“Don't waste your money!” 1 of 5 stars

Soho Beach House
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   4385 Collins Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #18 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Wheaton, Illinois
“Don't waste your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

First off let me say I very rarely right reviews, only when a place is super special and only when a place is very bad! This hotel falls under bad! My husband and I stayed here for our 15yr anniversary. Based upon reviews we read about this hotel we were very excited to splurge and stay at this upscale boutique hotel! First off it is very hard to find, tucked away in the corner of the road with no big signs. Once we valet, we checked in, there is alot of staff just standing around doing nothing but looking pretty. After a 3 hour convertible ride up from the keys, my husband and I were dressed casual and hair a little wind blown, the looks we received upon check in were just plain rude. Why? because we weren't dressed to the nines in the middle of the afternoon? next they ask you for a credit card to hold until check out, which is typical, however what they don't tell you is they PRE CHARGE your credit card $250 for any hotel incidentals you 'might' have. And this hold on your credit card stays until days after your departure. It's ridiculous! We get to our room and it's very nice and unique (I'll give them that), but for a $684 night stay I expected a view of something other than a roof and a small sliver of the ocean. After we freshened up a bit we decided to explore the grounds. First and foremost, the splash pool and bar on the 9th floor is a complete joke! The pool was filthy and the bar was completely closed down for the day (this was 4pm). Come to find out it is only open certain days and certain hours. This is also another place where we received stares, I guess our swim wear wasn't grand enough! So, we decided we would head downstairs and try the other pool. oNce again , it was deserted and not a drink to be had insight. We walked thru the 'garden' which is a bunch of weeds and a deserted bar with some broken down wooden chairs, and some xmas lights. The bar was closed as well! What the heck. Everything they advertise on their website is a joke. The only place we could find a drink was inside at the restraunt bar and we certainly weren't dressed to go in there. At this point I just wanted to shower and get out of this hotel and start our night out on the town. When we were getting ready we requested the ever so popular drink while you get ready that they advertise. I can't tell you how that was becasue our bartender never showed up to our room to make our drink. Our night out was very fun and when we returned to the room we did notice they came in for a turn down service which was a nice touch. I decided that tomorrow is another day and we should start fresh again. So, the next morning we showered ( they give you cowshed products to use, while the bottles are huge , the products are not that great). After getting dressed we went downstairs for breakfast. Once we were seated we noticed something very interesting. We were seated in a section where there were other men and women eating. Across the way there was another section of seating where only men and men ate or woman with women! While I can't prove it, it was very clear that they sat gays in one section and hetersexuals in another section. How very rude!! Seriously? Let me start by saying I support gays and have several family memebers who are gay and are married. They would be insulted to stay at a place like this where they are seperated. Another thing the reviews on this site fail to tell you is that this hotel was mostly gay people (not that I have a problem with that, it's totally fine). Me and my husband were definetly a minority. Having said that, there was alot of PDA, both with straight and gay people, so this is not a hotel for children!! I'm getting side tracked here - breakfast was horrible. our Italian accent speaking waiter was rude, rude, rude! our breakfast was small and overpriced. i ordrered a side of bacon for $9 and they sent out 3 pieces of burnt, burnt bacon. I asked my waiter if this was the typical way they served their food and if he would eat it like this. He of course said no, and I said...then why would you deliver this to my table and expect me to eat it?! I just can't express enough how much the service sucked here. My last review will be the only positive one. Their beach service was awesome! I give credit where credit is due. The towel and chair boys were friendly and happy to get us set up immediately. We were givena cooler with oranges and fresh water which was an awesome touch. We got our own watering can to sprinkle the sand off your feet before sitting on your chair. anther nice touch. They gave you magazine options. They came around and served a tray of nice cold watermelon slices, so nice on a hot day!! At that point I just wanted to live on the beach for the day because this is what I envisioned the hotel stay to be like. If you take anything away from this review, there are so many other better options in miami to stay. if you do get sucked into this hotel by all the good reviews like I did, book the cheapest room you can find. Who cares what your view is like when the hotel service sucks!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed at the soho beach house yesterday and we had the time of our lives. Such a great hotel! The room with sea front view and balcony was wonderful, they even have a service where a bartender come to your room and mix you a drink :) The spa is very nice and relaxing. The restaurants, cecconis above all, great!! The staff is super nice and service impecable. Will definitely come back to Soho beach house Miami!!

