“Standard hotel, delivering what it knows well” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1410 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Standard hotel, delivering what it knows well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

+ve

• Excellent South Beech location.
• Room was very large and clean.
• Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful.

-ve

• Breakfast was awful. We didn’t venture up for breakfast until our 3rd and final day as we wanted to eat out and experience proper Miami breakfasts but with flight times, it made sense. Very limited continental.
• The safe was not fixed to the furniture so if someone wanted to steal your valuables all they would need to do if lift the safe.
• The restaurant at the front of the hotel is not linked. They offer you 20% off your meal – we ate there on the first night out of convenience and got 20% off the main courses only and not drinks.

If I could turn back time, would I have booked this knowing what I know now? Yes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
George_Vesa, General Manager at Edgewater South Beach, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Edgewater, we appreciate your feedback very much. Our breakfast is a continental option which is included in the resort fee but our location does offer plentiful options within walking distance for those who desire a full breakfast.
We are grateful to have been at your service and would be glad to be again during your next South Beach getaway.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

So here's the story. I forgot my friend's 40th birthday a couple of months ago (I know, I'm bad), and I said I'd make it up to her by treating her to a Miami trip the last weekend of June.

This was my first time at South Beach so I did some serious research on Tripadvisor and other websites before selecting a hotel. I found that Edgewater had consistently great reviews, so I took a chance and I'm so glad I did! A lot of other hotels on Ocean Drive and the around the vicinity looked pretty icky/shabby from the outside although you'll still pay a lot of money for them (I checked their prices). I've also read horror stories about uncleanliness which is a big deal for me as I am a "germaphobe".

When you walk up to this hotel you can immediately appreciate its beauty and cute architecture. The only other hotel that looked just as good in my opinion was the Betsy Hotel further up the block (but is also a lot more expensive per night than Edgewater).

Edgewater is not the cheapest but it's not ridiculously expensive either. You get a lot for your money here. It is right across from the beach and walkable to the Lincoln street shops. There is an $18 per day fee, but it covers the continental breakfast (bagels/croissants/pastries, cereals, yogurt, milk/coffee/tea) and happy hour which happens on the roof top terrace (with awesome views of the ocean). The staff who runs the breakfast and happy hour are very friendly. Neither event was noisy, but I liked that. It's very relaxing on that rooftop and I especially enjoyed its serenity during breakfast time with the morning sun and beach views! The hotel also has a restaurant by the entrance and hotel guests get 20% off their meals from their full menu.

One thing I also appreciate about the hotel's location is that although it is right on Ocean Drive, it is on the quieter northern side of the street. That means you can get a good nights SLEEP! But if you want the crazy parties it's only a short walk away. We appreciated a quiet place to sleep after a late night out.

Overall the hotel is modern, CLEAN and quiet! It looks just like the hotel pictures. When I opened the door to my standard studio room I was SHOCKED at how HUGE it was! It was just me and my friend staying there but you could comfortably sleep four people if you wanted to. There's a kitchenette in there with a sink and refridgerator and lots of cabinets with cups in them. The bathroom was beautiful and spotless. Closets were spacious and also had drawers.

There's also a nice fresh scent that permeates throughout the hotel. Some hotel guests might not even notice it at all, but me and my friend noticed it and found it very pleasant. I'm sure it's some kind of essential oil mixture, but I can't put quite my finger on it. It's not perfumey or overbearing at all. It's a a very light, refreshing, and dreamy scent that adds a nice touch to the hotel experience.

This hotel doesn't have a lot of amenities and frills like a gym, pool, or room service, but you will feel a "luxury hotel ambiance" with its beautiful modern decor and wonderful service. I can't emphasize enough this hotel's attentive service. Here are some examples.

- When it seemed that the last couple of beach chairs were gone, we were going to head to the beach without them, but Rafael just came out of no where and brought us some. It was like he overheard us from another room and immediately sprung into action. That was awesome.

- My friend and I were all dressed up to spend a night out. As soon we walked out the hotel onto the sidewalk, Rafael came out of the hotel to get us a cab without us even having to ask!

- Jonathan was extremely helpful suggesting activities and restaurants. He made sure we got our rollaway bed we that requested, and even called our room the morning that we were leaving to ask if we needed a taxi reserved (which coincidentally happened JUST after my friend said we should call for a taxi ahead of time lol).
So again, you see this recurring theme of the hotel staff anticipating your needs before you even realize it

- One day it was raining pretty badly during our usual happy hour so it happened in the lobby by the front desk instead of the terrace. My friend and I met Alejandro who was running the front desk at the time. Very friendly guy who was also knowledgeable about activities and places to eat like Puerta Sagura (a cuban restaurant). Somehow he not only juggled his front desk duties, but he was also able to contribute to making that happy hour a memorable and fun one for everyone despite the rain. He got everyone talking and laughing, it was great!

These are just a few small examples that stuck out in my mind but there was so much more. All the staff from the front desk folks, resturant staff, and cleaning staff were super friendly and always asking if you needed anything. Everyday they say good morning and ask how you are doing.

The only negative is that I wish that there was more lighting in my room, which was towards the inner courtyard. The room was pretty big, but there doesn't seem to be enough lights in the room to brighten it. It's no big deal. It's not like you'll be spending the day indoors anyways. Those rooms that are facing the ocean are probably brighter since they take advantage of the natural light coming from the east.

