“not a good place” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“not a good place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was a great bargain find for us when we arrived we were not too impressed but when the room has been changed we were fine there were 2 good sized beds and the hotel decor is basic and does need a bit of updating but it served the purpose. Houekeeping was not too good and we had to ask many times to get the room service. When they moved out rooms they lost some of our stuf and rather than giving the money back they took the money from our daily fees but the hote was just for us to sleep in so it served the purpose. the view of the beach and the water was phenominal and if there was one thing that was really amazing it was this!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
CserviceDeauville, Guest Relations Manager at Deauville Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in one of our newly renovated rooms. We have begun an aggressive room renovation project and guest experience review to address and correct room and guest service issues. We understand that although our location and views are fabulous, our guest experience does not end there. This is the reason we have begun to retrain our staff from the ground up. We realize that you have entrusted us with your valued vacation, so it is our commitment to you that we should exceed your expectations. We sincerely hope that you stay with us next time and experience the improvements.

2,000 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Thai first
New Paltz, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here on a quick weekend trip to Miami. We got a great deal on it and got exactly what we paid for.
The location is good if you want to be away from all the action in South Beach and still enjoy a beach side property. Our room was bay side but you could still see the ocean as well. The room was clean and nothing special. The reason we got the great deal we did was due to the construction in the pool area. Luckily for us, they didn't work on the weekends, but we still dealt with the eyesore of a half renovated area.
Overall I would not come back to this hotel, but I don't think its as horrifying as others make it out to be.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Claudio R, Guest Relations Manager at Deauville Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear see that you enjoyed the location and wonderful views that our rooms offer. Our pool area is currently undergoing upgrades not a under constructions, that will greatly enhance our guest experience. We hope to have you back in the near future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Laying in a little-brown-bug-infested bed at as we speak, (did I mention it's 3 am and I'm ready to crawl out of my own skin?) I advise anyone considering this hotel to run the other way screaming.

Upon arrival, we were told the nearest parking lot was 5 blocks away. A little inconvenient, but it wasn't the end of the world.

We had a very nice (partial) beach view, though fairly hard to see through the window filth.

We quickly realized this is a VERY old building that hasn't been taken care of very well when we noticed the ripped carpets, stains everywhere, cracks in the tiles, and old decor. Also, the sheets and blankets are very itchy and the beds fold in half when you lie on them.

The music from clubs on the beach is very loud and you can hear the bass from the room. This goes on 'till all hours of the night, we're talking 3 and 4 in the morning.

Because of the low price, we were willing to overlook the above issues until we met our not-so-little friend in the bathroom.

My mother went to use the restroom in the middle of the night, only to find a massive cockroach. After shaking out all our clothes and zipping everything up, we decided to try another shot at sleeping. Looking carefully, I started to notice little brown bugs crawling all over my pillow. Need I say more?

This hotel is not for Guests with any type of standard of cleanliness. I would never recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed December 2012
Claudio R, Guest Relations Manager at Deauville Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Although this may serve as a small consolation, you will be happy to hear that we have recently acquired a modern multi-story parking building located diagonal to the property so that we can provide all of our guests with more than adequate parking space. A lack of adequate parking was one of the biggest inconveniences that our guests faced and although it took us some time to resolve, we are happy to inform you that with our new parking facilities, The Deauville Beach Resort now has the most parking spaces of any hotel this side of Miami Beach! We would like to invite you to come and stay with us again I would also like to inform you that we take pest control very seriously as it can severely impact our property. Because we are in a Tropical climate, we have a strict fumigation program that consists in periodic room, hallway and public area fumigation as well immediate spot fumigation should this be required. I would like to know if you reported this issue to the front desk as we do not have record of such report. If you let us know which room you occupied, it would greatly help us in solving this isolated issue.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

