“Ok but not nearly as nice as Riz Carltons elsewhere” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #44 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Ok but not nearly as nice as Riz Carltons elsewhere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

The hotel is ok, but the service does not come close to Ritz Carlton properties elsewhere, particularly those in California incuding San Francisco, Laguna Niguel and The Huntington Hotel. There were lots of doormen standing around but instead of being helpful and comforting and professional, it felt like we were being approached by a gang. When we checked in, we we're told we would be escorted to our room with our luggage but instead we came to find out that the bellman had gone ahead and was waiting for us in our room. After a long trip flying in from London, we would have expected better. Further, there was relatively little water pressure in our bathroom sink the entire stay and the entire faucet fixture was so loose that it could practically be removed from its setting. The location of the hotel is good, very central and in walking distance to several outstanding restaurants. We particularly liked Ago and Ola. We also really enjoyed the spa treatments although the steam and relaxation area was quite dated looking. With so many high end hotels to choose from in the area, I think we will likely look elsewhere next time around.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

High expectations and very disappointed, we stayed here for 5 days as we were in Miami to get married but the hotel didn't honour any of our requests and what should have been a memorable experience just wasn't. We requested a pool view room when booking but on arrival they told us they had no availability and said the only option was a ocean pool view room at an extra $250 a night, so we had to make do with a small dark room which looked onto a block of apartments. I didn't find the reception staff very helpful, on our wedding day we had ordered champagne and they delivered the fridge but forgot the champagne. I would also advise to saty away from the hair salon on the ground floor as I had my hair pinned up in there for my wedding day and they charged me $295 which I felt was very over priced. Overall very disappointed in hotel, only good point was location :(

Room Tip: Remortgage your home for a pool view room :)
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed here because we got a great rate for a wedding block of rooms. It was just average. We had high hopes with it being a Ritz Carlton property, but it was disappointing. I can't imagine paying full price for a very standard room with average amenities. Our standard room looked like it hadn't been updated in years. From what I could see of it, anyway - it was SO dark. Our room was facing another wall and we definitely did not feel like we were in Miami. Couple that with dark navy carpet and we had to turn on all the lights even during the day to see anything. The furniture was dingy and stained. Just not the Ritz experience you want to have. Bathroom was spacious, room service nice, restaurants VERY poor service and limited food, pool lovely. I wouldn't stay here again at all. So many more interesting places to stay in South Beach, the Ritz doesn't deserve a second glance for its averageness.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here during one of our shopping trips to South Beach. The lobby is very pretty and has more of a contemporary flair than most Ritz properties. We booked a ocean front room thru Amex and that's exactly what we got. My girlfriend got sick during our 4 day stay, so we ordered room service and the food was lovely. We also had breakfast in the main restaurant which was also very good. One of the days we had our nails done (mani/pedis)at the spa and had our hair blown out, none of the services were memorable, in fact the nail services were down right horrible. We had scheduled the top of the line pedicure in which the technician has several different scrubs and masks, held in seashells that are to be used during the service but at the end of my treatment I noticed she had several of the products left unused, unlike my friends technician. When I brought this to her
attention she muttered something about having just had extra left over, which was a blatant lie. There are several wonderful spas in South Beach with much better services and better prices that I would opt for if I stayed at that property again. The bottom line is that the Ritz is a very nice property with a mostly accommodating staff and is a nice departure from some of the other more trendy hotels in the area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Hartford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Stayed at this property for 3 days. Hadn't been there in a couple years - and was glad to be back. The room was upgraded (didn't ask, never do) -- they just did it - which was nice. Room was spacious and very nice. Staff was nice -- especially cleaning staff. Gym was nice and clean ---- lots of water and towels. Hotel has a great location if you want to be close to all the shopping and restaurants etc. - but its busy area so be prepared. Its like being in NYC but on the beach. Pool was very crowded every day - but since I didn't use the pool but went to the beach, didn't bother me. The clientele - well....some extremely loud tourist groups from England - but they were entertaining to some degree as long as you didn't have be right next to them. We had a nice breakfast one morning and much enjoyed the ice tea which came infused with pomegranite (I think) in a great little carafe with liquid sugar. A nice touch. Met my expectations for a Ritz Carlton.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

The Ritz Carlton hotels are the best for Service but not in Miami Beach (South Beach). The Pool service was great however the service at the front desk and spa was below standard. The rooms are small and no views unless you book into a Lanai Room or a terrace room which cost alot. Location is great. Yes, I'd go back but only in the Lanai Room.

Room Tip: Lanai Rooms which are surrounded by the pool.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

Hard to fault the hotel for much, but there do seem to be more exciting/dynamic places to stay in the same general neighborhood and certainly in this price range. Didn't seem to have the energy and new-ness of Fontainebleau or Shore Club. Balcony (direct view on beach/pool) was somehow underwhelming compared to many other ocean front balconies I've had - perhaps it was the slighly higher/thicker than normal walls. Location of hotel is very good though for accessing Lincoln Road, but Miami is one place where I think being +/- 10 (Collins) blocks away from your ideal location is less important than in other cities where getting around is less pleasant. The usual glamour of the Ritz just fell flat as the hotel felt a bit tired/dull (although not necessarily old).

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach? Share your experiences!