach is your scene, and you have the bankroll for it, enjoy the legendary Ritz-Carlton service and hospitality, but get out and sample the local cuisine and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Highland Lake County, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Like aways, I traveled with my brother and sister. We got there during the early days of June. We were greeted by the lovely bellman whose name I can't remember. The lobby has this modern looking wall which we really liked. The reception area is a bit small but it was nice nevertheless. Our room faced an abominable direction which made us puke almost every morning. The pool area is nice; it's quite big and faces the beach. So if you're lucky you can catch the sun rises right from your room every morning! If you want nice spots near the pool you have to wake up early in the morning and hold your spot. You can order food and eat it near the pool. If you truly want to swim do it in the morning because the pool's ALWAYS filled during lunch time. Food is not the hotel's best attribute. Maybe our taste buds were off because the food did not taste good. The staff were outstanding. We met some great people that took care of us. Sadly I can't remember the names.

Overall it was an awesome trip. My expectations were met. I had great time at the Ritz. If I ever come back to South Beach I will definitely be spending my time at the Ritz-Carlton.

Room Tip: Spend a little more money and get the rooms that face the beach direction. You won't regret that...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Unless you make the internal VIP list the service at the concierge, valet parking is very average.
The pool is a great advantage, super service. The music is for the scene. Rooms are very small, basic but functional furnished. Some extra lightening would be great in the bathroom. Was reading the previous reviews and agree that some of them might be tuned.

Room Tip: The music can be rather loud, so make sure your room is not to close the pool
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Kevin K, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear 101Esperanza,

Thank you for your valued feedback on the recent stay with us at The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach. I’m glad you enjoyed the personal service and facilities at our infinity pool overlooking the Atlantic Ocean.

I’m sorry to hear you found our concierge and valet service to be merely average, however. The Ritz-Carlton takes great pride in the level of service we provide and I hope you let us stay with you again to experience the standards of excellence we’re renowned for.

Kevin Kelly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

South Beach location, right on the beach. Exemplary service, spotlessly clean and the usual high-end Ritz Carlton touches. Comfortable room, great pool, very well appointed fitness center and bar areas - all tip top.

Along with the usual cautionary note about 'extras'. Pretty much everything that isn't considered your room for the night is charge-able - at stiff rates. Small cup of tea in a cardboard cup at $9 a pop, "Average" quality lunch for three at $100. Breakfast buffet (per a colleague) was about $30.

It can get pricey if spend your time at the hotel for meals and evening drinks. Though, with a location as excellent as this, why not take a stroll - there's plenty of choices along SB.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Really great location, near to the beach, ocean drive and collins avenue. Great decor, really friendly staff. Fab facilities, huge pool, great gym and easy access to the beach and also a lovely boardwalk which is great for a run.
Room was lovely, very big, luxurious with a huge bathroom. Would thoroughly recommend! Great hotel for a break in Miami.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

From the moment we walked in the door, we could not have asked for a better experience!!! The hotel is beautiful and the service is fantastic!!

We stayed on the concierage level. I have stayed at many luxury properties on the concierage level.... The service at the Ritz in South Beach was above and beyond!! It was a special birthday for my friend; I noted her birthday in the comments before we arrived. The staff made us feel incredibly special! Sanjit, Raashad, Brittany, Everton, and Darien greeted us every day with smiles and made it a point to make our vacation a special one. One day at lunch Brittany and Everton greeted my friend with a special bottle of champagne and chocolates to help us celebrate her birthday. They realized I liked Patron margaritas and Stacey liked pina coladas. Guess what was waiting for us?? The food and beverages were outstanding just like the service.

At the pool, Daniel knew our favorite seats and helped us set up every morning. The service at the pool was wonderful also.

You can tell the staff is passionate about what they do and enjoy their jobs. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we were well taken care of....Why, because they have an amazing General Manager, Kevin Kelly, who walks around the hotel to ensure everyone is having an excellent vacation.

Thank you, we can't wait to return next year!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Excellent service... that's what I pay for and expect! And that's what we got at The Ritz. From arrival, check in, lobby attendants, special assistance we needed (complimentary wheelchair), a last minute request for a roll-away (also complimentary). All the restaurant and lounge staff were super courteous, although menu overpriced but not unexpected. Not to mention that this place is lovely and in an excellent location!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach? Share your experiences!