“Change is Good” 2 of 5 stars

1330 Pennsylvania Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
New York City, New York
“Change is Good”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

I wonder if Nathan is reading these reviews. Maybe it's time to shake things up and get another property manager over at Sunbrite. Change is good !!!! Having stayed there several times there has been a decrease in the level of service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Sunbrite Apartments, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Hello Mike S,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review. We're sorry that you were not satisfied with the level of service during your stay. We highly value guest feedback and truly appreciate your opinion. We hope that you will be back to visit us again.

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

My family and I were supposed to stay at Sunbrite while my husband was working in the area. We had some confusion leading up to our stay just trying to secure pack n plays for our two small children, but we had no idea what these people were capable of messing up until we got there. We went to the Chelsea and picked up our key, and were sent to Sunbrite. We got over there in our cab, unloaded everything into the courtyard, and soon discovered that our key was for a room number that didn't exist in that building. When my husband called the management at the Chelsea, they made him WALK back there (1/2 mile) only to tell him we then had to somehow gather our things and WALK to a completely different building, about 1/3 of a mile north of Sunbrite. My husband ended up having to make two trips back and forth because with our kids and all of our luggage we couldn't do it in one trip. This all took place with ZERO explanation about why we weren't able to stay at Sunbrite and how someone gave us a key for another place but still sent us to Sunbrite, etc.
The next day I called Ana Clemente from our apartment at the "Sunset apartments" building because we had a nice kitchen with almost NOTHING in it to cook with. No coffee maker, ONE stock pot, very few plates or any other items. We also had just a big stall shower, which was a problem with trying to bathe our small children. The ONLY thing they managed to get right was to provide the two pack n plays we needed. Ana's explanation for us not being at the Sunbrite? 'It was a last minute decision because the two 'huge' cribs would never fit anywhere in the one bedroom at Sunbrite.' This is ridiculous. We routinely use pack n plays in small hotel rooms and were willing to put them in the living area if need be. Their website boasts 650sq ft one bedrooms, so I don't believe she was telling the truth and she and no answer for me when I mentioned that. Her response to my wanting to be back at Sunbrite? 'We have a one bedroom you can come see but the huge cribs will never fit. If you aren't happy with where you are now you are free to take back your money and find somewhere else to stay.' This woman knew that my husband's employers had arranged the accommodations and that we weren't at liberty to take their money and just do whatever. She even had the nerve to cc emails between myself and her to his employers about our situation in an obvious effort to make me look bad to them. She lied repeatedly about our accommodations at the Sunset in her emails so that it would look like I was complaining for no reason, etc. When I asked how we went from a fully usable kitchen and full bath with a tub at Sunbrite to the kitchen with no equipment and the bathroom with no tub, she said our kitchen was 'beautiful and fully functional' and that a 'toilet, sink and shower is a full bath.' She is either a nutcase or just a dishonest manager; either way she can't be trusted.
Ana did send housekeeping staff to give us things to use in the kitchen, but thank God I speak a lot of Spanish or we would have gotten nowhere. They were friendly and helpful at the very least.
The apartment at Sunset was spacious, and the pack n plays fit fine in the bedroom with us. The living/kitchen area was big, but too bad pieces of the unfinished cement floor were coming up and the kitchen sink leaked in a couple places when I had to bathe my kids in it. UGH.
The upside of the situation at Sunset was the location. We could get to Lincoln Road and all the restaurants and shops in five minutes, and the beach on 5-10. Beyond that the Sunbrite appears to be a MUCH nicer building with MUCH nicer apartments.
Bottom line: There are so many choices of accommodations around Miami Beach there's no reason to risk dealing with this management. The explanations they offer after other reviews about some mix up with computers is most likely not true based on our experience. I think they overbook at Sunbrite and once people are stuck in Miami Beach with nowhere to go they force them over to Sunset with garbagey explanations or no explanation at all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Sunbrite Apartments, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Hello Rachel E,

Thank you for sharing your honest extensive feedback with us! We are terribly sorry that your stay with us was less then enjoyable! We understand that your reservation was coming from the World Symphony. You had reservations for a Small Studio at Sunbrite, and we had to move you to Sunset Apartments. You had 2 big play pens that would not fit in any of our small Studios at Sunbrite. We know that you were missing some items in the kitchen, and we went ahead and replaced them immediately. Ana our General Manager spoke with you 2 days after at Sunset Apartments and you stated that you were very unhappy. Ana offered to waive the 2 nights stay charge if you did not feel happy with the accommodations, due to not being able to accommodate the 2 big play pens. We did everything that we could to provide you with excellent service, and tried to compensate you for the inconvenience. We apologize that your stay was not amazing!

