“beware! please read whole thing.” 1 of 5 stars

Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   940 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #80 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“beware! please read whole thing.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

beware!! please read..

i recently stayed at this hotel the weekend of july 10-14th, 2014, i arrived early and my room was ready, which was great but it was not what i expected. very small room. i asked the supervisor for an upgrade and she gave me one free of charge which was awesome. it had the ocean front view which was beautiful.

let me shorten this whole thing up. friday night me and my friends were at the courtyard, hanging out, i decided to use the bathroom in the lobby around 2am. i went in, and after i left, about 5 minutes later i realized i forgot my room key in the bathroom. i asked the manager on duty to go back into the bathroom, and he kept telling me that it was locked. i told him i left my room key in there but he did not care. i didnt want to argue, so i told him to make me a new one.
me and my cousins went back into the room, around 2:30am, i decided to leave to go find a drink with my cousin. so there was 2 people left in the room, one slept on the couch, and the other on the bed. we came back around 4:30am to the room to only find that the door was open.... everyone was sleeping when we left!!! i woke up my cousins up to ask if they opened the door and they didnt. come to find out, one of their phones was stolen!!!!!!

someone went into the room when they were sleeping and stole a iphone!!! i could go into much detail but im not going to waste my energy.. i called down to the front desk, the jerk from earlier, did not seem to care. i called to make a report with the police, they came down to get my story, then detectives came, and even crime scene...

the hotel told me they couldnt review the cameras, without the dm there. and he wouldnt be coming in until tuesday.. it takes 3 whole days???? and of course, i'm leaving on monday, so he would come on tuesday..

my cousin had to purchase a brand new phone $700 at apple to replace.. the hotel did not care about us, didnt seem bothered at all about the burglary.

and fyi, we seen "housekeeping" cleaning at 3am, saturday night... oh really?!!!

stay away from this hotel. everything about it sucks. food is nasty. free breakfast? of course, cause its just cereal and very limited options..

please please dont give this place anymore business...

i never got refunded my money for my stay, nor did i ever get a call back from them in regards to the viewing of the cameras from the night of the incident...

hate this place.. made me lose trust, and i was worried for my life the whole entire trip. had to sleep with the chair wedged in the door. worst feeling ever!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Chauncey C, General Manager at Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
I was very disappointed to read your account of your visit with us here. To say that is not the typical experience here is an understatement. I and the team are truly sorry that was your experience and you left with that memory and feeling. I did look into the issue with your phone along with the detective assigned to the case. Perusal of the video did not show anyone other than the occupants entering or leaving your room. As to the rest, I can only hope that you would contact me on your next visit to South Beach so I can organize a wonderful visit for you.

Chauncey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
North Plainfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

The overall hotel is nice. The rooms were very nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable. Customer service from Natalie and Pablo were great. The food here was just ok. My french toast was a little hard. They do offer complimentary breakfast, they had eggs, cereal, bagels and fruit. My room was located on PH level that's where the roof deck is located, it was not inviting at all. All the chair covers were too dirty to sit on but the view was great. The best thing about this hotel is that it's in the heart of everything. The beach is right across the street and they give you beach towels and water to take with you if needed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Chauncey C, General Manager at Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
We were happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. It was wonderful having you here! Natalie, Pablo and the team look forward to you visiting with us again soon!
Bronx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I would like to thank the proprietors of the Breakwater for a lovely time. My room was on the Penthouse Floor and I must say the room was great. The design of the room was really nice. I liked how the bathroom was treated as separate room with a beautiful sliding glass door. I definitely would love to have one of this type of bathroom in my own home. The room was nice and quiet. Bed was extremely comfortable and the workers were fantastic. Shoutout to Stanley and Nicole and other staffers. They made me feel at home. Everytime I come to South Beach, I have a greater time than the last. This hotel in my view topped the Beacon Hotel which is a few blocks before this hotel. I like that you had IMAC workstations in the lobby. Very cosmopolitan. Keep up the good work at this hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel. My room was originally slated for Courtyard, but the Penthouse is even better. Thank you for treating me and my girlfriend so well. I love that you had newspapers and brochures in the lobby for visitors and you gave free water and beach towels. Breakfast was good as well. Love Ya!!!

