“This place was amazing!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #34 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Calgary, Canada
“This place was amazing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The beach was so beautiful and the rooms were very clean. I have no complaints. :)

I was there with my children so I wouldn't recommend dragging the little ones there again, but it's perfect for couples.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1,401 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Enjoy the beautiful beach sand at the Carlton South Beach Miami Hotel. You will be tended by Miguel, the best waiter in tow, and the very pleasant staff. Cabanas, parasol, food and drinks available at a certain price. The water is warm, the waves are not too strong. perfect for families with young children. The rooms are comfortable, the bathrooms are beautiful!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

wow really enjoyed the pre spring break activites here stay was great top to bottom. Got to the hotel early greeted by knowledgeable and passionate bellman, got to the front desk around 11:00am and the usual check-in time is either 3:00 or 4:00 but they allowed me and girlfiend to get in our room early. While we were being checked in we enjoyed the assortments of flavored waters. We were then offered club level which put a grin on my face i mean what more could on ask for, we quickly went to our rooms and marveled at the spacious room beautiful bathroom and excellent view of the beach from our room. After a quick change and wash up we explored club level gabe the club attendant was pleasent and knowledgeable on everything going on and a couple of night life spots. Great stay at the ritz carlton south beach id stay here a full year if my money allowed it

Room Tip: go for the beach view no one likes looking at the city the natural beauty of the beach cannot be mat...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This was my first stay at the Ritz in Miami. From the moment I pulled into valet I was treated with warm friendly smiles and welcomes. The guest services employees were extremely helpful and kind. The lobby is quite grand, lovely. We were taken to our room which was a standard. Definitely not as nice as I expected as I have stayed at other Ritz properties. The beds were a little on the worn side, the ihome and one of the phones didn't work, and the view was nonexistent. The lighting in the bathroom was horrible if you need to apply makeup. We decided to upgrade to a bigger room with an ocean view and balcony. MUCH better! Everything worked and the lighting was better although the beds were still not to my liking but that is personal preference. The staff was unbelievably helpful and kind in moving us. I enjoyed two days on the beach and did decide to throw a lot of money away on a beach sofa and umbrellas the first day and a queen beach bed the second. The wait staff on the beach was extremely efficient and friendly. I enjoyed breakfast in my room three mornings, room service staff was excellent and the food was very good. I used the spa for a pedicure, it was only a little above average but the technician was very pleasant. Overall it was the staff that made this trip so enjoyable. The rooms could use a little refreshing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed 7 nights at the Ritz Carlton on South Beach either side of the July 4 holiday. In short, we had one of the best vacation experiences we have ever had.

We decided to visit Miami Beach, but having no knowledge of the area, thought about the Ritz Carlton based on a previous stay in another city and on the company’s reputation for great service. I was initially hesitant as during my due diligence on Trip Adviser and other travel sites I came across numerous comments alluding to this not being a “real” Ritz. I took this to mean it isn’t styled or furnished in the usual “hardwood floors, elegant furnishings, faux Victorian writing desk” kind of way. I considered these comments, but after viewing photos of the hotel and rooms online I felt more than comfortable with the style.

The Ritz Carlton on Miami Beach gives a nod to a different era. The original structure, built in 1953, has been retained while the interior has undergone a complete restoration. Post-modern, you might call it, with contemporary furniture and art, and muted tones in the carpet, bedding and walls. Whether the look is something you will like is purely subjective, of course. But if you are of the opinion that the hotel looks dated (as some reviewer wrote) then this perhaps says more about you than it does about the resort. It does not have the look of “an IKEA showroom”, nor does it look like a hotel from the 80s. It’s different, for sure, but blends perfectly with the clean and simple lines of the architecture, and fits right in with the whole deco scene in South Beach.

Take the lobby: What first seemed a rather dark sanitized space in fact revealed a level of sophistication in both ambience and décor that is so different from most chain hotels I’ve stayed in. And it's functional, too. it was a relief to return to a cool, low-lit interior after a day in bright sunlight. If you take the time, you’ll see similar examples of thoughtful interior design throughout the hotel.

