“My first boutique hotel experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Prime Hotel

Save Saved
You added Prime Hotel to your Saves list
Prime Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   100 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (South Pointe)   |
Ranked #107 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Metuchen, New Jersey, United States
“My first boutique hotel experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

This is the first time I have ever stayed at a boutique hotel and my first impression was not the greatest. When I arrived at the hotel it was dinner time and I soon discovered there is no lobby or real front desk to this place. The bottom floor of the hotel is a restaurant where they have a desk at which you can check-in. I was a little taken back by this because I had been traveling for hours and when I walked into this very crowded restaurant to check-in with my big suitcase it was a bit awkward. I can handle crowds and deal with chaos- I work in New York City so I know what it's like but this was just not my style. I am used to staying in a place that you clearly know is a hotel and when you walk in you know where to go.

Aside from my initial check-in experience the staff seemed very friendly and nice but often times when you went down to the "front desk" during the morning/day it was difficult to get someone to help. For breakfast they have a sister restaurant to Prime around the corner called Big Pink's. My boyfriend and I ate there three mornings in a row for breakfast, it was great! When we did speak to the girl at the front desk she suggested Big Pink's. When the front desk staff was there they were very nice.

The room itself was clean- a bit small compared to hotel rooms I am used to. The bed was very nice and super comfortable and the bathroom was very modern and cool but the anti-fog mirrors were not very anti-fog and the lighting was weird. The TV and stereo system were a pain to work though. We would try and turn the stereo off and lose sound on the TV, it was just a nightmare. We are also both pretty tech savvy but still had trouble with this. The sound on the TV would also randomly cut out. Also our floor had some sort of weird film on it that I did not like to be barefoot on and the closet mirror was very filthy.

Overall I feel like this hotel was just kind of annoying. I would stay here again only because aside from the filthy mirror it was clean and that is a number one priority for me when it comes to hotel stays.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
NY/NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

I took a shot on this hotel after reading mixed reviews but the price was right and the location is excellent. A must if you are staying here is to get a room on the street side towards the front of the hotel. Otherwise, you will be smelling pizza or whatever they were cooking next door.

If you get over the fact you must enter the hotel through the restaurant entrance, you will most likely be pleased with this place. I was there for business during the busiest time of year - Spring Break and the music festival. Regardless, I often found that I was able to relax at the pool alone.

Let's break down the positives:

-great location South of Fifth, near good restaurants, clubs, etc
-modern rooms, comfortable beds
-nice, but small pool area for rehabilitating from night before
-reasonable prices

Negatives

-It's a boutique hotel, so during the day, service is limited
-I could never get the iPod doc to work and neither could the front desk. They did send a replacement. When I moved to another room, same problem. The doc was broken.
-They consistently took too long to bring my car up from valet

Overall, I would stay here again and actually look forward to returning. The price, location, modern rooms, and chic character are all you need when having a great time in South Beach.

Also, I ate at both Prime 112 and Prime Italian - they are pretty good restaurants and worth trying.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I didn't expect to be in such a hot spot when choosing a hotel booking online! This hotel is a 'hidden gem' located on the 2nd through 4th floors of the famous Prime 112 restaurant. We had a great amount of privacy and were extremely happy with the trendy, bright, and sunny rooms.

The entertainment system was a little tricky, but a very sweet front desk girl informed me they are planning a great new simpler upgrade! We're looking forward to this for our next trip. We will definitely be staying there again! The roof top pool was amazing with the candles lit at night. Very calming. We were able to look down from the roof top at all the VIP restaurant patrons arriving in their fancy cars!

The ONLY downfall was having to wait half an hour for our table at Prime 112, but the charisma of the hotel staff made up for this 100%!

