“Every Queen needs a Palace...This aint it!” 2 of 5 stars

You added Sunbrite Apartments to your Saves list
Sunbrite Apartments
1330 Pennsylvania Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Every Queen needs a Palace...This aint it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

What seemed like a great deal at the time I booked it for $505 for 3 nights turned out to more headache than I bargained for.

The Bad:

OVERSOLD - When I arrived to the hotel at 4:30pm I learned that the hotel was oversold and since my reservation was the last one booked they were "walking" me to another property. The receptionist stayed on hold with the South Beach Group for an extended amount of time with no information. I stated to the Hotel Manager that after traveling all day the last thing I wanted to do was to get back in a cab and go to another property and why wasn't this sorted out before my arrival if they knew they were oversold. She told me that the other properties were nicer and I should be lucky to get the upgrade. Obviously she was missing the point and that wasn't the response that be given to a paying guest with a reservation for that specific property. After waiting almost an hour someone finally calls back and tells the receptionist to give me a room there and to "walk" a guest arriving later. So basically they had rooms the whole time but were holding them for someone who hadn't even arrived yet and there I was in their face for an hour. But this overbooking issue was not just with me, I heard them have the same conversation with others throughout the weekend.

SERVICE - Housekeepers clean only once every three days and the office is only open from 10am-6pm (not sure what the procedure is if you arrive late for check-in). This is not a big deal to most but please be aware of this as I was not until I arrived. Also when you check out, you have to remove all trash from the room and clean and dry your own dishes (no dish soap provided). Think about that one...you are eating off the dished cleaned by the previous guest. Yuck, I think not and this has to be a violation of the Department of Health. I wonder what bacteriological swabs of the dishes cleaned by the previous guest would reveal. Also, I asked to stay an extra hour and they wouldn't allow me to do so without a $50 charge...you think after the crappy start they could have comped the charge.

INTERNET - This had to be the worst Wi-Fi I have experienced in a long time. It was very slow and on day 2 there was a complete outage due to repairs. However it was slow again after it was back online.

The Good:

THE ROOMS AND GROUNDS - The rooms were a great size and very modern. I love the updated decor and the size was amazing. It is a huge bonus to have a full kitchen with you on vacation. The grounds were absolute beautifully landscaped and very well maintained. You would see staff cleaning very frequently.

LOCATION - Perfect location in my opinion. On a quiet street in SOBE yet a quick 5 min walk to the beach and to Lincoln Road.

Would I recommend this hotel? That is a good question. It is such a nice facility and I definitely think with some improvements on reservations, internet, and service this could be a perfect place to stay. Until then I don't think I will be back and if you do decide to book call ahead to ensure they will honor your reservation and check to see if they made changes in service.

Room Tip: Call ahead just before you travel to ensure your reservation will be honored. According to previous...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Sunbrite Apartments, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Good Afternoon ATLtoEUR67,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post such an extensive feedback! I am extremely sorry to read that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! We did experience an issue with overbooking but was able to resolve that within some time. I am terribly sorry to read that our housekeepers did not clean your room on a daily basis. This is unacceptable and I will make sure to inform the director of housekeeping this. We always deep clean the room as well as the dishes that are provided to you. The housekeepers always clean them as the guests departs. Can you please provide me with the last name that was on your reservation? I would like to check some things on there. We did experience an issue with the WiFi and everything is resolved and back to normal. I am glad that you were content with the size of your room as well as the decor. Our location is great and all of our guests love that we are walking distance to all of the hot spots on South Beach! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I look forward in hearing from you!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I booked this place because I needed a bit of TLC after a month backpacking through Mexico. I was really surprised at how lovey my apartment was. Very clean, the bed was fantastic and there was an excellent stereo system and two televisions. The grounds themselves are lovely, especially at night when it's all lit up. It's about a five to ten minute walk to the shops. The only annoying thing was having to pick up the key from a different hotel. My flight landed mid-evening, not actually that late, but they close the reception at 6pm. The cab driver was very kind and waited for me while I checked into the other place. The wifi was fast. The ladies at the desk were reasonably friendly. I got a great deal on booking.com so overall this place was a steal. I would return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Sunbrite Apartments, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback. I am really glad that you chose to stay with us to get some TLC after a month backpacking through Mexico! We are conveniently located in the middle of all the action! I also see that your check in process went well and you were given good service. Yes- the internet is very fast here. :)
We hope to have you stay with us soon!

