“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #81 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Breakwater for our weekend getaway to Miami, It was an amazing experience overall. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the hotel was very clean and the location was perfect. The staff made us feel comfortable and at home. Our room was very modern it felt as if we were at a condo back home. We initially were looking for an affordable place to stay, we got that plus more! :) I highly recommend choosing this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear Deborah R,

Thank you for choosing The Breakwater Hotel! We are so happy you have enjoyed your stay with us and made you feel at so close at home. Please do not hesitate to contact us so that we can have another opportunitiy to give the great service that is expected from us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Breakwater South Beach in July 2011. It was of first visit to Miami, so we didn't know what to expect. Before booking at Hotel Breakwater, we did a lot of research. Even though, at the time of our visit, the renovations weren't complete, we still decided to stay there. Nothing beats the location. Beautiful views of the beach (which is only a minute walk away), fabulous restaurants and shopping just steps away, across from Lummus Park...what more could you ask for?

Having stayed there, I now know what to expect for next time. I read peoples reviews, complaining about the loud music. It's South beach, what do you expect? If you're looking for a quiet, relaxing vacation go elsewhere. South Beach is upbeat and fun and Hotel Breakwater is set right in the middle of all the action.

My only complaint about the hotel was our view. We were in the back, facing a really old dirty building...but that's no reason to give this hotel anything but a 5 star rating! I would most definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

My boyfriend and I have already booked our next visit. We'll be back at Hotel Breakwater July 29, 2012 for a full week! This time we booked an ocean front room. Hopefully this visit is just as great as the last!

See you soon Hotel Breakwater!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Franca227,

We appreciate your positive review about our Hotel! Please contact us at info@breakwater.com so that we can better assist you with your future visit. As always we look forward to see you and can not wait to have you back in our Hotel!
brooklyn, new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

i stayed here 8 years ago on my very first visit to south beach and omg what a dive. no hot water no lights no nothing. only the view made it worth it...that and we didn't know any better. we shoulda checked out right then and there. so we was happy to see it closed and even happier to see it reopened to its current glory!! i haven't stayed yet but my review...no my comment is just to say that i'm sooooooo happy that jesus took the wheel and helped bring breakwater is back better than ever cause 8yrs ago it was terrible. gonna make a reservation very soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself is nicely renovated and the rooms are well decorated and clean. However, it is sandwiched between Mangos (tacky slutty tourist trap) and The Clevelander (same description applies as Mangos). Also if you still go and get a room facing the pool ask to move immediately! They play LOUD music until 4:30am on the weekends and the speakers are only 20ft from your window after we complained several times they moved us to the back and upgraded is to a penthouse witha king bed. However even that wasn't safe from the riffraff as at 1:30am and again 4:00 a bunch of people cam paradin down the hall yellin and being loud. Overall I would pay more to stay somewhere with a better location.

• Stayed June 2012
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear cprince21,

Thank you for the review. Our location is close by to the most popular clubs and restaurants on Ocean Drive and due to that a lively atmosphere is very common. Should you decide in a future stay, please give us the opportunity to suggest to you a quieter room. We do have options that may be to your liking, should you need further information please contact us at info@breakwatersouthbeach.com.
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

Wow! Let us say this was one of our best anniversary celebrations! The reservations were made on May 28th with priceline vacations ! I called the hotel to make sure we would be able to check in after 10pm on May 29th "Serge" assured me everything would be fine and that she would be there on Tuesday! I told her we are celebrating our 30th Anniversary! I then called on Tuesday to find out about NBA playoff tickets and I got to speak with Nathan who promised he would call back in 30 minutes with some news! Sure enough he called backed within 30 minutes! We never got to meet Nathan while we were at the hotel but I want him to know we thank him for his service to us!
When we arrived to the hotel we were greeted with a beautiful smile by Serge who informed us they had upgraded us to an oceanfront room, we told her on Friday our plane would not leave until 9:00 PM, she put our check out time for 2:00 pm at no charge and, when we got to our beautiful room 317 a Champagne bottle on ice was waiting for us! Thank you Serge for your service! Our room was wonderful, bed was great, every night we had fresh clean towels (twice a day) and, bed pulled down (soothing music playing on ipod base)! We had use of bikes, Ipad,beach towels, beach chairs (just give name to the hut attendance on beach and sign for use), free wireless internet and great little exercise room ! There is a $15 a day resort fee but, considering you don't have to rent bikes it's worth it! If you want an umbrella it is $15 and a cabana bed is $50 a day ! The Concierge's were all great but, special shout out to Karina who gave us VIP passes to Mango (no line standing), Bamboo and other clubs. She was great we thank her for her service! As far as the prices for eating out we did great a lot of daily specials Breakfast $4.95 and up (enough for us) Happy Hour starts at 12:00 PM here and specials were $5.95 and up (again enough for us) Supper is usually around 6:00 pm until and specials were $8.95 and up! CJ Crab Shack blackened Grouper was awesome! We also found some sushi on Washington 2 blocks from Ocean Dr. Drinks are high $15.00 and up but we are not big drinkers so maybe this is cheap! Oh how can I am forget the live bands at Breakwater Tuesday night Reggae superb, On Thursday, oh my I forgot their name but, they are there every Thursday an awesome band! They did Neyo song "Closer" to honor our 30th Anniversary!
Now if you don't like to hear music you might not like staying here but, trust me this is an incredible hotel! We will recommend this hotel to our friends!
We know with all of our trips if you treat people who are serving you with respect they will return it to you!
Thank you Hotel Breakwater Staff for making our 30th Anniversary so wonderful!
Yes this is a great location too!