Room Tip: I was informed that the Balcony Suites are a great room to book and all get great sunshine.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

My boyfriend and I selected Prime Hotel when we visited South Beach for the Rock n Roll Half Marathon. This hotel was a good choice for us - we enjoyed the modern amenities, and the convenient location right on the race course, walking distance to the start/finish area. We had a room on the third floor in the front corner (no balcony), and although we were there on a Saturday night, we did not find it to be too noisy - hurricane proof glass keeps out most noise. Other reviewers have mentioned the odd configuration of walking through the restaurant to reach the elevator - I will say yes, this was a bit odd, but by no means should it be a factor in your decision to stay! (unless you love to hang around in a hotel lobby, then this isn't the place for you!) If I return to south beach and the Prime offers a good rate, I would definitely consider staying again, however, this hotel is a good walk from the "heart" of the South Beach action. Also, some of the front desk staff was EXTREMELY kind and helpful, other members were about average (or below). Depending on the hotel's ability to provide consistent, good service and maintain the nice, new design, this hotel could easily pop up to a 5 or down to a 3. Oh yeah - the cookies were delicious and much appreciated, as was the free wi-fi!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Guangzhou, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

Prime Hotel of Miami Beach is a bustling place. It boasts some very fine restaurants which draw large and beautiful crowds in the weekends. Upstairs from the main restaurant are the rooms (although there is one room in a neighboring house) and they are - like the restaurants - of high quality. Modern, sleek, elegant. Altogether 17 rooms, so it is definitely a boutique hotel.
I stayed for one night and really enjoyed the atmosphere and the quality feel. Had a couple of beers in the bar, enjoyed the crowd. Besides the staff was great all through the night. The room was really comfortable, although its location was less than spectacular (facing a side street where you got the impression there would soon be a contruction site), The fact that the remote control of the TV either did not work or was too complicated for someone like me was of minor concern to me.
However, some irritation ensued on the following morning. Breakfast turned out not to be available in the hotel, despite the website suggesting that food would be easily available at most times. What is more, the guy manning the reception that morning had none of the good qualities of his colleagues of the previous night. I tried to call reception from the room, only to find the line engaged. When I finally walked down he did not even acknowledge my presence, just kept on talking on the phone, in what seemed to me a pretty unimportant matter. There was no one else around, or at least not in the public area. In the end I found someone in the kitchen (!) who informed me that there was no breakfast serving in the hotel. Insted they recommended I walk two blocks to a nearby cafe and buy my breakfast there.
I survived but with some frustration accumulated.
When I checked out a couple of hours later the reception was again manned by friendly and efficient people.
Would I stay there again? Given an acceptable price, yes. But the irritations will linger in my memory.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I was booked into the Hilton Bentley Hotel Southbeach tonight. When I arrived, I was informed by the front desk that, due to a problem with my room, it was unavailable for occupancy and unfortunately the hotel was sold out for the night. I was walked to the Prime Hotel, directly across the street on Ocean Drive.

This was an unexpected good surprise. The Prime is a well appointed boutique hotel and home to three rather remarkable, trendy restaurants. While I was eating my dinner at the Prime Italian restaurant, an SUV limo pulled up which was mobbed by papparazi when a major Hollywood star dropped in for a quick meal before a concert.

My room is beautifully decorated. The shower is a multi-head, custom walk-in and the bedding is high thread count comfortable.

When I checked-in, the very friendly, front desk clerk, personally escorted me to my room.

I've settled in for the evening after enjoying a fine risotto dish at the Prime Italian Restaurant.

All-in-all, what could have been a terrible experience turned into a nice surprise.

Room Tip: I was given a nice "corner suite" overlooking Ocean Drive...3rd floor, Room 9.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Fort Myers, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

This new boutique hotel has all of the amenities one could ask for. Our reserved room was not ready on our early arrival so they upgraded us to room #8, wow. This room has a balcony on the east and north sides right on Ocean Drive and next door to Prime 112 Restaurant. Very chic and sophiticated, (TV in the bathroom). We found it to be a great value.

Room Tip: Room #8 is the most requested
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Prime Hotel? Share your experiences!