“The pool is not their pleasure” 3 of 5 stars

$50 Credit + Breakfast
Ranked #37 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbus, Ohio
“The pool is not their pleasure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton South Beach Labor Day weekend. The location of the Ritz Carlton on South Beach is ideal if you desire to be located in the “heart” of the activity. The beach area is large and beautiful and the staff is very attentive to your needs. The umbrellas are an extra charge and only two chairs per room are allotted.

People travel to south beach for many different reasons. In our case it was to relax in the sun and enjoy the pool before a long winter, which is soon approaching in our hometown in Ohio. It was 95 degrees on Labor Day and the pool was closed on the day of arrival, which was Labor Day until the next morning. The hotel only has one pool option unlike many other Ritz Carlton properties and unlike other Miami hotels. I did call the manager and express my dissatisfaction for the pool closure. The manager explained the pool closure was due to safety concerns over water contamination from a “human accident” in the pool. Although I appreciated the hotel closing the pool to keep the guest save from illness, I also selected this hotel and agreed to pay a significant price to stay on the property and felt that those guests that wanted to use the pool but who could not, should be accommodated. In addition, the manager was extremely verbally aggressive and stated the hotel took the correct actions by closing the pool and voiced that she disagreed with me. It was like she wanted to “win” the conversation or prove how right the hotel was in closing the pool. The conversation left me feeling attacked and unheard.

The hotel shower was very narrow and separate from the bathtub. I’m only five feet two inches and found it difficult to shave my legs without hitting my head on the shower wall. Also the water in the shower did not drain so I was standing in about 2 inches of shower water.

The hotel lobby is very sleek and sexy however, the hotel rooms don’t have the same appeal.

The hotel breakfast was well prepared and the outside seating has an ocean view that is beautiful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I recently had the priviliage of staying here for 3 nights during a Sales Conference. While I was here for business, there was plenty of downtime to relax by the beautiful pool, take in the gorgeous water beach side, and indulge in room service. The room: I was in a regular room with two double-sized beds complete with a HUGE bathroom (a girls dream, really)! If I looked out the window at the right angle I could glimpse the ocean--that was not so important for me since I did not stay in my room much. The room was spotless and was immaculately kept up with by the hotel staff while I was out for meetings...at turn down you receive two chocolates on your bed, one dark and one milk, I only ate the dark the first day/night and so the next two nights I received only two dark chocolates. That is attention to detail, which is something this hotel is all about!! Second, the pool was very nice. The service poolside was also very spot-on and you are never left with an empty drink! I must also mention that we had all of our meals catered through the hotel (breakfast, snacks, lunch, and happy hour/hor d'oeuvres). There was a nice selection for every meal--even for vegetarians, which is pretty important in our group--and everything was prepared perfectly. I, honestly, have nothing bad to say about this resort. If you can afford it, stay here! The staff really goes above and beyond to make you feel important and the hotel is beautiful!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Had a great 2-day anniversary stop, this hotel is fantastic in terms of location, pool, beach and ocean views. The pool is elevated from the beach which is nice. We enjoyed the beach-front trail for walking, plus there are lots of bike rental stations nearby, so we never had to drive or even take a cab to get to great restaurants and nightlife. Lincoln Rd. mall is right there too lots of shops & eateries.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view balconies, reasonably priced in the off-season.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
st simons island, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I have stayed here before. We can usually get a food rate. As Marriott members, we often get an upgrade. The location is excellent. Unlike many hotels, you can actually see the ocean. The lobby bar is adult like, altho not intimate.

This time we were upgraded to a room on the eleventh floor. 9,10 &11 are newer and have floor to ceiling windows. Bedroom was nice and very spacious and bed very comfy. But an amazing lack of outlets in this error of having to recharge. The alarm/iPhone charger didn't work. Neither did a wall outlet. I needed up charging phone in the bathroom...not a good idea.

Only in room magazine was travel & leisure. Fine but a Miami magazine would be helpful.
Big problem was bathroom. No curtains, which doesn't bother me but might some. View was mostly of distant buildings, so it didn't matter. However there is an adjacent hotel with black out windows, so I didn't know if it was rooms with people or what. Floor was that shiney high gloss marble which is deadly when wet. We had to take extra towels and spread them on floor so as to not slide and fall on our butts. The stall shower has shower head facing directly to the shower door. So the choice is to either get in shower, close door, as then stand under cold water until it heats up. Or. Wait for temperature to adjust, THEN open door to get in. Result: shower shoots water all over that shiney marble floor when you open door.

Bigger problem: that same high gloss marble is the shower floor. I am no spaso but this was lethal. I had to put a hand towel on shower floor cuz standing on one leg with leg #2 anchored against wall so I could shave my leg was scary.

And you can't open shower door with bathroom door half open. They bang into each other.

Shelves on bathroom vanity were scratched and dirty. Needed painting.

Breakfast buffet: $26 for cold. Lots of selection and a good deal cuz my ala carte coffee, 1 poached egg, carrot juice was $19.

Lots of staff around pool to keep you happy.

Valet was very quick with the car.
Marlene, at check in, was friendly, helpful, efficient.

• Stayed September 2013
Altoona, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The service here has always been impeccable and this visit was not any different. The room was clean and the lanai room was wonderful. We can't say enough about this property and will definitely stay here on our next SoBe visit.

Room Tip: Lanai rooms face the pool and are some of the best rooms for the money.
Palm City, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We pulled up and loved the location. Valet was very professional. They welcome pets! The room had a great view. It was clean but could definitely use some refurbishing. The club level was small but had a nice presentation of Hors d'oeuvre. The spa was the highlight of our stay. Our masseus were wonderful. We left the spa feeling rejuvenated. They even gave us a candle as a parting gift, thanks Shawnda! The breakfast buffet although incredibly pricey was quite delicious.
The service was top notch and great people watching. Our only complaint was that they charged us for the two nights we orinallty had booked even though at check in I told them we could only stay one night. We had a family emergency. Besides that little hiccup, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to returning.

New Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Overall I enjoyed my stay at the Ritz-Carlton South Beach. I wanted a beachfront hotel in the middle of South Beach that catered to families, and this hotel delivered. I've stayed at the Loews before and that also meets the above description, but I liked the Ritz-Carlton better. The poolside Lanai room was spacious enough for us and very close to the pool. We never had a problem getting pool or beach chairs.

We enjoyed breakfast and lunch at the hotel. We usually go to Lincoln Road for dinner when we visit South Beach, so I can't vouch for dinner at the hotel. Checking in and out were problem free. The only issue I had was slow service at the pool and beach in my opinion. Service everywhere else at the hotel was fine. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family