“Usability Fail” 2 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
El Paso, Texas, United States
“Usability Fail”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

It's honestly not that bad but there's little things that start to annoy you after a day or two....

THE GOOD

• Cheap rate
• Super close to the beach, can't beat that
• Good "party" hotel if you wanna party. There may even be a rooftop party one of the nights you stay there
• Decent restaurant downstairs for breakfast
• Cool orange room when you enter
• Staff is nice
• Walking distance to lots of good food and shopping

THE BAD

The hotel rooms fail miserably in terms of usability.

• There are no light switches. Everything is controlled by a couple panels of completely random buttons with icons that make no sense and that have no "On/Off" states. For example, if you want to turn on the desk light, you have to look at the icons of about 6 different buttons and decide which icon means "desk". None of the icons make any sense whatsoever so don't even both trying to memorize them. Leaving the hotel room is equally annoying if you're trying to shut off all the lights since the button does not tell you whether a light is on or off. So you essentially just have to start mashing them all until all the various lights in the hotel turn off.

• The shower light is so dim and blue that you can't see anything while showering. Also, brilliant move on using the exact same bottle color for conditioner and lotion. Since the light is so dim, you can't even read the bottles. I ended up putting lotion on my head. AWESOME.

• The elevators are slow as hell

• There's an outdoor parking lot up the street with a couple guys you can haggle with. Be expecting to pay South Beach prices. $30/day or something... so don't forget to add that to your budget. The hotel also charge some BS fee as well at the end of your stay. $20/day for "staying with us" fee

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to offer my apologies that you encountered so many challenges during your stay that left you with a negative impression of our hotel. It is unfortunate that several unrelated issues came together to make such an impact on your enjoyment and relaxation.

Here at Dream, we fully understand that the design and layout of elements in our hotel and guest rooms may not be for everyone, especially those who are expecting a typical hotel experience. We take pride in providing a unique, fresh, and delightfully unexpected experience, and from the multitude of rave reviews we have received so far, we are confident that we are doing just that.

Hopefully you will consider staying with us again in the future, and our friendly staff can give you a quick and easy tutorial on the light panel controls and ensure that you have a wonderful and relaxing stay!

Thank you for your business, and take care!

John Walbridge - Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Miami, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

In April I stayed at dream for 3 nights. This was the second stay there. The first stay was not bad, thus the decision to stay a second time. This time was not all that great. When I arrived I had to wait for the valet to take my car. He took care of 2 other people before attending to me.

When I got to my room, a few of the channels weren't working and when I called down to inquire it took a while to get a response back.

I called to order an iron and ironing board and it took over 1 hour. I had to call down a second time for them to bring up the iron.

The final straw was when I went to breakfast on the morning that I was checking out and it took forever to get my breakfast. There were guests that came after me and received their food and finished eating before me. I had to ask the waiter for water. And my eggs did not come out as ordered.

Room service was very good. They came very quickly. Actually faster than it took for them to deliver the iron. And most of the other times valet wasn't bad. On checkout they did have my car ready and waiting before I finished the checkout process.

The rooms in Dream Hotel are very nice, but also very small. The pictures really don't show the true size of the room. And the doors seem to be very thin. You can hear everything in the hallway. The blackout shades are great though. You can sleep until 12 and not realize if it wasn't for the noise outside the room.

They also need to get another elevator. Waiting 8 minutes for an elevator is a bit ridiculous considering the elevator isn't that big.

I'm not sure if I will stay there again. The manager did try to fix some of the problems, especially after the breakfast ordeal, but initially he made us feel as though he didn't believe what we were saying.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay, and taking the time to share your feedback. I would like to offer my apologies on the several small issues that you experienced during your stay. We take great pride in providing outstanding service, so it is distressing for us to hear that we failed to meet your expectations of promptness and responsiveness.

I hope that you will consider us again for your next trip to South Beach, and I am fully confident in our ability to restore your faith in us and to provide you a wonderful experience. Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope to welcome you back again soon. Take care!

John Walbridge - Front Office Manager
20886
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is by far one of the best hotels in Miami. Although a bit pricey it is definitely worth it. Itt is walking distance to the beach, and the rooftop pool is amazing. The rooms are quite exquisite. We got a standard room and it was big enough for two people with our suitcases. The shower and bathrooms doors are very cool and we had no issues figuring out the lights and the rooms were very clean. The first night our AC broke and they moved us to another room and gave us a $50 dinner credit to the restaurant. The first day at the beach we went around 3pm and they had ran out of towels so I would say go to the beach before 12pm. Other than that, I had an amazing time and I really loved this hotel. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Very nice! Thank you so much for choosing to stay at Dream and allowing us to take care of you! I am sorry that you had a little trouble with the AC, but it's nice to hear that we were able to accommodate you quickly and easily in another room so that your relaxation and enjoyment was not interrupted. All of us here are so happy to read that you had such an amazing time, and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon for another awesome stay. Until then, take care!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Hotel was conveniently located, modern contemporary design, good value and very clean.
Problem is very small rooftop pool, the beach did not have towels for us so make sure you take some. The hotel charges for this daily but the company that works for them did not have enough to offer us.
Umbrellas by the beach are additional cost as well!! The elevator is very slow to move. The crowd at the hotel is alright.

• Stayed April 2013
DreamSouthBeach, Front Office Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you very much for your recent stay, and for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am sorry that you experienced some challenges with regards to the rooftop and the beach services, but it sounds like a had a pleasant stay. Thank you for choosing Dream, and we hope to see you again soon!
Kilcoole, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This was our second time at Dream, we have stayed in NYC for a week before and loved its cool art deco design! So when coming to Miami it was a must for us! We arrived early on Easter sunday, prepared to wait for our room, but no they had one ready, so that was great! The room design was cool, true to its pictures on the website! I found the rooms to be of a good size, great use of space and a place to store everything! The pool was fabalous, the pool attendant, I cant of course remember her name was excellent, friendly efficient and a master at manning the loungers as they are always in high demand and limited! Food poolside was also excellent. About an hour after check in, the hotel delivered bottle of prosecco with a personalised card from the team to congratulate us on our honeymoon, thanks so much it was a lovely treat! It is a little noisy, and we had an issue with ac that was frustarting to resolve, but I have to say these are minor issues and would not bother us!
Many thanks to you all at Dream Miami for a great stay!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are so happy to read that you had such a great stay! It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and provide a super relaxing time here in South Beach. Great job on taking advantage of our beautiful rooftop pool - it is seriously the best way to enjoy yourself in the sun. We look forward to seeing you again for your next trip to Miami, so until then, take care!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed at dream for quick getaway!!! Loved the room... Hotel was clean...staff helpful and friendly...and perfect location!!!!! Greeted outside by a bellhop who catered to our needs...ate at Seraphina while we awaited our room... Hit the strip for tons of fun!

Room Tip: standard room was awesome
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Short and sweet! Thank you so much for your great review! All of us here at Dream look forward to welcoming you back for another awesome stay. See you next time!
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here for 4 nights earlier this month, and they were great in checking us in super early (6am).

Location can not be faulted, short walk to the beach, and short walk to main shops and restaurants.

Hotel interior, pool, restaurants is great, as is the decor and modern art deco touches in the rooms.

If I were to fault something it would be the size of the rooms - well used space but just not much of it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your business and taking the time to share your comments! We are so pleased that we were able to accommodate you and ensure that you had a lovely time. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon, so until then, take care!

Been to Dream South Beach? Share your experiences!