Professor T-Love, Internet Radio Broadcaster
A Bowl of Soul A Mixed Stew of Soul Music
www.prn.fm @ 6pm EST
Live365.com, http://tinyurl.com/9f9807

Room Tip: Choose the Penthouse nice and quiet with a private balcony area and jacuzzi
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
It was great having you here visiting with us! Thank you for your kind comments and observations about our fun, non-stop hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to having you here with us again soon!

Chauney
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Breakwater hotel. I've been to Miami 7x since 2004 and this hotel was the best of them all, thus far. It is centrally located right on Ocean Dr between 9th and 10th st. Giving you easy access to the Hot Spots like Cleavlanders, Wet Willys, Fat Tuesdays etc. The Beach is right across the street, literally.

Inside the hotel, our room was nice, nice pillow top bed, complimentary water, coffee and tea. 50" flat screen. Huge full length mirror, 2 side end tables and a nice large desk. the bathroom is nice as well. Love the shower, but I was traveling with my husband, had I been traveling with my girlfriends, theres no privacy in the shower because its a clear glass stall with no curtain.

The hotel complimentary breakfast is decent. We stayed for 4 days so after the 2nd day we were looking for something different because the menu is just about the same daily (eggs, hash, sausage, french toast, bagel, croissant, cereal, coffee, juice).

Theres a nice roof top terrace that my husband and I relaxed on for about 2 hours straight. There's a long slender pool and many other amenities for one to take advantage of such as 3 apple computers in the lobby, free bike rental, gym.

Overall I really enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: If you don't plan on doing anything more in your room then sleep and get dressed, save a few dol...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
It was wonderful to have you and your husband visiting with us! Thank you for your comments and observations about our fun, active hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to having you here with us again soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

It was an overall great experience! The hotel was very nice. However, know that they will hold a $100 deposit for every night you stay that will be given back after you check-out if nothing was damaged in the room and there is a $24 fee for everyday you stay. I was surprised with all the hidden fees when I got there. Also, the only bad thing about my stay there was that we had to wait about 3 hours for our fresh towels to come to the room.. and we had just come from the beach. Imagine that wait! I called them 3 times and even offered to come get them myself but they said that there is only one housekeeper there. Other than that little mishap, we had a great stay and it is in the middle of everything on South Beach!

Room Tip: Ask them if they are assigning you a noisy room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and observations! Your feedback is very valuable to us and we endeavor to always provide a fun, active experience for our guests here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. We look forward to your next visit with us soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

First of all wanna give a shout out to my girl Natalie for looking out for me. She's the best!! I will totally recommend this hotel to everyone. The location is everything plus more!! At night they have a club right by the pool which is super cool!! And the view from my room (ph12) was awesome!!!! Best to believe I will be back!! Love, Cicily Sparks

Room Tip: Ask for the ph rooms they are the best!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
We are so happy you loved the hotel, because we loved having you here with us! Thank you for your kind comments about our non-stop hotel here in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive. Natalie and the team look forward to having you here visiting with us again soon!

Bolingbrook, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Natalie was extremely helpful before, during and after our stay. Anytime I had a question or was unsure, she was there ready and willing to help. Such a pleasant and beautiful person. When I do come back to Miami to visit, I will be sure to stay here and I hope that Natalie will be here to assist.
Pablo was very helpful as well. He made sure we were comfortable and whenever we seen him he greeted us with a smile. We felt protected and secure with his assistance. Great guy! Thankful for these two. Made our vacation feel like home and we will never forget. XO

Room Tip: Our room was on the 2nd floor in the corner and the view was beautiful. Amazing palm trees covered o...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
So nice to hear you enjoyed your visit with us! Natalie, Pablo and the team here at our hotel in the heart of South Beach's Ocean Drive loved having you here and look forward to you visiting with us again soon!

Chauncey

Been to Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach? Share your experiences!