“Welcome to Collins Ave ....” 4 of 5 stars

Plan Ahead, Save 10%
Ranked #46 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Northants
“Welcome to Collins Ave ....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

On arrival the hotel looked in very nice order having recently been refurbished throughout, but Hey! this is Collins Ave - now you have to start paying.
Firstly, if you arrive in your own car valet parking is available at some ridiculous cost - half a block south there is a multi-storey park - go there. After all the pleasantries we booked in and was handed a sheet of paper to sign, which I duly read. It amounted to me agreeing to pay $7.99 pp per day just to have WiFi, pool towels and pool seats. When I questioned it I was told it was obligatory so I promptly told the young man that I would go to Starbucks for my WiFi, I wouldn't sit down at the pool and would walk back to my room soaking wet and I will certainly not pay any surcharge. This was obviously a new experience for this young man who conceded and told me I would not have to pay - so be warned.
Also be aware that most rooms do not have a view; the first room I was given the window looked out over a laundry affair; I refused this room and was given one on the front which was much better although it had traffic noise. Now to the room. Throughout the hotel the refurbishment was excellent. Our room had a very comfortable bed, an excellent shower and toilet facility. However, the configuration of shower meant that if someone came to the door whilst you were in the shower you were there for all to see.
I'm always concerned when I see the term "Boutique" hotel as in my opinion it means it was designed by someone who has never stayed in a hotel or by a "Vogue" room designer. There was no space or shelves to put anything. The wardrobe was tiny and had about 6 hangers let alone where you store suitcases and the room had the same fittings as a Indian group hotel.
Having said all that the room and bed was spotlessly clean and comfortable. Do keep an eye on the fridge stock as our cleaner helped herself and I was expected to pay but as a renowned traveller I never ever ever touch expensive hotel minibars so I am afraid she picked the wrong room for that.
As for the rest of the hotel it was excellent having a beautiful small pool and seats on the roof top run by a couple of lovely girls. The restaurant food was good and competitively priced for Collins Ave but the breakfast was hit and miss as to what was on the menu and what the kitchen decided you were going to have, although I have to say we got on great with the breakfast staff who treated us very well.
The hotel was situated very well for the beach and restaurants, a short walk would take you to a street which was full of eateries and you would be spoilt for choice.
Overall, the Dream hotel was a nice place to be if you have to go to South Beach. Me - I've done that now and would not return to the area for I felt that if you sneezed you would end up paying for it. As for the hotel I would recommend the Dream providing you are aware of the add ons which I have mentioned.
I'm English and won't tolerate such underhand payments and am quite verbal telling someone so.
If you must see South Beach stay at Fort Lauderdale and rent a car - its much more cost effective and a very pleasant area.
We are a couple in our early 60s, very experienced travellers.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
DreamSouthBeach, General Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for posting your review and your thoughts about South Beach and Collins avenue. While the destination might not be for everyone, we believe it to be a tropical paradise and appreciate the charm of South Beach. The Dream package that you mention is for your WiFi which is a $9.95 per day value as well as 2 beach chairs that sell for $15 each. Many guests appreciate the convenience of these amenities for $8.99 per day.

I am happy to know that you did enjoy your stay with us and despite your preference for Fort Lauderdale, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Peggy Benua, General Manager

1,302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Let me just say that this hotel is really cool! My wife and I stay here a night on our 2 Year anniversary. We were upgraded to the Presidential Suite which was unbelievable! This room had every amenity possible. 2 -70' inch flats, and even a TV located in the mirror of the bathroom as well. Let me say that the decor was stellar, I felt like we were staying in a place where a MTV music video was shot. We had access to our own Private Roof Top deck with full bar and private access to the pool. This hotel and its staff were super accommodating and happy to showcase their property! Food could be ordered to your room or poolside from the Tudor house restaurant next door. Tudor house, Geoffrey Zakarian (iron chef) production a is a remarkable restaurant with superior tastes in delicious cuisine.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
DreamSouthBeach, General Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hello Josh,

What a happy occasion to be upgraded to the VIP suite. Yes, it does happen to a lucky few when the hotel is sold out. Glad you enjoyed your experience at Dream South Beach!

We agree that the Tudor Restaurant was awesome, but they have moved on to other opportunities. Please join us at the newly opened Serafina Dream South Beach Restaurant. As in the Serafina Restaurants in New York, including our Dream Hotel in mid-town, Serafina specializes in signature Northern Italian cuisine fused with an energetic atmosphere. Based on an authentic approach to cooking that uses only the highest quality ingredients, Serafina's fare originates from family recipes passed down from generation to generation. Along with pastas, salads, seafood and fine meats, the pizzas are to die for. I hope you will come back and try it soon.

