“The cost is worth it” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Austin, Texas
“The cost is worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The best ever. Never had a more pleasant experience with a hotel or hotel staff. Whoever manages that hotel knows how to hire and train staff. EVERYONE was professional, pleasant, polite and helpful. It made for a very relaxing stay. The only downside was that it rained more than usual, but as a result, I experienced the best massage of my life. While I have no doubt they are all great masseuses, I recommend Yvette at the Spa on the 3d floor.

Room Tip: Get a view of the beach, preferably with a balcony. But don't spend too much time in the room...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Turkish first
Bulle, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Overall, we had an excellent experience at the Ritz Carlton South Beach. The front desk staff was excellent and so was the valet attendant. Concierge recommended several good nearby restaurants. I had a one bedroom suite overlooking the beach and it was nothing but exceptional. In addition, the food at the restaurants was very good and so was the lobby lounge. There's a lot of shopping around the area and many great restaurants on Lincoln blvd but my favorite was Paul's French restaurant. A great taste of Paris for not going there for awhile. Overall, I will definitely be back. The rooms were like other Ritz, especially the marble bathroom!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for a mini getaway and I just had to express my appreciation for the superior service we received during our stay. Before arriving I called and booked Spa services with an associate by the name of April. She was very informative when it came to the services offered and the facility access. Upon arrival at the hotel we were immediately greeted by the Valet attendants, one in particular, Gustavo, went above and beyond for us. He's truly a great asset to the hotel. He then escorted us to the front desk and we were greeted with a warm welcome by Moshe. Words can't begin to explain the amazing customer service we received from him. He smiled, engaged in conversation and he made us feel very welcomed. I can write an entire review on his outstanding customer service alone which is why he deserves a great deal of praise for his excellent customer service. Kuddos to you, Moshe for making our stay a great one. Upon receiving our room, which had an amazing ocean view by the way, we immediately went to the Spa to check in for our services. Vanessa was the associate at the desk at the time. She was NOT friendly. She seemed annoyed the entire check in process which made me and my partner very uncomfortable. Based on the other reviews I read about the poor Spa service, I’m sure she was the associate everyone was talking about. I ended up stopping the entire check in process and informed her that I will check in closer to my appointment time. (Secretly hoping someone else will be at the desk to check me in). I returned to the Spa closer to my appointment time and was greeted with a warm welcome by Cassandra. Her smile was like a ray of sunshine. She made me feel welcomed; she showed me around the facility and offered to be of assistance with any of my needs. I had a Ritz Carlton signature massage with a male therapist by the name of Scott. He was beyond amazing. I must say in all my years of getting massages, he was the best therapist I’ve ever had. I will definitely request him again in the future. We opted not to eat at the hotel being that there were other amazing restaurants on the strip. I want to give a special thanks to Girad at the pool for anticipating our needs and all of the staff on the beach. Overall we had an amazing time, we will definitely stay with the Ritz-Sobe again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We visited South Beach in early April and stayed here. The front desk staff was fantastic and she went out of her way to get us the room we wanted (2 beds); even upgrading us. The rest of the staff were friendly and helpful, as you would expect from the Ritz.
The rooms are spacious and we had a balcony facing the pool and ocean; so very nice; to wake up and see the sunrise!
On the flip side, I was appalled at the level of "nickel and diming"; there was a charge of $10/per day PER DEVICE (why do I have to pay $600/night and then pay for internet???). Again to the credit of the front desk staff, I did get the charges waived on the first device
Also another first, there was a charge of $25 per beach umbrella!(what a scam!; I have never visited a hotel that was on the beach and charged for an umbrella; where did they come up with this bizzare idea is beyond me.
So, overall a nice experience marred by 'stupid' charges.

