“Right in the middle of the action.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach to your Saves list
Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   940 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #80 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Right in the middle of the action.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed on a Thursday night. Hotel breakwater is right in the middle of south beach action. If you would like a quiet room, we stayed in 306 and it was very quiet. The staff was pleasant and helpful. We enjoy the bikes and complementary drinks on the roof top lounge.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in twice at the Breakwater. It is definitely in the middle of the buzz and in fact we ask to change the first room we had given because it is impossible to sleep (before 2 in the morning!). Saying this the bedrooms are really good (as the suites) and the bathroom very good. You get that boutique feeling, unfortunately I do think that the entrance lack any kind of attractiveness: more like a train station! But overall we will choose again the hotel. Staff at the reception are really helpful.

• Stayed February 2013
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

What everyone else says, basically, but here's my version of it: hotel has good location for walking to dinner and beach. Decor is nothing special but clean and "modern" in a basic way. Noise is incredibly loud, like the band was literally playing a floor below my room and it was like I was living through a concert soundcheck until midnight. I moved hotels the next night but this was alright, I guess, as a one night stopover while I got my bearings. This hotel is probably best for people who plan to be out partying all day and just want to catch some sleep after 1 AM (but not after 10 AM which is when the music starts up again).

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The front staff at this hotel will do anything for you, for that they get a 5. The noise and general upkeep of the hotel is a 3. We were looking for a quiet vacation from our busy lives at home but that was not the case here, music blares till 4am and the street gets cleaned every morning at about 7am. The pool and terrace has nothing, no bar, no food, nothing, so you have to find your own food and drinks. Bikes were nice and we used them a lot and the staff were great, the whole hotel needs a bit of a clean up though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at The Breakwater hotel on Feb 3rd 2013. I searched high and low for a hotel on south beach. The price was reasonable for the area. The staff was very professional and polite. The room was just like the picture on the website. Love the shower! They have an outdoor restaurant. The beach is directly across the street the hotel provides a chair and towel. I love this hotel and I will stay there again when visiting south beach. When it comes to hotels I am kind of a snob I usually stay at hiltons or double trees this hotel was nice. They have free internet. I cant comment enough on the staff dont remember the girls name who checked me in but she was totally awesome and should get some type of recognition. So if the manager wants to email me I will give u my name so she can receive sum kind of recognition! Everyone was very polite I stayed here after a cruise and trust and believe I will stay again! Great job to everyone at the hotel---

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Buenos, Aires
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I decided to book a night at the Breakwater after reading an article about it recent renovation and went with the VIP penthouse package. I was willing to spend around 500 dollars for a room, so I thought "wow, 500 dollars for the penthouse in a hotel?" this is worth checking out, especially after reading good things about its recent renovation.

Well, to my disappointment, the penthouse rooms are just like any other hotel room I have stayed in, probably smaller and not that clean. I could of seriously been staying in a holiday inn in Iowa that has some trendy design elements. The only thing that makes it a "penthouse" is the fact that it has a private deck with a Jacuzzi. Well, I wouldn't call this private as people can walk by and look into the deck area and Jacuzzi. And get ready to hear this: Around 9 o clock at night we were watching tv in our room and I heard some noise outside. I opened the drapes and there was a couple drinking wine in our Jacuzzi!!! Yes, you heard that right. I was nice and kindly explained that the Jacuzzi was private and they were very apologetic, but this just explains the kind of privacy that doesn't exist. Also, the room is very exposed, we needed to shut the drapes fully to have any privacy. If you are looking for a private experience with your girlfriend with the Jacuzzi, I wouldn't recommend this. But I guess it could be fun if you had a group of friends.

Some bullet pointed antidotes:

- From the penthouses you don't really have any "stunning ocean view." The view is pretty uneventful.

- When we first arrived, my wife went to take a shower, there was no hot water. We called and a technician came fast enough and fixed it.

- Noise level is what you would expect for a hotel on Ocean's drive in the middle of South Beach. If you don't like noise, you should stay on Ocean's Drive at all in any hotel.

- The hotel room just didn't feel "clean". I don't know why, maybe because the hotel is old?

- The Beach chairs on the "private" deck were very dirty.

- When we first arrived we overheard another guest complaining. They had been given the wrong room key and walked into a room that was already occupied!! Lets just say they were not pleased.

- Over all I would say the staff is very friendly and you can tell they are trying their best to do well.

- The hotel is cool enough besides the room. There is a happening restaurant and bar, and the location is perfect if you want to be in the heart of Miami Beach.

I don't know about the other rooms, but overall the Penthouses are way over marketed and over priced. On the website they make them look like you will be living like a king. The rooms are seriously just normal, unremarkable rooms but a deck that is dirty and in no way private. Interestingly I am looking on their website right now and it looks like they changed the name of the "penthouses" to "roof-top suites".

Overall the staff seems to be trying hard. I just think the website oversells what the hotel is all about. Good marketing.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have a "penthouse" room on the Fourth floor. There are only four floors. Our room is a courtesy arrangement by Hotel Ocean who despite confirmation and voucher didn't have a room for us. These hotels are squeezed into blocks of charming art deco buildings on Ocean Drive. The room was pleasant. It's size testimony to pricey real estate and the age of the building. At nearly midnight we're trying to decide if we want to venture out to buy earplugs. Earlier after returning from a day out (we were in Miami for the boat show) my husband realized mid-shower that the only towels in the bathroom were hand towels. The cleaning staff took the towels and didn't replace them. After two phone calls and about 45 minutes a sullen staff person rapped on our door and gave me the towels. The trash can in the bedroom had not been emptied. Breakfast was horrible...poached eggs that were undercooked, enormous sausage links, someone's idea of an American breakfast. The food is not wonderful. Miami Beach is not the United States; it's the United Nations. I advise as in another review here that you take earplugs...noise-canceling ones. This neighborhood is a boisterous one. This hotel is expensive and is not a good value for the price. Too bad because it's such a cute hotel. Valet and front desk personnel are extremely gracious. This hotel and any others on this street that don't provide enough high floors to avoid the street noise for a night's rest should be avoided.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear 4429,

Thank you for choosing our Hotel Breakwater as your choice of destination in the ever multicultural and diverse Miami Beach. We have read your review and sincerely apologize for our shortcomings. Our Hotel prides itself in having the highest standards of cleanliness as do our housekeeping staff. Per the previous reviews, one can see that our Hotel works hard to maintain a top level of consistency of cleanliness and service. Please contact us at info@breakwatersouthbeach.com should you wish to discuss our service standards and assist you in your future visit to Miami Beach.

Been to Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach? Share your experiences!