• Stayed January 2013
uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The restaurant was lovely and the waiters very knowledgeable and seemed genuinely interested in the food they were serving. Clientele were a little pretentious which was ever so slightly off putting (lots of surgery faces!) but all in all a nice place.

• Stayed October 2012
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed here with my husband this past weekend and ended up having an amazing time. We had a couple of issues in the beginning of our stay but the manager named Will turned everything around. Because of him, Soho house will be my home away from home. He definitely knows the meaning of customer service. The amenities are amazing but the staff make this place what it is. Also, make sure to go to the 8th floor to see the beautiful view of the ocean!

Thank you Will, David and everyone else for making my trip memorable!! I will be back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My family spent a few days which included being stuck inside for 2 whole days during hurricane season in Miami last summer Aug2012.Our room was fantastic,the hotel staff very attentive and the location is excellent. I would recommend this hotel over all the others and there is alot of choice. I walked the whole length of South Beach checking out most hotels as there was nothing else to do in a hurricane warning and this hotel is as good as it gets!
The hotel is serviced beach front with a cinema,gym and spa. The Cecconi's restaurant is excellent as is the hotel restaurant. The hotel staff had alot on their plate during the hurricane and the hotel never lost power and the staff worked hard. I had 2 children (boys) age 8 and 9 and the hotel coped very well with them. The hotel is good as it gets in South beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I really liked our room at Soho Beach House. We had a wet room, walk in shower, bigger than some apartments in NYC. In addition there was footed tub suited for 2, with the spout in the middle. The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in and the entire room must have been 700 sq ft, a novelty if you've coming from NYC.

The pool and poolside loungers were also great. It was pretty empty and comfortable, not crowded. The food was also very good and there were a number of options to choose from.

At first I was a bit disappointed with the service. The girls at the front desk seemed oblivious and very disorganized when I arrived. Food service took ages for just a coffee and a croissant and generally the service just seemed off for a members club. Granted, we visited right after the opening which may have had something to do with it. In any case, we had a word with management and the rest of our stay was pure bliss. It was really amazing how they were able to make a full about face and improve on the critiques. I thoroughly enjoyed the rest of my stay at Soho Beach House and would recommend it to others. I hope to be back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Sohobeachhouse1, Marketing Manager at Soho Beach House, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hello There,

Happy New Year.

Wanted to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor. Glad to hear you had a pleasant stay. We hope to see more of you in 2013. Feel free to contact me directly for any future bookings.

Cheers,

Lilaj
lilaj@sohobeachhouse.com
Woodford Green, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Spent 5 nights here in Nov 2012, and overall enjoyed the experience, in particular the beach and the service received there. That said, as this is a members club there are times we felt like outsiders as a lot of staff are very friendly, at times over friendly with the regular members.
The rooms are great, ours was road side and I was concerned the traffic noise maybe an issue, this didn't turn out to be the case. The beds are comfortable, the mini bar amazing and the bathroom with cowshed products a throughly wonderful experience.
We took in brunch on Sunday in Ciccone's which is excellent value, and the selection and quality of food to the standard you'd expect, booking in advance is advisable.
The cinema room had a great atmosphere and we enjoyed 'Skyfall' which had only just been released.
The location is good if you want to avoid the noise and bustle of South Beach, and as we're from London and used to getting around on public transport to was great to have a regular bus service, line 'S', that operates regularly to Downtown Miami via Lincoln Road making ideal for exploring during the day and out to South Beach nightlife. Stops are within walking distance of the hotel.
The main disappointment was the roof bar, which never seemed to be open, but it looked like it would have been fun.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Soho Beach House? Share your experiences!