“Good food, overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 909 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Chinese, Sushi, Korean, Asian fusion
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Located at The Catalina Hotel & Beach Club in the heart of South Beach, Serving Asian Fusion, Sushi, Korean BBQ & Thai Cuisine. Featuring a full bar and nightly events including live music & DJ's.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good food, overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

The food I ordered was tasty but not worth what I paid for it. And what is it with the automatic 18% gratuity on everything? Eh. Not cool. I know how to tip, I don't need it done for me.

Visited May 2012

UK
“Hit and Miss - overpriced. Bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

I ate here on the first night I arrived after passing it when I was checking out the area. Plus, I had a coupon from the front desk - $5 off an entrée. I decided to check it out, not much of a saving but it was close and I was in the mood for sushi/Japanese food.

I was seated outside and was enjoying the view. The place was relatively quiet - but it had a few tables. I was seated quickly and my waitress, I found it be abrupt and quiet frankly rude. Like she was in a big rush, wanting to take my order immediately, for me to eat and leave.

I ordered a sushi chef special and I was told this was only a few pieces, so I ordered a starter too.

I ordered the vegetable tempura and when it arrived I was SO disappointed. The batter was as thick as anything, it was like eating just fried batter. Tempura is supposed to be light, but it was so thick I left half of it. Complete waste of money. The tempura here is like chip shop fried fish.

The entrée faired much better and it was delicious - although, what was supposed to be a few pieces, ended up being around 10. Had I known a few pieces meant 10 - I wouldn't have bothered with the tempura.

As you'll read from my review of the hotel, I mentioned that upon paying the check I was told that I could not use the $5 coupon - because it was only valid on hot entrées. Although, this exemption is not mentioned on the coupon itself. So whether I was told the truth or not, I do not know.

The food was good - the tempura wasn't, but the sushi was excellent and more than enough.

I actually dined here twice, the second time was on the day I was leaving. The weather was pretty wet, raining most of the morning/afternoon so I didn't have anywhere to go because the rain was very heavy. I wanted to eat breakfast at the Maxine hotel but they waved me to sit outside to eat - whilst it was pouring down. I was annoyed about this - what with the wind the rain would have just blown all over me and my food. I walked off. The service is so dismal here.

I returned to my room and later came out to get some lunch - having not eaten since the previous night (because they were too busy not doing their jobs that morning in the maxine they waved me away). I decided to visit the Kung Fu Kitchen again, because it was close to the maxine. The rain had subsided. I asked for a table and the hostess, looked confused like she didn't know what day it was as she sat me down. I had initially asked to sit on the outside on the top deck, only to be told it was not ready. So I sat on the lower outside deck, under an umbrella. Only for a group of people to be sat where I had asked to sit, no 60 seconds later when they told me no. Service. Dismal.

I went on to order some food and then it started to spit slightly. As it became to fall heavier I asked the hostess to move me elsewhere - to which she replied - it is only a little rain. I said I didn't care, I was not eating my lunch in the rain. The umbrella didn't cover my back or protect from rain blown by wind - this was something the hostess did not understand. She begrudgingly moved me to the upper deck area.

As I waited for my lunch to arrive, a couple arrived and sat on the next table - they left moments later. This happened a second time - where people just walked off having changed their minds about the place - or were to stupid to realise that a place called Kung Fu Kitchen & Sushi, actually meant that the place served sushi. One couple left saying "this is a sushi place..." well, duh.

I got the same waitress again, much to my discontent. The food was rubbish this time round. I wish I had just ordered the sushi I did the previous night - but I had wanted something different to try. My mistake. I had the pad thai but left most of it. If Five Guys had been closer to the hotel OR I had an umbrella, I would have walked it there.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn
“Terrible, Terrible Service + Average Food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Two friends and I stopped for a bite to eat at Kung Fu Sushi in South Beach. It took at least 15 minutes for us to get a waiter to come and take our food and drink orders--and that was only AFTER we asked the "greeter" whether or not there was a waiter assigned to our table. If we had not asked, I'm not sure when we would have seen Sebastien.

Our food was all brought out at different times so that by the time my entree arrived the first person served had already finished eating... Which makes you feel rushed to finish your own food.

We might have reflected our displeasure in the tip, but gratuity was AUTOMATICALLY added to the bill. So you see Sebastien has no motivation to improve his service.

Eat somewhere else.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
vegas
“best rolls ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

i also ate some of their chinese food they had all of my favorites like honey garlic chicken

Visited February 2012
Ontario, Canada
“Good the first time, not so great the second time!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

The first time was good although I wonder now if it was because we drank a bottle of wine! lol. Stick with the maki rolls and you cant go wrong. The Tempura was soggy for some reason but the chicken wings were good. The second time they were taping a television reality series and the wait was really long, the food wasnt good and the service was slow.
I would not go out of my way again to eat here since they are hit and miss.
There has to be better Japanese food in SOBE.

• Visited March 2012