“Solid hotel, great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
NYC
“Solid hotel, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Ritz during Feb and had a few small issues but overall a good stay. Called ahead to request early check-in but unfortunately room was not ready... no big deal however I overheard the front desk person next to me offering another guest a coupon for 20% off lunch in any of the hotel's restaurants or half off a massage while waiting for room to be ready. When I realized that our attendant was not planning to offer us the coupon I quickly asked about it and she provided it. Note to potential future guests: make sure you ask!
The hotel itself is not gorgeous from the outside but is well appointed inside with very friendly staff. Also, the location can't be beat; central to everything in South Beach.
The pool is very nice although pretty cold on our first day. Pool service is very good albeit expensive but that's pretty par for the course in Sobe. $17 mojitos are common. Valet parking is also very expensive and Wifi is extra which I find ridiculous at a hotel charging $450+ per night. Also FYI, the hotel adds an automatic 18% gratuity to everything. Pretty standard tip but helpful to be be aware so that you don't just automatically add another 20% on top of that.
The spa was nice although they seem to be understaffed. I got a massage my first day which was nice but I tried requesting a pedicure and was told they only had 15 min. Since I really needed the service I agreed assuming that the cost would be reduced... apparently not... paid $65 for the quickest pedicure of my life. Next day I tried to book a blowout in the morning and they were booked for the entire day.
Overall though we had a nice stay. The staff is friendly and eager to please and the overall vibe of the hotel is upscale without being pretentious. Would recommend it to future visitors, just make sure to bring your wallet.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Before I booked the Ritz, I used TA to see the reviews for hotels in South Beach. I was a little hesitant to book the ritz because of some of the bad reviews it received, however other hotels also had bad reviews. I decided to book the Ritz as we have always stayed with them. Everything was fantastic as expected. Our room was spacious and clean, the lobby was inviting and the staff were extremely attentive. I'm not sure why people are writing bad reviews, I'm just glad we booked the Ritz!

• Stayed February 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed at the Ritz Feb 2013. Wonderful time. The accomodations were perfect. The staff was very accomodating. Had a beautiful view of the pool and the ocean. I have never been to a resort with such a large pool. I was exhausted after one lap!! The area around the pool was very spacious. They had plenty of lounge chairs. Dia and Emily were wonderful waitress making sure we had what we needed. The beach was beautiful. There to the staff was always looking out for your needs. Everything you need is in walking distance. You don't need to rent a car.
Would recommend this and will return there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brasília
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Last weekend I spent 5 nights at Ritz Carlton South Beach and it was at least the third time I went to this hotel. The location is perfect and service is always pleasant. However, this time, even paying more than U$ 600 per night, I was placed in a very small room for 5 stars hotel standard, and to get really worse, there was NO sockets in the bathroom and in the room there was only 3 in the working desk. It´s known that these days, we have cell phones, Ipads, cameras, and so many other stuffs that need charge, so we need sockets, and how do we shave ou dry our hair without sockets at the bathroom? I NEVER stayed in a hotel that I couldn´t find a socket in the bathroom. Unbelievable for a Ritz Carlton. The size of the room was a problem too, because when I choose Ritz Carlton is to have a big room, otherwise I would choose Delano ou the new SLS hotel that have are boutique hotels with small rooms but really nice public areas. Even liking location and position I would consider my stay in Ritz in the next trip, because this hotel room must be closed and not given to anyone. Other things: the iron and the phone in the working desk were not working and I had to ask for changing them. Really disappointed.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband & I spent 4 nights at Ritz in South Beach at the beginning of February. We specifically picked Ritz for the supposedly excellent Customer Service.

It was a total disaster.

After waiting 20 minutes at the front desk, we were told that the room we booked (ocean view, high floor, balcony, king bed) was not available. So we ended up in a double for the first night, another 20 minutes wait to get our luggage brought to our room. The following day, we were offered a room with a king bed on a low floor which we accepted (no compensation was offered, not even a breakfast or a drink at the bar...terrible crisis management!). The room was awfully noisy: I could hear the neighbor snores & speaks...that says it all! It was impossible to take a nap in the afternoon (even with earplugs) to compensate for the lack of sleep at night as the music played at the pool was so loud. Staff at the hotel was really whatever. I put 2 stars rather than 1 as the staff at the beach was great. Bottom line, we have never been more disappointed by a luxury hotel. We will definitely never go back to Ritz at South Beach or elsewhere.

Room Tip: High floor / ocean view.
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We just returned from a relaxing four-night stay at the Ritz-Carlton in South Beach. We've been to South Beach a number of times but this was our first stay at this hotel. My husband and I feel recharged.

The location can't be beat. Great restaurants and (average) shopping are walking distance. The service is what you'd expect from the Ritz...welcoming, helpful and professional. My husband and I were celebrating a special occasion. Upon arrival, the front desk gave us a credit to use at the hotel during our stay. Nice touch and unexpected. A great way to start our vacation.

The property has a nice feel to it. It doesn't have the wow-factor of some of the newer hotels - such as the W or the Setai - or the uber-coolness factor of some of the smaller boutique hotels. However, this is a place to go if you'd like to relax and be pampered. Our room was spacious, the bed was comfy and the housekeeping was fantastic.

While there are nicer pools in this area, this one scores high for me: The u-shaped layout of the building means that guests are protected from wind. The pool staff were top-notch. They were experts at rearranging pool furniture to satisfy guests, even on a busy weekend. They were also attentive, without being over-bearing. Great healthy lunch options poolside, which was important to us. The beach area is nice and is very accessible from the pool.

The gym is decent. Lots of cardio, but could use more weights. Not a huge problem - with the beautiful weather, we went for long runs along the beach and chilled by the pool.

It skewed a bit older than what we expected. During our stay there were some some younger people and a few families with small children, but lots of people in their 40s and 50s. Overall a classy reserved older crowd. No drama.

A great place to recharge and for people who have already experienced the South Beach scene.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful 2 night stay at The Ritz South Beach. Christopher Hanks was an amazing help in making my reservation. He went above and beyond to make sure that everything was perfect. He even called on his day off to make sure that I was happy with the room and offered to help with anything else that I needed. I am impressed by his dedication and commitment to providing first-class customer service. The Hotel is beautiful and extremely clean. Carlo at the front desk was also extremely helpful. The Spa is incredible and the staff there are very accommodating. Selena is very knowledgeable and gave my husband the best therapeutic massage he had ever received. He even went back the next day for her to work on his lower back. I had the best massage that I had ever received also. Randy is extremely talented, professional, and uses the perfect amount of pressure. My back and shoulders felt better then they had in a very long time. I think we would go back to the Ritz just for a massage every week if our schedules permitted. We ate dinner by the pool one night and it was delicious. I would certainly recommend staying at the Ritz to anyone and know that it will be our first choice next time we return to Miami.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach? Share your experiences!