Cartersville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I spent our wedding anniversary week in Miami June 29 - July 5, 2012 and we loved these apartments!!! I had been searching for an inexpensive Hotel in South Beach which is almost impossible to find and I was about to give up when I just happend to find Sunbrite.
They we cheaper than ALL the other hotels we looked at and when we arrived it was nicer than the pictures!! We reserved a studio and were upgraded to the 1 bedroom apt at no extra charge!!! It is huge, clean and close to EVERYTHING!!!
We purposely did not rent a car because we were in walking distance to everything South Beach has to offer, Lincoln Rd, Espanola Way, the beach!!!! all just a short walk away...it was close to everything but in a quiet neighborhood all at the same time.
The apartments and the grounds are very nice and the staff was friendly and helpful......we will definately stay here again!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great and very spacious either the studio or the 1 bedroom apt.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Good Day Dorothea,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad to read that you and your husband loved Sunbrite Apartments! Yes- that is one good thing about South Beach. Everything is within walking distance and if not a couple dollar cab ride away. We hope to have you come back and stay with us if and when you come to South Beach again.

We hope to see you soon!

Zug, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We booked 8 nights at penn station. After arrival we had to checkin at the partner hotel. We had to wait for more than 1h to get the key. They gave us another apartment instead of the one we booked. I have had already paid the apartment before visiting miami, so they charged me again the whole amount instead of the deposit!! Next day we had to take a chat with the lady of the apartment. She told us they will refund me the amount. Well, after 3 days no refund was done, but they charged another time the whole amount! So we had to change our plan to take another chat with them. At the end, they refund us the 2 charging. As well the thought we'll stay only 7 nights instead of 8 I've booked. (I have the receipt).
No toaster available in the apartment.
One night we could not sleep due of terrible noise.

Summary: Good location - Nice Apartment - TERRIBLE organisation,

Room Tip: Rooms in Drexel Ave ave are better located but facilities are better in penn. ave.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read. I am glad that you liked the apartment and the location. I apologize greatly for the organization and the back and forth that you were put through! What noise did you encounter at night that made it difficult for you to sleep?
We hope that you come back and stay with us again!

Have a great day!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

It was an absolute nightmare! Leaking water above our head - front door had loose hinges. The manager was rude and extremely unhelpful and told us to leave if we weren't happy, instead of trying to rectify the problem. What a joke!!!! We stayed one night and moved to another hotel.
Never EVER again!!!!!! It may be cheaper than the average appartment but don't be fooled. Safety is paramount and should always come first. Obviously not in the site manager, Anna's case. There was someone else from the sunbrite at our new hotel who had the same issues and complaints about Anna. We had a very LUCKY escape!

• Stayed August 2012
Steve_Sbg_Vibe_Mgr, Manager at Sunbrite Apartments, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Cindy K,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are sadden to hear, Sunbrite was not the hotel for you. Our front doors to all the rooms face the patio. Our patio is an open air patio and when it rains the patio is exposed to the elements. This design was created when the building was built in the 1940's. Most of the art deco buildings were designed this way. As for the front door hinges this was an isolated incident and was rectified immediately. We hope after your request to transfer hotels that the Tradwinds was to your liking. We hope you reconsider and return for the true Sunbrite experience.

Great Falls, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I stayed here for a month while on a consulting project and really enjoyed it. It's really setup as an apartment complex around a great little courtyard that has a few tables for dining and outdoor patio furniture with umbrellas in a nicely landscaped setting.

The apartments are fully furnished and have amenities like hair dryer, iron and ironing table, kitchen area (with some dishes), towels, soap, etc. just like in a hotel, but they only clean once per week.

The location is excellent, a block and a half away from Espanola Way (a pedestrian street with restaurants) and only four blocks from the beach.

Room Tip: Try La Sandwicherie, only a block and a half away off the corner of Washington and 14th Street. Gre...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Gite-Guy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Its great to hear you enjoyed your months stay. Thanks for the great pictures. We look forward to your return.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

If you want to a really great experience in South Beach with a great hotel Manager who cares about her guests, stay here! This place is perfectly located and the studio rooms are so much more spacious than what you get anywhere else on the beach. A few blocks from the ocean and a few blocks from Lincoln Road--yet, its a quiet oasis that lures you to hang out in its patio beach chairs as if your a local! A definite find in a resort area that is usually characterized by hotel managers and staff who don't care and rooms that are overpriced and cramped. If you want to experience "sobe", pick Sunbrite.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
StartSpreadingDaNews,

Thank you for such a great review for our future guest to read. Your right about being blocks from everything and for the days you just want to chill our courtyard is the place to be. We now offer yoga in the garden. Such a great place to relax. We look forward to your return. We hope to see you soon.

Vibe Manager

Been to Sunbrite Apartments? Share your experiences!