Hamilton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

When booking on hotwire.com my confirmation said sunbrite penn station with an address of 1330 pennsylvania ave. i understood that coming into town later than 5pm i would have to check in at chelsea hotel - which was fine, although it necessitated an additional taxi cost. when checking in i was asked to sign some papers and a pre-authorized credit card receipt and then given a paper with multiple address and "#426" written at the top. I assumed i was going to the hotwire confirmation location of 1330 pennsylvania only to get there and not be able to get in with the provided gate code AND there was no apt 426. When i phoned back to the chelsea hotel, i was told i was at "sunset" that was nearby. not a local to the area, i had to use my own very expensive cell phone service to locate where to go and then we had to walk 5 blocks with all of our luggage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Totally unacceptable.

So we finally arrive at our "condo" as it was advertised. We slept there for one night and walked around town the next day only to return and slip and fall on your tile floor due to a gigantic puddle in the middle of the floor due to numerous leaks in the ceiling (I'm guessing due to rain). So, since there is no one onsite to contact, we trekked back to chelsea hotel and requested a room change. I specifically asked for a unit where someone onsite could take care of the problems that kept coming and was moved to another apt in the same location #409. So we spent an hour re-packing our luggage to move it to a downstairs unit which at first seemed much nicer. However on further inspection the tv in the bedroom does not have a satellite unit and we cannot get any channels. Also, there were no toiletries (soap, shampoo) in this new unit so we had to go back upstairs and get our half used ones! In addition, this morning, it took 10 minutes for hot water to come though the shower head. My husband and I emailed the "manager" and NEVER received a response!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Sunbrite Apartments, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Hello there leanmcg,

Thank you so much for sharing your honest and extensive feedback with us! We are terribly sorry that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! Unfortunately we had an issue with our system causing Sunbrite and Sunset to be under the same name. We are working really hard to fix this as soon as we can. I will make sure that the General Manager is aware of your feedback! Perhaps you had sent the email to the wrong email address. She is good at getting back to emails very quickly. Once again our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that you experienced with us!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

i've been at Sunbrite for one week (last november) and before my arrival i started to have serious problems with them. First of all they assured me they could handle some boxes with some stuff that I've bought and sent to them. When it was missing only 4 days to my arrival, they sent me an email telling that all my boxes were being left by the UPS carrier at their garden and they had no control of what it was lost or not, since many people could get in and out the hotel, and possibly get one of them. After my arrival I've found out that there was no front desk at the local. You (possible traveler from other country who has no cellphone) have to call them in a telephone number so someone of their staff can go there to meet you and give you the key of your room. The room is confortable, at least. Also, you cannot find anyone (only the cleaning ladies stay there the whole day) who speaks english, so if you need an extra towel for example, and you cannot speak spanish, you have a problem.
to finish my wonderful experience, i forgot my new cellphone (i've bought it the day before) at the room sofa, and left the hotel to catch my flight. 30 minutes after i've left the room, i've called them and told the cellphone was at the room, in the sofa. Guess what? The cellphone was not found, of course.
In resume, the only reasonable thing in this hotel is the price and the room. Worst service ever.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Sunbrite Apartments, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Hello BWOLLNY,

Thank you for taking your time to provide us with your honest feedback, regarding your recent stay with us! We are extremely sorry to read that you had such a negative experience with us! We do accept packages to be delivered to the hotel. Though there is not always someone on property to watch over these packages, which is the same when a package is delivered to a house or an apartment building. We do have someone on property at certain times. I am glad that you were content with your room! Our housekeepers might not understand a whole conversation in English but definitely know the basics. Once again I apologize for the negative time you had with us! Though situations like yours are rare, it is something we must always be vigilant about as we continually try to enrich your stay with the best experience!

Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed at this cosy, chaming and very beautiful apartament, for a week in July and it was fantastic. it is also very well located. I mean, near of everything you need.The people from the office are very friendly. It's a safety place, you can go out and nothing to worry about. There are two bikes that you can use. at six o'clock you can go to Chelsea Hotel on Washington avenue to have a happy hour with drinks on the house.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Sunbrite Apartments, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hello RosanaBetareli,

I am extremely glad to read your positive review. I see that you had a great time while staying with us in July. We are located in a great spot in South Beach, close to all the action yet far enough when you want to get some quiet time. We do offer complimentary cocktail hour at Chelsea, and it's always a fun time! We hope to have you stay with us again in the future!

São Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Mistake #1: We arrived at the place we book with a surprise. A close door, nobody to help us out and just a number to call in. We did it! An international call as we not from here! Can you imagine with we had no cellphone or credits?!?

Mistake #2: A lady answer the phone and told us to go to another address to get a password and a key. We also asked for parking instruction and she told us that we could park anywhere without an issue. We went back to the apartment to realize the code was not working nor the key!

Mistake #3: Meanwhile I came across a police officer to check the info on the parking and he told us that she was completely wrong and if we stood there put car would be towed!!!

Mistake #4: we went back to the place we got the keys (already pissed after a 4 hour drive) to be sent to another apartment, different then the one we rented without a clear explanation!

Mistake 5: without even knowing if the change was for good or for worse! We went for a shower to cool down. After it we went out to buy groceries. 20 min later we went back and another surprise: the very hard to guess security code 4321 was not working! We call number on the door and ask for someone to come. Two more couples came and waited for almost 40 min. We call again! Very pissed of and got the answer somebody was coming in 1 min!!! Of course nothing happened until a guy decide to jump over the fence and open or by himself!

Mistake #6: we entered but waited for the supposed maintenance guy to come. He came and open the door, and put up a bad face saying that was working and teaching us how to dial 4321! At this moment we just ignore to ovoid any more confrontations!!!

MISTAKE #7 AND THE WORST: was to woke up at 12.30am and them at 4.30am at night with an annoying and loud sound of your fire alarm because probably nobody tested it in the last weeks.

MISTAKE #8: Next day they sent a maintence guy to fix the alarm, but at the night (after midnight) the alarm started again every 30 minutes!!!!!

After lose 2 days of our vacations, they moved us back to the place that we first booked (sunbrite) and give us a discount.... ANYWAY, I DON'T RECOMEND TO ANYONE... And to avoid problems with the role "group of hotels", check first all the "hotels" from SOUTH BEACH GROUP. They have like 7 different places, but all with this same terrible "customer service".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Sunbrite Apartments, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Good Afternoon Nina624,

Thank you so much for taking your time to provide us with your extensive feedback on your recent stay with us! We do have a gate around our property that is locked for our guests security. I did speak with the General Manager about your review and she did indeed remember this situation. She informed me that since we were sold out at Sunbrite for a Studio room booked through Booking.com we upgraded you to a beautiful huge apartment at Sunset Apartments. When booking through a third party your room type is never guaranteed. Booking.com must have made a mistake and overbooked therefore you were upgraded to another location. Unfortunately the smoke alarm had run out of battery (which is something that is out of our control) but our maintenance man came to assist you twice with this matter. The following day we moved you to Sunbrite and compensated you with 1 complimentary night for the inconveniences. We did everything that we could to try and accommodate you, and understand that you were not happy and we apologized to you profusely! Once again I would like to apologize on our behalf for the inconveniences that you experienced.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Summary of our stay:
We got a one bedroom apartment.
It's pretty big, the whole building has brand new furniture and it was remodeled recently.
Location is ok, next to Washington ave where there's plenty of night activity going on... beach is a 15 min walk.
They will clean your apartment every 2/3 days. There are 2 plasma tvs, full kitchen(including dishes) and a bathtub. There is also laundry facility fir$3a load abd dry(no detergent).
The service is good when they're there, but they're only there during the day, at night and early morning no one on premises, so you gotta go to the Chelsea hotel if you need anything(such as keys, late check in etc), and another issue: no swimming pool.
Place is quite, no late noise at all, there are benches and couches outside the room but people were quite.

• Stayed August 2013
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Sunbrite Apartments, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Hello there yoni89,

We absolutely love when guests take the time to post their feedback, and better yet when it's 5 STARS!! :) I see that you found the apartment to be nice and spacious and were content with the remodeling that we did. We are close to all the action, yet far enough when you want to escape it and get some quiet time. Our staff is only there during the day as we are more of an apartment style property. We are glad that you had a great time while staying with us! We hope that you would stay with us again, when visiting Miami!

Katrine

Been to Sunbrite Apartments? Share your experiences!