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms are probably the best as long as on higher floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Our group reserved 3 rooms for 5 nights. I have seen Ritz hotels in New York, Naples, Puerto Rico, & Cancun. We were amazed at the difference in this property. It was nondescript & no where near the standard of other RC properties. The bathroom was nice, the room mediocre, at best. My room faced the pool area-- it was surprisingly, very unattractive. You could have been looking at a motel setting. We were there about an hour, checked out & went down the road. Thankfully, we were not charged for the room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Ashburn, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We visited this past weekend. My mother and 2 girlfriends. We were staying at a different hotel but were not pleased by the cleanliness of the accommodations so that night, we went in search of another hotel.

After dining in the restaurant at the Ritz Carlton, we approached the front desk. We tried to get a room here for 2 nights but there was no guarantee of 2 doubles. The gentlemen at the front desk tried to find us something and was efficient but not very friendly. We ended up staying at the Lowe's. (great choice).

We visited the Ritz Carlton twice over the weekend. Dining outside Thursday and on Friday, drinks in the lobby bar.

On Thursday night we dined outside and had a wonderful waiter. Oignney (pronounced Yanni). Delightful experience. He brought us the Greek Lamb Sliders off the beach club menu and martinis and they were fabulous.

An incident occurred in the Lobby Bar Friday night.

We enjoyed cocktails in the lobby lounge and a band was playing. Great music.

There was a very strange female patron. She was dancing solo and simulating pole dance moves for different tables and buying different people shots.

This is a long story so I will only state the facts. She approached me inappropriately twice. Then she stole my shoe. My friend went to her to get my shoe back and they had a tug of war. My friend eventually retrieved my shoe.

The disturbed patron then came over to our table and said some very strange things (she said she was putting a "hex" on my friend among other things.) We asked her to leave repeatedly. She refused.

My friend approached the bar to ask for security. At that moment, this same deranged person grabbed my friends purse and ran out of the bar. I took off after her (thank God I had on both my shoes....) and after 3 attempts of physically grabbing her arm, I ended up twisting it hard enough that she threw my friends purse under the flowing curtains. First we got my shoe back, now I got the purse back.

We again asked for security. A young lady, the security officer employed by the Ritz, came over. We completed written statements and gave the verbal version of events. There were witnesses who corroborated the entire sequence of events. The disturbed person sat at her table watching us talk with the security guard. She was no more than 15 feet away.

The real issue was the complete lack of responsiveness by the hotel staff.

The attitude of the officer was causal. No apology was made. She actually seemed entertained by the situation.

I even said to her, "I am taking this written statement about as seriously as you are taking this event." She said nothing.

There was no visit by a manager or even a front desk supervisor. The lady who stole my friends purse was still sitting 3 tables away and the officer did not go address her or ask her for a statement.

After a few minutes of her watching us, the disturbed patron casually got up and left.

I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Naples and in Georgetown and expected a much higher level of professionalism and responsiveness. I can only assume this was because we were not currently staying at the hotel.

If you treat everyone as a future guest, they will be a guest at some point, I assure you.

Ironically, as we were leaving, I ran into an old friend I had not seen in 17 years. He was at the bar and witnessed part of this event. He is an ex Navy Seal so at the end of the day, I believe we were safe but due in no part to the management at the Ritz Carlton, South Beach.

What I would have expected?

To provide a written statement. For the Hotel Security to question the alleged perpetrator and get a written statement. Then, offer to call the police or discuss with us professionally what our options are or at the very minimum, tell us what the hotel will do to prevent something like this from happening in the future.

My mother said there must be a reason the Lowe's does not have live bands in their lobby. Clearly it is to prevent the hotel from attracting the crazy locals. Look out for them at the Ritz. With this attitude, they will surely attract them and ward off the future overnight guests.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Ritz - Carlton South Beach is great location, right on Lincoln rd with a lot of stores and restaurants. Pool area and beach is very nice. Staff was very friendly and professional.Breakfest is very nice with a lot of choices. Thank you Ritz - Carlton.

Room Tip: Ocean front
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach? Share your experiences!