Room Tip: 317 gave you beach front and view of pool! Loved hearing the live band while getting dress to come t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear anniv25,

Thank you so much for your review! We are so glad and happy that you have enjoyed your stay at Breakwater during your 30th year anniversary. We will make sure that we'll pass along your wishes to the members of our staff whom are willing to always take care of our guests as needed. We are also happy that you enjoyed seeing the basketball game whilst here! We thank you and can not wait to celebrate your future anniversaries with us.
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights with 3 families. Staff was exceptional. Service was prompt. They accommodated for our kids. All reviews about noise are true but it's not their fault. If you want to be in the middle of everything you got to be prepared for the noise. Definitely would stay again

Room Tip: Ask for penthouse or any corner room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Dear Al V,

Thank you for your nice review! Breakwater is great for families who want to enjoy a laid back and luxurious atmosphere. We are centrally located so we are very accessible to every entertainment venue and restaurants around the beach. Please contact us should you need any further assistance in your future reservations.
FL/ GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I was initially booked for Hotel Ocean (we'll get back to that but you probably know what's to come). Four days before check-in I spoke with Jocelyn (? spelling) on the phone and was advised to cancel my current reservation and reserve another in order to get a cheaper price ($50 less a night) the hotel was advertising on THEIR website hotelocean.com. I was told they did not honor their website prices via phone. I was told to cancel my current reservation by phone and make it quick to reserve the same availale room at the "NEW" price online. A little suspicious from prior reviews I only reserved for one night instead of the two I had prior. After about 3 minutes at the most after I cancelled my reservation, I called back stating that I reserved the room (a two bedroom suite) that was posted for less. Low and behold that ROOM along with the one I JUST cancelled was no longer available. Suprise, suprise, suprise! I was told that the website is not updated as soon as rooms are booked via phone or whatever. Granted I was upset about the situation, but ecstatic about only getting the room for one night and having the option to go to another hotel the next day. I finally get down Saturday and just as I thought we were moved to HOTEL BREAKWATER. As the receptionist was opening his mouth to say that we were being UPGRADED I finished his sentence for him stating...to the Hotel Breakwater. Upset that I knew this was going to happen, from the reviews, along with being in traffic for 2-3 hours to get here from 5th street here I am UPSET again. After I was given the address and was told I had to park in a garage on 13th street didn't make things any better. As we were walking to the car in the back alley I spoke with two waiters and asked if Hotel Breakwater was indeed an upgrade, in which they only had positive things to say and that we should consider ourselves lucky. We parked in the garage and walked from 13th street to 9th street with all of our luggage. We finally get to the hotel and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I was greeted with curtiousy as my reservation was being pulled. Everything went well and off to the room we go. The room was located on the opposite side of the building so we had to walk again. We had to use our room key to get to the penthouse suite and once we got inside the room it was great! It was three of us so we had plenty of room. There was a king sized bed, a sofa bed and since the weather was great that weekend, there was also a queen sleeper outside on the roof by the jacuzzi. We didn't mind the music (which we couldn't hear in our suite) until 5am, but who sleeps in South Beach during Memorial Weekend. The location of the hotel was great as it sat right across the street from The Clevelander and only a couple of blocks from Wet Willie's. If I do decide to come back to South Beach for Memorial Weekend next year, I most definitely will be staying at the Hotel Breakwater. The pool deck is directly over the dance floor and has a glass wall. I can see why the "upgrade" was given since there were only guests 65 and over staying at Hotel Ocean and the music was a little more settle than the hip hop music being played at Breakwater. By the way, the receptionist SURGE WAS AWESOME!!! She definitely put my mind to rest and let me enjoy the weekend. (And from an earlier review, no they will not refund your money if you decide that you want to leave early from a reservation)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
MiamiSunManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Dear Atl_Fll_Traveler,

Thank you for posting such a great review about our Hotel! We are glad you were able to enjoy our luxurious VIP Penthouse upgrade and its surrounding views. Yes, location they say is everything and because of that our Hotel is ideally located within proximity to all the entertainment venues surrounding Miami Beach. We hope you have enjoyed your Memorial weekend with us and can not wait to see you here next year at your new home away from home.

Been to Esplendor Hotel Breakwater South Beach? Share your experiences!