This hotel was a major letdown and utterly disgusting. The outside and the lobby are nice but that is as far as it goes. When we checked into our room I was taken aback with how filthy it was. The carpets were very stained, all of our towels and washcloths were stained with what looked like old makeup and mildew, the towel that was provided as a bath mat looked like it was stained with old blood, the bed skirts which are a light gold color were filthy with stains from what looked like fluid all over all of them (we had two beds), the bathroom mirror had grooves in it and it was full of makeup and toothpaste from precious guests, there was hair on the bathroom floor and in our tub. There was also soap scum and that reddish brown junk all along the tub, the kind that appears after a while of not being cleaned. When we first entered the room there was a large closet on the right, it was very dusty and full of more stains from spilled coffee etc. as this is where the coffee machine is located. It is also where the blanket for your bed is kept, I chose not to use one bad they were also very dirty and had crusty stains on them. On and off throughout our stay I'd notice a couple little bugs in the bathroom, little tiny brown ones. I thought nothing of it being in a humid environment UNTIL, I got up one night to use the washroom and the counter, floor and baseboards were crawling with them. Hundreds of them. Everyday before leaving the hotel we would tidy up, put all of our empty juice and water bottles together and any take out containers (like pizza boxes etc.) in a pile, housekeeping did not bother taking them once the entire four (4) days we were there. They did however bang on our door every morning between 8:30 and 9:00 to come in and asked us each day why we were not checked out and how long we would be, check out is 11:00 not 8:30 and we had a 4 day stay. We had rhe latch on the door and the housekeeper would just keep pushing and pushing trying to open the door causing an awful noise. Our last two days they came to the door twice within a half hour time frame. The staff are quite rude and not very polite for the most part, there were a few exceptions, like two of them but the ones at front desk don't seem very well trained and are not very helpful, none of them knew any precious communication we may have had with the front desk and none of them ever gave the same answer.

One day, the screws to the arm that allows the door to the room to open fell out and if one of us were not in the room we would hav been locked out with no way to get back in.

We only stayed the amount of time we did because there was a big art show/event going on and everything and I mean everything else was sold out. I had a container of Lysol wipes with me so those were put to good use there. The pool area was very dated and the pool bar/restaurant very dirty. Everything in our room as far as soap (which the housekeeping just kept piling on our counter), looks like it is still from the 50's.

I tried calling the front desk from my room about 5 seperate times and nobody answered once. The call would the go to the hotel operator who sounded very pissed to be receiving a call from me, she quickly told me to hold then transferred me back to the front desk where after 5 minutes of ringing, nobody answers. I would just hang up.

We had an oceanfront room and the view was amazing but, not amazing enough to compensate for the rest of the issues. There were no phone books in the room if you wanted to order dinner and nobody who worked there was of any help with places to go.

We were with a group of 8 at 2 ppl to a room and everyone had very similar experiences. We were all on different floors for the most part (floors 9,10,11).

Save yourself the money and disgustingness and book elsewhere. I really wish I would have refused to pay.

• Stayed December 2012
Claudio R, Guest Relations Manager at Deauville Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
We are sorry that you did not have a pleasant experience at our hotel. Although we strive to achieve 100% satisfaction, we realize that there will be situations where we do not meet or exceed our guest's expectations. The Deauville Beach Resort has over 488 units and is one of the largest properties in Miami Beach. A small percentage of unsatisfied guests will still yield a large number of complaints. However, no guest complaint is acceptable to us and we are taking all necessary steps to address any such issue. I would like to know if you expressed your dissatisfaction with your room upon check in so that we could have offered you a different room or been able to resolve your issues while you were still staying with us.

It is our general policy that housekeeping knock on all doors and announce themselves prior to entering and servicing the rooms. We provide all rooms with "Do Not Disturb" signs to be placed on the outside of the doorknob. This lets our housekeeping staff know that you do not wish to be serviced and they schedule your room for later in the day. We encourage our guests to make use of these signs in order to prevent unnecessary inconveniences cause by our daily housekeeping service.