Another surprise: This hotel feels really intimate. It’s not huge to begin with—350ish rooms I believe—but never did we feel overwhelmed by people, which is not how I felt when we popped into Loews next door. This is especially evident around the pool deck. Even though the hotel was 98% occupied (I asked) we never had trouble finding pool loungers no matter what time of day we entered the pool deck, and the pool attendants were always attentive and responsive.

Every hotel has its share of rooms with crappy views. The Ritz Carlton is no exception. It has a few “city view” rooms that look out onto the street, including a view of the aforementioned Loews hotel. But that famed Ritz Carlton reputation for service does show itself in these circumstances: A couple was complaining as we checked in and they were immediately relocated to a room with a better view. That said, these standard rooms are in the lowest-rate category and so I guess if you choose this category, it’s a bit of a lottery as to the type of room you end up with. I removed the risk by booking a Lanai room with pool view. It is a little more expensive than the standard room, but with the convenience of stepping out onto the pool deck, (and no chance of staring at a brick wall) I think it was more than worth the extra.

This brings me onto price. Some have commented that the hotel is expensive. This again is subjective. The benefits of being right on South Beach, a block from the Lincoln Road mall and with dozens of restaurants and bars on your doorstep, come at a price. This is, after all, a luxury resort, and so everything, from a cup of coffee to a piña colada, carries a premium. If it shocks you to pay $22 (including tip and tax) for an alcoholic beverage then perhaps this is not the type of hotel in which you should stay, or drink. But if you value having your every need catered for, and want a secluded beach/pool holiday with a city vibe, Ritz Carlton South Beach is as good as it gets.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a Lanai room overlooking the pool. Some of the rooms on the second and third floor...
Westchestry Cty, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

As a frequent traveller and a regular contributor to TA, rest assured these observations (albeit candid) are objective. Recent visit to the Ritz SB was all R&R. From the first interaction with the Property , our experience was very positive. Friendly staff in the front greeting us with a smile. Lobby is very nice, and more hellos and smiles from friendly staff as we checked in. Now the lobby does smell a bit like a soap store, but that was refreshing after the smelly taxi ride from the airport. First room was a dud, staff eager to please found us a winner. I agree with some of the other posts here.: Hallways and rooms need a bit of a refresh, but all in all, nothing to complain about. The concierge staff are AWESOME. Andrew at night and Kristin during the day, are among the best I have seen in the entire Ritz Carlton system (worldwide). They are great listeners to your needs and were great help in restaurants. I'm impressed.

Ok, now the bad. the staff at the beach are obnoxious. Their shameless up selling of extras was very unbecoming the Ritz brand. $150 for a bed, $25 for an umbrella, no jug of water, only bottles for sale. Not one bed was sold in our days on the beach, there's no bid at $150, time to rethink the pricing strategy. The pool staff is a lot less pretentious. Although there was a full inventory of unsold beds there too. The pool side food was good, but the drink prices are OUTRAGEOUS. $7 for iced tea.( This is recent apparently maybe ownership is looking to fund common area upgrades one iced tee at a time) The markup on that is incalculable. BTW, the staff at the pool agree.

I think the hotel is having an identity crisis, do they cater to the rock star bottle service crowd or families? By my observations , no rock stars just families. So, loose the house music, beds and $300 bottles of grey goose, and you will have returning guests.

Again, I really love the staff, the location and the property as a whole. But I think the management needs to solve its identity crisis. It seems like a family resort not a night club. Don't let your south beach address confuse you, stick with the ritz Carlton resort model, it works.

Room Tip: Pool side house music plays all night. If you're a light sleeper avoid pool area
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

It is amazing the location .
We spent a week and almost didn't need to drive .
Everything was close to the hotel.
The staff is vey helpful and efficient as well
The restaurants also are very good !
We stayed there for a week and in 4 th July of course there was many people to watch the fireworks.
But in the hotel we could be seated ,comfortable and in the middle of the crowd.They hired a band and we seat ,drink , enoy.

Room Tip: Front beach of course .
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach? Share your experiences!