Peggy Benua
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed at the Dream during two weeknights for a business trip. The hotel is great. The rooftop area with pool is awesome. The room was very nice, and the bed was comfortable. At check in, I was given a choice of several rooms. I think the hotel has prime location. It is close enough to to the beach to be walking on sand after a 1-2 minute walk, but far enough off Ocean Drive to not have the noise. The reason I gave the hotel 4/5 is the lighting in the room. I really liked the lighting for atmosphere, but there was no way to make the room bright. Also, the bathroom being all glass would make it less than ideal if you require privacy. I am not sure if this was just my room, or if all of them are this way.
Altogether, this hotel was great. The staff are friendly and helpful, the location is ideal, and the rooftop bar and pool area were awesome.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your review and we appreciate your glowing comments about our location, rooftop pool, restaurant and staff. I agree that these elements are what make us special.

The sexy atmospheric lighting, design details and modern room layout may not suit those who favor a more traditional hotel room experience. But, many of our guests do appreciate these unique features which set us apart from many other hotels in South Beach.

I hope you will return to Dream South Beach soon.

Peggy Benua, General Manager
Saint James, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Nice little hotel with a great location and a wonderful pool area on the roof. The lighting and the room were a bit odd. The door to the toilet was clear glass and offered a less than optimal privacy. We had a really nice stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
DreamSouthBeach, General Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Todd, Thank you for posting your review and we appreciate your comments. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The "Dream" was wonderful ---- believe all the positive comments made from previous reviewers. Service is outstanding --- from the friendly manner of reception and the welcome drink to the graciousness of the concierge offering a late checkout on his own initiative when he found out we had a late afternoon flight. The "light designer" used to develop the rooms deserves an "Oscar" --- just beautiful. The hotel's name is quite appropriate given that the room's design and bed and bedding provides a womb-like atmosphere quite conducive to sleep---both my wife and I had the best nights sleep in years. The room is relatively small, but space is very efficiently used and it contains all expected amenities. The roof-top pool is attractive and a great place to lounge. Again, service there is outstanding ---- staff goes out of the way to make you comfortable. As noted by others the location is excellent, and our experience with the new restaurant for breakfast was quite pleasant.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for an awesome review. Our goal is to make every guest feel like a VIP and if there is anything we can do to make your stay better, please let us know.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Dream South Beach.
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We traveled to SOBE from the west coast for our 11 year anniversary. I booked this hotel based on TA reviews and stayed one night. We have been to SOBE many times so I knew the location of the hotel was excellent. We arrived early (noon) but they had a room ready for us. The people at the front desk were so nice!! We had room 264 and when we walked into the room we were amazed how nice it was, exactly like the pics. The shower bathroom area was so modern, we loved it, i now want blue glass doors in my bathroom. The rooftop bar/pool area was beautiful. I had ordered the romance package and the champagne and strawberries were delicious. I also loved that when we dragged ourselves away from the rooftop and headed to the beach around 3pm they had chairs there waiting for us. Overall, amazing hotel amazing service and I highly recommend it. I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
DreamSouthBeach, General Manager at Dream South Beach, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for your review and congratulations on your 11th anniversary. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the Dream South Beach Romance Package. Many couples take advantage of this package which includes Perrier Jouet champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and continental breakfast for 2. These offerings, along with the atmospheric mood lighting and comfy king sizes beds, help set the scene for romance. We look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate your 12th!
Oulu, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

So, we stayed in this hotel for three nights based on the recommendation and comments on this site. Location was excellent, just on block away from Ocean Dr, and the cleanliness and quality of the place was excellent. On the other hand the room was "interesting", but we were prepared to that after reading some of the comments from here. We had room 115 (deluxe room, their lowest class) right next to reception and while it was actually very quiet (and we are light sleepers) it was also very very small. I could actually almost use word claustrophobic here (see picture), since it was were narrow, there was only one window in the room which was small, behind the bed and when unshaded had a ground level view to dark courtyard. However, we were prepared for even that and as a place to sleep it was very good. :-) Some other people have been commenting about the glass walls/doors on both the shower and toilet, and yes they sure are made from glass, and require some getting used to. There is a door between shower and toilet area and room proper which can be closed though. Not recommended for very shy people anyway! Rooftop bar and pool was great!

Biggest gripes I have for the hotel are:
1) Almost no storage place! As with almost all design hotels there are no closets for clothes, and since we were going for a cruise we had two suitcases with us and when room was so small there wasn't even space to keep them open in a corner. (Our cabin in the ship was actually bigger with more storage space!)
2) Considering the size of the rooms price seemed to be bit excessive.

Summary: Good and comfortable hotel in excellent location with "interesting" rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your review. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and the location of the hotel in the heart of South Beach close to the beach, nightlife, sites and shopping. Being a historic Art Deco hotel does mean that space is at a premium, but also that not all of the rooms are exactly the same. For the future, please let us know if you will be traveling with exceptionally large luggage so we can try to reserve one of our rooms with a few extra feet of square footage. We always strive to accommodate guests requests whenever possible and advance notice is always appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Been to Dream South Beach? Share your experiences!