“Under new management - the old reviews are worthless.” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Santa Barbara South Beach to your Saves list
Santa Barbara South Beach
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   230 20th Street, Miami Beach, FL 33137 (City Center)   |
“Under new management - the old reviews are worthless.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I wasn't expecting much since I know that we paid about 240 for the room for the weekend. I read the reviews and was worried that it was bad. But the person who chose it said no, it's under new management and in the middle of being cleaned up, so I was willing to give it a a shot.

I go to a lot of anime and sci fi conventions, so normally the hotel is just a place to drop your stuff, take a shower, and sleep for about 5 hours. This place was actually pretty great. The rooms are cleaner than in the old pictures, the furniture is new, the mini fridge worked great, the flat screen tv in the room was huge and the bed was really comfortable. There were a few drawbacks, like the building being old so the bathroom was tiny and the stopper in the sink didn't want to lift. There was no phone in the room, so if we wanted the lobby we used our cell phones or ran downstairs. There were no complimentary soaps, but we brought our own. The only major thing wrong with this hotel is parking, which isn't really their fault. The garage across the street costs, and I kid you not, $42 a day. We ended up parking at a garage like 5 streets over from the hotel and leaving it there and walking everywhere we needed to go.

They are currently planning to renovate both that building and the one next to it, so for the management if you're reading this, I would suggest making several levels of the currently closed building into your own parking garage. Maybe making a walkway from the one to the other, and doing a deal on pricing for parking with the other hotels in your neighborhood that are not $500 a night.

Terrence and Gio, if you're reading this, the both of you were extremely helpful and good customer service gets gets my return business more than fancy rooms, any day. Thank you both so much for making our stay and our last day as awesome as it was - you each know what you did.

Management, when you renovate, if you keep the prices similar to what we paid this weekend, and the customer service is always this great, I don't care what you end up doing - you'll get me and all of my friends every year. And that will probably mean a full hotel - I've got a lot of friends in the convention scene.

In short, yes, it's an old building, but the reviews past 3 months ago are no longer valid - this place is much much better than it was and it's going to be improving even more within the last year.

• Stayed July 2014

10 people have reviewed this hotel

St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I just stayed here this weekend, the total charge for this room was $270 for a night, its not worth more than $27!!!! There are roaches all over the place, do not turn of the light because when you turn them on army of roaches are running around trying to hide. The window blinds were broken or missing, so they made their own custom blinds by hanging sheets of TOILET PAPER!!! This room did not have an iron, but it had a board, so when I went to ask for the iron the receptionist said that all rooms with irons are sold out, whatttt????? I've stayed in many hotels around the world but nothing as horrible as this. You are better off sleeping in your car than in this place! Do not fall for it like I did.... Their pictures lie!!!

Stayed February 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

So where do I start. We get there Thursday morning around 5 am with no issues. I go down stairs to put my food in their front office fridge bc the one in our private room didn't work. When I get down stairs the heavy set lady tells me I owe her more money after she said checking in wasn't an issue. Okay so my kids father say lets check out find some where nicer without $52 a day parking. Long story short we were ripped off when it came to a refund plus the room was very nasty. We had to wait 4 hours for the daytime manager to come. His name was Terrence Cooper and if it wasn't for him my graduation weekend would have sucked. Out of $301 we only received $160. I would advise anyone to look hard when it comes to booking these rooms. We ended up at the DaysInss North Beach Oceanfront and it was beautiful. The beach was literally in our back yard. I hated the experience at Santa Barbara but the only great asset that hotel has is the manager by the name of Terrence Cooper. This happened recently in the past 3 days and we were from Charlotte so driving 12 hours and be homeless for 4 hours without sleep was agonizing. Please please beware. If I would have listened to these reviews our trip would have been a lot smoother. Terrence if you ever see this, I want you to know that you're a great man and your blessings are coming and bc of you I was able to walk across Kaplans' graduation stage.

• Stayed February 2014
Harriman, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

Although the staff were quite professional considering the barrage of complaints they received, I couldn't help but noticed the embrassment that showed on their face each time I walked into the reservation office...... Each time I walked into my room (110) it made me sick to my stomach. My final night did not come quick enough, so instead of sleeping, I stayed up all night waiting for my transportation back to the airport.... What made matter's worst before I could unpack my items, my husband insisted that I keep my suit case outside just in case I brought back any unwanted miamian bugs. I would have dealt with the loud nightclub more instead of roaches......

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to Santa Barbara South Beach? Share your experiences!