“Hidden Gem for Families” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1410 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Tampa, Florida
“Hidden Gem for Families”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was our first trip with our daughter to South Beach and I am so glad that we chose Edgewater! From the moment we walked in, we were welcomed and greeted by their friendly staff. The staff was excellent in offering their best options for food and places to visit. The rooms were quiet, spacious, comfortable and clean. AND the beach access was fantastic. The beach was only a few steps away, which made it convenient for nap time! The hotel does provide beach towels and beach chairs which was nice. The free breakfast on the rooftop patio was a great way to begin each day. In addition, there is a free evening happy hour, which consisted of wine, beer and snacks. We enjoyed that! I highly recommend staying at Edgewater and bringing the family! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
George_Vesa, General Manager at Edgewater South Beach, responded to this review, August 31, 2014
Dear Nicole,

So great to see how you enjoyed everything we have to offer! We thank you for your recommendation and for choosing us for your stay in South Beach. We know how many other options you had.
We look forward to be at your family's service upon your return.

George Vesa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I stayed here for two nights in July. One word: AMAZING.

I've stayed at "boutique" hotels before, including others in South Beach and have all but stopped. Typically I have found "boutique" to be a way to disguise a hotel that has super tiny rooms and limited amenities. That couldn't be further from the truth here!

This place is incredible. There is no better location! Check-in was easy, the hotel was super clean, and they even have happy hour every evening. Very happy when you consider that they serve wines and beers FREE on the rooftop overlooking the ocean. There is also breakfast provided however I cannot comment on how good it was since I didn't wake up on time either morning (hey cut me some slack!).

I was shocked when I got to my room. The room was newly renovated and huge. There was a beautiful kitchen with a good sized fridge, large living room with a flat screen TV, DVD player and cable box with On Demand. Go down the hallway to find a large bathroom, and then a large bedroom with tons of closet space! The bed was incredibly comfortable. I have stayed at hotels that were far more expensive than this one and despite that, this may be one of my top 5 hotels. Clean, new, modern, with many amenities.

The location is killer as well - right in front of the park and path to go to the beach. Restaurants on either side and everything in walking distance. You will NOT be disappointed. This is my third hotel in South Beach and by far the best. STAY HERE!!!!

My only complaint if I had to dig for one is the parking - you have to do valet, however since Ocean is such a narrow street, it can get complicated getting your car taken care of since there is often nowhere to stop and you have to block traffic. However, I do not fault this particular hotel for that as it seemed like every single hotel had this issue going on.

Great stay, great service!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear ab3,

Wonderful to see that you had an AMAZING stay with us! Comments like your always motivate us to do even better for our guests. On behalf of our team, THANK YOU for taking the time to leave such a positive comment for us. We look forward to your return.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The location of the hotel could have not been any better walking distance from everything and if you where to lazy to walk a taxi cab could take you their as well. The staff was excellent especially the really tall guy I think his name was Charlie. The rooms where clean and you didn't hear any of the craziness going on outside. All in all the hotel was a great value and I will be coming back for another staycation as soon as I can.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Raul,

Always refreshing to get such positive feedback from locals, thank you. We appreciate being chosen for your "stay-cation" and hope to be at your service in the future.

Hilliard, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I had to book last min, and this was one of the cheapest hotels I could find off of Ocean Dr (south beach). And by cheap...it was still about $280/night plus parking was $30/day (or you could park out on the street, but you had to re-fill the meter to do so). Honestly the room was nice, and I had a balcony which was convenient for smoking (but the view was of the side of the building next door. They said they were having issues with the A/C and that it could not be turned down past a certain point (which sucked since I was there late June and it was really hot!). When I did turn it down it made an awful noise that was extremely annoying and made it hard to sleep. The attached restaurant was very good, but fairly pricy. The people working were very helpfully and professional. This hotel is at a quieter end of Ocean Dr., but just a few blocks down is where all the music, food and dancing was located.

My one piece of advice, especially for girls....do not go out my yourself! I got there 2 days before my boyfriend, and went out on the first night for one drink. I was talking to a group, and ended up being drugged. I was so messed up, was walking around Miami by myself, completely lost---it was the most awful experience ever! I woke up in my hotel room with bruises and scrapes everywhere and could not remember about 4 hours of the night, except flagging down a cab and getting back to the hotel around 4am. I had to go to urgent care (interesting experience in Miami) and I ended up testing positive for rufilin. So PLEASE do not trust anyone there and never go out by yourself.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

George_Vesa, General Manager at Edgewater South Beach, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Samantha:

So very sorry to read about your terrible ordeal in South Beach, it's sad that you were subjected to such an experience!!! What you said is definitely true, even if not alone, one should always be mindful of what is taking place around them, especially when in the company of someone you have just met. Unfortunately, this is one of the realities we face in a location which is considered to be an adult playground. We are happy that no real harm came to you and you found your way back to the hotel.
We wish you well and do hope that you will chose Edgewater once again if you decide to return to South Beach.