We regret to hear that you did not have the pleasant experience that we work so hard to provide and would have wished that you would have given us the opportunity to correct any flaw you encountered during your stay. However, I would like to let you know that your opinion means a lot to us and that we continue to work hard to improve the property, our guest relations, and the amenities that our wonderful resort provides.
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We started off irritated at this hotel because we thought our booking had been prepaid by our travel agent, Thomas Cook. Yes, the room was prepaid but there was a 'resort fee' of 84 dollars which we had to pay in addition for our 5 night stay. We also could not check into our room until 4 pm although we arrived at midday (but I'm told this is normal in the USA). After finally gaining entrance to our 'superior' sea-view room after several attempts with our 'mind-of-its-own' key card, we were not impressed. I opened the wardrobe and the door came off its hinges. Moreover the wardrobe only had space to hang clothes - nowhere to lay out anything else. I went to the safe to find that it did not work. I moved the clock radio to one side and the front fell off it! There were big bedside lamps but they were covered with shades which made them useless for reading. There was one armchair - admittedly comfortable but there were two of us!
The wash basin had no plug.
This is the 'hotel from hell' we thought. However, from that point things looked up. We called customer services and someone arrived very quickly. He repaired the safe, took the shades off the lamps so that we could read in bed and brought an additional lamp for the desk.
We were impressed by the fact that the hotel was directly on the beach which was beautifully clean. Also, the hotel pool, whilst admittedly not looking great, was very large and a pleasure to swim in. Moreover, the reclining chairs of which there were plenty, were extremely comfortable.
We didn't eat in the hotel because we noted that there was a 9% sales tax and 19% service charge but there were plenty of decent restaurants close by where we had breakfast and dinner. The Wallgreens supermarket directly opposite the hotel was also very handy for buying snacks (delicious pineapple pieces), water etc.
Also, we found the concierges extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
So..... although I can't say that the many adverse comments on Trip Advisor are wrong, we actually ended up enjoying our time at the Deauville. It certainly needs some investment (probably not a lot really to make it a very decent hotel) but the location is great (local buses stop outside the hotel) and we did enjoy our time there.

Room Tip: The 'superior' sea-view room is probably not worth the extra cost in December because you on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are currently undergoing room renovations and general improvements in our hotel. We thank you for your patience and for having reported these issues to us as well as for giving us the chance to correct them while in-house. I am happy to hear that our maintenance personnel was expeditious in responding and so that you could fully enjoy your stay. Our central location in Miami Beach offers you the convenience of dining at our beautiful Italian restaurant, ordering room service, or enjoying the many great restaurants around the area that would fit any budget. I would like to reiterate that we are taking all necessary steps to improving our overall guest experience and your particular review is testament to the commitment we have to proving all of our guests with a quality vacation experience and great customer service.
Miami Beach, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We just came back today, December 5 2012...This place is so run down, I can't believe anyone could go here and not be horrified. It looks like it was built in the 1950's and has never been renovated. The pool is so bad you can see almost the entire concrete floor because the diamond brite is almost gone. The outdoor bar is dripping rust from the roof, they have a fence to the beach that is crumbling with rusted nails sticking out of it... AND THEY CHARGE A RESORT FEE!?!?
We went into the main ball room and they wall papered over the mirrors, the rugs had huge stains on them...this place was disgusting and surely the worst hotel in all of miami beach. Whomever owns this place should be ashamed of themselves. HEAR ME NOW, BELIEVE ME LATER....STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: the best room is in another hotel
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We regret to hear how strongly you feel about the Deauville Beach Resort. We are currently undergoing extensive in-room renovations which will greatly improve the property. Many of the issues you mentioned have either already been corrected or are currently in the process of being resolved. We did a perimeter inspection of the beach fence and only found a small section with rust. We did not, however, find any nails as none are used. The fence area you describe has been painted and fixed. We agree, it was an eye sore, but it did not present a threat to our guests and was certainly one of the things that needed to be addressed. We do hope you visit us again and see the many differences first hand.
Westland, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Hotel restaurant kept changing prices stating menu had wrong info. Woman in restaurant had lap dog with her during dinner. Pool bar served my terminally ill father raw chicken fingers! Only the batter was cooked...not even the outside of the chicken once you peeled back the coating was cooked nevermind the center. 5 Hotel employees verified raw chicken. Had to see security to fill out incident report and he was very rude and treated us as if we did something wrong. We had 2 rooms for 2 nights and Hotel mgr offered $25.00 total but only if we would sign waiver stating they were not responsible for any foodbourne illness or WORSE! I asked Hotel Mgr (Andrea) for the name of person she reports to and she very rudely said that would be the owner and he doesn't talk to customers. She advised that SHE was in charge and no one else! Declined $25.00 and told her we would write internet reviews and report to Health Dept instead! Basically they can do & say what they want and you have to accept it from the B in charge! I hope the owner reads these so he can get a new Mgr!

Room Tip: Cannot recommend anything for this Hotel!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Deauville Beach Resort? Share your experiences!