My friend, who had previously stayed at a higher-end hotel on South Beach last year, said that when she returns, she'll definitely be coming back to this hotel. She greatly enjoyed her belated-birthday weekend.

Thank you Edgewater South Beach staff for making our stay a memorable one!

- Lynda & Nadege

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such great feedback. We're very glad you enjoyed our location and service, we hope to see you back soon!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed in Edgewater South Beach hotel for 21 days, immediately at checking we felt we were threaded as an appreciated customer. The service is in one word Amazing! Everyday the staff at the front desk welcomes you and ask you how you are and if there is anything you need, they also help you in searching the best excursions, restaurant or even the best currency exchange rates and locations for the exchange. You also have the possibility to get as many beachtowels as you need for the beach and also a sun chair can be taken from the front desk. On the roof top they offer a free happy hour (included in the resort fee) on a daily basis with lounge chairs and background music. Besides all this I should really mention the room which was spacious and really felt like a luxury apartment. We had the studio deluxe that included a big flat screen TV, minibar, refrigerator, a really comfortable bed and a nice looking bathroom. The cleaning is done on a daily basis and even writes a thank you note if you leave a tip. I'm asthmatic so for me it is very important to get a clean room without any weird smells etc. They also showed us around in different rooms to find us the right one.

We really recommend this hotel because of the service they offer, the spacious clean comfortable rooms, location on Ocean Drive (many restaurants, bars and shops), 50-100 meters from the pearl white beach and least but not last the great staff!!

Edgewater South Beach hotel will be our hotel for our future trips to Miami!

Room Tip: We had a room on the garden view side which was cool, spacious and noise free.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
We're very happy that you enjoyed Edgewater and South Beach, Steven. Thank you for choosing us and for the wonderful review. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Miami Beach is not for everyone. It's crowded, noisy and has some of the best human fauna in the planet. In case you are up to some fun in such enviroment, consider staying in some hotel right on Ocean Drive. There are plenty of them, but Edgewater South Beach has some hints of a boutique hotel and a very eficient service. No frills but does the job very well: clean, good size rooms and even a decent complimentary cold breakfest. And, again, you are right on the spot. Even the price is reasonable! Look no longer, go for Edgewater!

Room Tip: Spend a few more bucks and get a room with (parcial) ocean view on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
George_Vesa, General Manager at Edgewater South Beach, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thanks very much for the recommendation, we appreciate your patronage. We are very proud of our team and do focus intensely on service, glad we met your expectations and look forward to exceeding them when we see you next.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Comfortable beach front. All you need is available in the very spacious rooms. It are more or less nice apartments inclusive of cooking equipment etc act. Just in the middle of the action. Nice beach chairs available to go to the beach. Beach within 200 mrs !

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for your comment, Pim. We do stand apart from other hotels in South beach when it comes to our studios and suites, glad you enjoyed yours. The Edgewater team is eager to be at your service again.
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week at the end of a 4 week road trip on the east coast. We had booked a Deluxe Studio, which was a large room with a double bed, and a complete sitting area and a tiny balcony towards the alley at the back of the building. The room had also a fridge and a tiny kitchenette, which we didn't use.

All staff was attentive and service minded, the housekeeping and cleanliness of the hotel impeccable.

Room rates are acceptable and for an additional $18 (per room/night) you get the "spoil me" package (which is mandatory) and includes a continental breakfast (coffee, tea, croissants and bagels, cream cheese, marmalade, juice and fruit) which was very acceptable. They also have a complimentary happy hour on the rooftop terrace with wine, beer, juices and soda.

We enjoyed the happy hour several times during our stay, and it was a nice way to get to chat with fellow guests.

You can also borrow beach chairs, towels and parasols at no extra charge.

Parking is very expensive (but that is to be expected on a beach front property) and is only available as a valet service, unless you want to cruise around and find a spot yourself, my advice: DON'T.

The hotel is located just at the north end of south beach, is walking distance to Lincoln Road, where you'll find plenty of restaurants and beach stores. You can also walk south, you're 10 min away from all the hustle and bustle.

We enjoyed our stay very much and will definetely book this hotel again, when returning to Miami Beach.

Room Tip: Get a room to the back of the hotel, or towards the inner court yard, the view is nothing to write h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
We take great pride in our hotel and the service we provide, thank you for noticing and appreciating our team. We also feel the resort fee is minimal and holds great value considering the perks it provides to our guests.
Thanks for choosing Edgewater, we look forward to your next stay with us!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Great staff very helpful and courteous. Room okay, clean and spacious. Had balcony but only overlooked back yard. Hotel provides free chairs and towels to take to beach which were ideal and saved on expensive beach beds. The beach is one of the nicest I've ever visited but gets full and there are the odd types who insist on playing ghetto blasters. Hotel does a happy hour up on the roof terrace handing out free beers and wine with nuts etc. this was a really nice touch and an opportunity to mingle with all the other guests ( because we all felt happy getting free stuff) or just gaze out over the fabulous views. We would definitely stop here again

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sounds like you really enjoyed what South Beach has to offer, Rachael. Thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. Our happy hour is definitely a good time to mingle with us and other guests.
Please come see us again!

Been to Edgewater South Beach? Share your experiences!