“Horrible customer service and even worst housekeeping!” 2 of 5 stars

You added Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach to your Saves list
Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   940 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #79 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Horrible customer service and even worst housekeeping!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

We arrived from our flight at 7:30am and were forced to sit, sleep and wait in the lounge AND dinning area until 3:30pm! When a room was finally made available, the room had a used condom wrapper in the ccorner of the bed, mold in the shower, and broken A/C. The room was 80 degrees for the 1st hour we were in the room! The service and cleanliness were horrible!

• Stayed January 2014
Chauncey C, General Manager at Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
First, I am very disappointed to hear about the inconveniences you experienced while visiting with us! Please accept my apology! I know when you were with us that a very large group arrived at 730am, when our guaranteed check in time is 4pm. Many guests had to wait in our lobbies and lounges while our in-house guests checked out (check out wasn't until 11am and several left later than that) and rooms were prepared by our staff knowing many people were waiting to get to their rooms. Still, there is no excuse for finding the conditions you mention in the room. Thank you for your observations as they will serve as a focus for ever improving the comfort of our guests. Please contact me directly on your next visit with us so we can enjoy our fun, energetic location properly as our guest.

Chauncey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
Columbia, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

I prepaid my rooms on Hotel.com, called the day of arrival to confirm of late arrival, as yet when I arrived at 11 PM, there is no room for me and my daughter, excuse was the A/C in the room does not work and we had to be moved to other hotels!! I insisted to be on Ocean Drive, they put me to Edgewater, 4 blocks away, and I have to walk, dragging my luggages with a security man escorted to Edgewater..I was so upset as I did call in the morning, I was promised to an upgrade the next day which I had..I was on the penthouse level. The room as a balcony, no ocean view, The hallway carpet is old and needs to be replaced. The room is new with modern decor, adequate space with good bedding. The bathroom is modern with rain shower. I have to call maintenance to fix the sliding door as the stopper is not properly adjusted and I mashed my knuckles agains the wall as I try to close it. There is no hot water and the handheld spray shower is leaking ...breakfast is included with eggs, bacons, mini croissants, bagels, etc..It has a restaurant but we did not try. The hotel charge 22 dollar per day on top of the prepaid charges by Hotels.com. It has bike that you can check out free for 2 hrs...I give three stars as the staffs are good, very helprhul, especiall the young man at the front desk, named Darion, he knows that we were upset, so he tried hard to please us ..Would I stay there again? Yes, the location is good, but quite loud if your room is not located at a right floor, We were on the PH floor, so it is fine for us..
I highly recommend that the carpets in the hallways to be replaced, and the extra charges should be told in advance at checkin.

Room Tip: Penthouse level is better
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
MiamiSunManagement, General Manager at Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback. First please accept my personal apology for your being displaced to another hotel due to our air conditioning issue. I am happy to hear you did return to enjoy the hotel. Thank you for your observations and suggestions. I welcome them and will include them in our ongoing improvement efforts. We look forward to your next visit with us very soon!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach
The hotel is in the middle of the beach and awesome. However the hotel manager and the valet manager both only had nice things to say. No actions. Both my girlfriend and I had bites starting out first day and largely covering out bodies the 4th. My rental car which I trusted to the valet, was not only dented (filed an incident report) but on our 3rd night had over 20 miles put on the car. The valet garage was .5 miles from the hotel.. Both ways..

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for your inconveniences while you were visiting with us. I will share your observations and suggestions with the everyone and make sure we improve in these areas in our efforts to provide you and the rest of our guests with a wonderful South Beach experience. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

At first we loved the location of the Hotel Breakwater, which is right in the centre of Ocean Drive; the hotel is authentic Art Deco and we were delighted when reception upgraded our stay to a corner balcony with ocean view. That was until the DJ started at 4pm, right below our window. Because the bar next door is located in a courtyard the music echoed up into our room and was actually louder than when you passed by the bar on the street. We didnt mind during the day, but as I'm pregnant and couldnt drink, we knew we had a long night ahead of us. We used ear plugs to try and block out the noise, but as the room was vibrating, it was of little use. My husband felt ill during the night, because of the vibrations and he is a musician! As the hotel was full, we didn't complain as we knew there was nowhere to move us to, but we would not choose the hotel again, unless we ourselves were planning to be out until 5am, which is when the music next door eventually stopped. There were issues with the room key system - nobody's worked, not in the lift or on the doors and we had to constantly go down to reception to get new keys which still did not work. They really need to sort this basic system / requirement out. Breakfast wasn't great, but was free. Porter was super friendly and very helpful. We liked our room and our view was great. If you are looking for a party spot, this is great, but if you need some sleep, don't stay here!

Room Tip: Ask to be in a quiet room if at all possible
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
First, congratulations on your expecting! It is a blessing. Thank you for sharing your observations about your visit with us. I apologize for the difficulty you had resting. As you noted, our location is in the midst of the very busy and active South Beach Ocean Drive scene. It is very lively and entertaining, but also quite active until late. We are looking at some steps we can take to minimize the ambient noise from the activity and I will keep your feedback in mind as we do so. We look forward to your next visit to the area and to see you here with your new addition to celebrate.

West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

I was a little dubious about this hotel after reading all the reviews. My husband can't tolerate loud music. It was a good deal through Hotwire and we loved what it had to offer barring the club scene. We had a lovely stay at this hotel. The staff was courteous. Our room was clean. Towels for the beach and the pool. Yes it was noisy and hard to sleep, wish I has known about the free ear plugs at the front desk. I had to improvise with tissue paper and burying my head in the pillow.
We were in the middle if the Art Deco area with all the neon lights at night. Quite the experience. Don't fall for the $45 giant cocktails, we got 2 for 15 at Legends down the road! Very expensive but come off Ocean Dr and there are nice cheaper eats.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
It was wonderful to have you here visiting with us! We are right in the middle of things on Ocean Drive and it can be a bit noisy with all the music, activity and entertainment! Thank you for your observations which can guide us as we are always seeking to make the experience for our guests more enjoyable. We look forward to having you back with us in the near future.

Tehran, Iran
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is good.view is excellent.but the elevator is not perfect .the internet was very good but sometimes was reconnected .and a lot of nose at night.it was terrible. At the first night we can't sleep at all.Breakfast was good .but water not hut for tea.also the milk was cold.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your observations about your visit with us. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our central locations, ocean views and active ambience. Being in the middle of all the music and entertainment on Ocean Drive in South Beach can be a bit noisy at times. We are always seeking ways for our guests to enjoy their visits with us more. I appreciate your feedback and the chance to serve you again in the near future.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed at the hotel this last weekend and we liked it very much. The main asset of the hotel is its location. In general, we were also pleased with the room, which was clean, updated and inviting. There is definitely a good amount of noise that comes from the downstairs club/restaurant, but otherwise, it had everything we could expect from a four star hotel. In particular, we appreciated the helpfulness and friendliness of Natalie, at the front desk. She happily dispensed helpful tips and recommendations. She was the best face of the hotel. We would certainly stay there again. Thanks, we enjoyed it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Michel H,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us here at Esplendor Breakwater. I will pass along your comments to Natalie and do hope you'll return to see us soon!

Been to Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach? Share your experiences!