“Rude staff, not trustworthy!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
25% off room rate
Ranked #73 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
London, Kentucky
“Rude staff, not trustworthy!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed in 2 penthouses, locked valuables in safe, went to dinner, got sick that night & next morning left & forgot valuables. When we called to tell them they totally ignored our pleas to check the safe, would not return phone calls, finally told us the things in safe were not there. What good is a safe if they go into it & take your things??? Would NEVER stay here or recommend anyone to do so either. It was a scam at my expense! We also ordered 2 drinks at the bar for a mere $42, what a rip-off!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

768 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night after taking a cruise. From the cruise port the taxi was about $30. The hotel is right across the road from the beach and right in the heart of south beach. The hotel is actually quite nice. The rooms are furnished nicely and are very modern. There is free wi-fi and also free local and international calls included as well. I was initially assigned I believe room 215 which is right next to the elevator. If you are a light sleeper I highly recommend against this room as you will hear and feel the elevator vibrate every time it's in use. Eventually, we got moved to another room after complaining to the front desk staff about the room. It took quite the effort to get us moved but eventually we got a room on the other side which had much better sound proofing. If you're planning on going partying all night then the noise around the area won't be an issue. If you normally go to bed early and want a good nights sleep I would suggest you not stay at one of the hotels on ocean drive because the music goes on till quite late.

There is a nice small pool overlooking the beach. It's a nice place to chill out for the day if you don't want to go to the beach. This is where I have my second complaint. They ran out of towels at the pool which is normally no big deal. I had asked one of the staff if they could get more towels. We waited and waited and then asked another person who said they would be on their way and still no one. We waited some more and then I walked down to reception about it and again they said they will send someone. At this point it's been a good 45 minutes and then someone else walked by and I asked again and finally got this last person to bring some towels. For a hotel trying to market themselves as a 4-5 star boutique hotel they need to make sure their service levels are more consistent and polished. If you're going to say you're sending someone send someone!

This hotel has the hard specs of being a great hotel... if I didn't have all these service issues I would have given them a 4/5.

Room Tip: avoid any of the rooms right next to the elevator
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

After the storm Sandy my wife and I fly to Miami and stayed in this beutifull hotel,
the concierge the front desk personal the management Jaime were very professional
we have a wonderfull dinner in the nine 9 restaurant, hotel have their own beach space with chairs and service, I would stay again we coming back soon.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
new york city / new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Been a visitor to South Beach multiple times but this was the first time here. We stayed here for our vacation late october to early november for 4 nights and 5 days. Loved the room decor, and yes there was definitely noise, but nothing not out of the ordinary for south beach. Me and the boyfriend loved the location and the free amenities such as the free beach chairs, towels, bikes, etc. This hotel exceeded our expectations...comfiest beds ever, awesome shower, and what topped it off was Elvin, one of the receptionist late night, saw us coming home late/early morning (6am). We had a conversation saying that we would be checking out in the morning (11am) and were exhausted. He was kind of enough to offer us later check in (12pm) since we were so obviously tired. We were sooo happy! Although it was just an hour it was definitely needed and helpful.

I would say the only cons were that during our stay the free wifi wasn't always working and when our fire alarm battery died. What made the battery change upsetting was that when we returned it was obvious that maintenance was watching TV in our room since we turned off everything before we left. Kind of made us feel uncomfortable knowing that. Also They do come in before bedtime to turn down your bed and play creepy bird peaceful sounds..I guess some like that but it was weird knowing the staff came in and out so often.

Besides that The Breakwater was a great hotel and loved it. Me and the boyfriend will definitely be back and that is a first for us to want to return to a South Beach boutique hotel.

Thanks!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dearborn, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Visit MIA a lot and this was my first time staying here. Very nice. would stay again. Got a great rate. Hotel clean, room clean, bathroom updated and nice. Overall it was a good stay for me. Right in the middle of everything. Hotel provided beach chairs across the way which was a plus. Staff was nice. Very pleased

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Bratislava, Slovakia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I want to give many, many thanks to the staff of Breakwater Hotel, where we spent very pleasure time during our business trip in Miami Beach. We are not so young and we attended medical conference in Miami Beach Conventional Centre.Even with so many young people around, the hotel had been important for our enjoyment time at Miami. In particular, the kindness of reception clerks (f.e.Natasha) was exceptional. So I want recomended Breakwater Hotel to the people, which are seeking after vacantion or event business time at Miami Beach. Dr.Jozef Pacak and colleagues, Slovakia.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise but I was satisfice whith room 227 and 226.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My one night stay in a beachfront suite was simply wonderful. Beautiful furnishings, comfy bed, fantastic views, great service and most of all the best location. Thank you to all the staff for making my stay so lovely...I slept like a log :-) Great Wifi too that stretches to the beach

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach? Share your experiences!