Richmond
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We took a three day trip to Miami for our anniversary this year. I found edgewater hotel through trip advisor, I think it was rated #8 and I found a good rate through trip advisor. The hotel is as close to the beach as the other hotels on Ocean Drive. There is a street, ocean drive, in front and then sidewalk, grass with pretty palm trees and then entrance into the beach. Our first room was a deluxe studio room with a balcony, the first day we walked into our room and there was a horrible smell... It was all the trash cans from the alley where our balcony faced. We called to the front desk And the front desk clerk said " it shouldn't be a problem, the smell will go away after awhile." I was not very happy with that as I was on vacation and who wants to smell horrible disgusting trash in their hotel room... We ended up upgrading to another room on the side of the hotel facing the street/ocean ... Our first room was 409, second room was 204. We paid more for room 204 but I could not handle two more days of that smell.... No one should have to! We had to wait around for hours before we get get into the new room which was inconvenient because we wanted to go to the beach but had to put our plans on hold so we could move our belongings, asked for new room around 10 am and didn't get into the new room until around 200ish... So we lost time on the beach waiting on staff.
The hotel does not have a pool, the balcony area is smaller than the pictures portrayed, the evening complimentary drinks are very limited and the snacks were pretzels and peanuts. The complimentary breakfast was basically breads, fruit, juice, water, coffee and a small cereal selection.
The hotel does provide beach towels and beach chairs which was nice.
The hotel had a restaurant attached but it closed after our first night there, it was overpriced and the service was not the best! Food was okay.
Ice machine is on first floor by front desk which is a bit inconvenient. There is no vending machines at all. There is a 7eleven and other stores within walking distance, I suggest getting items away from ocean drive because everything is expensive on ocean!
There was a staff member, Edward, who was extremely helpful, nice and willing to give us suggestions on places to eat. If you need something or have questions see Edward!
This hotel is small... Only 5 or 6 floors which is nice! The elevator is VERY SLOW! I've never seen an elevator this slow!
I found it weird that our second room did not have a tv in the bedroom, there was one in the living room.

We were rushing to check out because we had to make it to the airport and our driver was waiting for us so after we settled in the plane I asked my husband for the receipt. We were charged for items in the room mini bar that we did not take or use. I attempted to contact the hotel and when I did and spoke with staff I was put on hold for a very long time and ended up hanging up. If you do decide to stay at this hotel please check your bill. We saw another couple go through this during their checkout!

There are many hotels on Ocean ... Do your research and look at other traveler photos before making a decision. I will definitely check into other hotels when we travel to Miami again!
Rooms at edgewater are clean and beds are descent and some have kitchenettes.

Stayed July 2014
Hi Erin,

Thank you for providing us with such thorough feedback, we appreciate it. Please accept our apologies for the discrepancies you have experienced during your stay with us, especially during a special occasion.
Kindly note that some factors are out of our control due to the restaurant which is not owned or operated by us. The trash cans are one example. Even though we monitor and ask the restaurant operator to maintain cleanliness of this area, they don't always abide by our needs. We do have blue recyclable bins on Ocean Court (alley behind the hotel) which are used strictly for non-organic refuse. The way our reception associate replied to your comment is definitely not acceptable and we are addressing internally. The same applies with you being placed on hold for too long when you called to discuss the minibar charge. Our service standards are enforced regularly and this should not have happened.
When it comes to moving rooms, we do have to wait for current guests to depart (if the room is occupied) and then service the room before we can check-in (or move) an arriving (or moving) guest. Your wait was very likely due to this factor but we were still able to accommodate your move prior to our check-in time of 3PM.
Happy to see that Edward provided his usual stellar service and a positive aspect to your stay. I will reach out directly in hope of ameliorating the negatives and hopefully convince you to give us another try.

Respectfully,

Spring Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My stay at this hotel was awesome, the staff was extremely helpful, the room and facilities was outstanding. They provided beach chairs and towels, which was great. The staff helped with sightseeing and provided their honest opinion on food, shopping, nightlife, and beach activities. The local grocery store (Publix) and places like Ross was a 5.00 cab ride away. I would stay at this hotel again. Thank you.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong at this hotel, perfect location.