“Comfortable, low-key and excellent location” 4 of 5 stars

Townhouse Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 20th Street, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #92 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Muskegon, Michigan
“Comfortable, low-key and excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is a non-pretentious, low-key yet great place to stay and enjoy Miami South Beach. With a minimalist style in red and white (that fits the personal taste of my husband and I) it has an enviable location in South Beach. It is located just a few minutes away from a beautiful beach (which does not get as crowded as the beaches that follow) and one-block away from the 150 route of the Miami airport flyer, and walking distance from Lincoln road, Lincoln mall and Española Way.
The continental breakfast was good enough for us, it's included in the room rate. Hard-boiled eggs (protein), juice, good coffee, bread and pastries with cream cheese, honey and marmelade, cereal and milk. Mostly important, the employee kept an eye on everything and the coffee pots, juice, bread, milk, etc. was never empty. She also kept the place clean so new patrons could have their breakfast. Very efficient hard-working people.
The same can be said about the people cleaning the rooms and hallways: efficient and friendly. The only thing is that we wouldn't always get our full sets of towels/wash clothes, until we realized that probably they were running out of them. The hotel was full, especially with guests from overseas.
The hotel has a fantastic rooftop/penthouse that we visited every night. It was kept dark but it was nice to just sit down. Another guest told us that the rooftop used to have a bar and even music to dance, but it was no longer the case (too bad, but we wonder how they managed the noise).
Our room was in the first floor, and we saw outside our window the AC equipment. We were afraid that the noise would keep us up and consider asking for another room. However, they must use some noise cancellation system because no noise bothered us at all, and this included the young crowd that would be in the street (from other hotel's night club) who were obnoxious (but the noise didn't make it to our room). We learned about the young crowd because one Sat night we came back around 2:30 am. and youngsters were occupying the hotel entrance/porch (they were NOT staying in the hotel, they were coming in our out of the night club in the hotel across the street). They were loud and disrespectful to the friend who drove us back (they were actually using the hotel parking area and the porch and steps, and they wouldn't move). My husband said something to them and they shut up. It would be good for the Townhouse hotel to reclaim its space: why would anyone who is not staying at the hotel (regardless of age) is using the hotel's facilities and parking area and exposes the hotel's patrons to noise and disrespect? Perhaps it was only our tough luck that night.
Other than this, of course we'll come back and recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: The Miami airport flyer has 2 stops just one block away from the hotel and it only costs $2.35/perso...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

- Front desk staff were friendly and helpful (apart from one guy who didn't seem to speak any english..). They helped us carry our cases up the stairs to the lobby. The breakfast is complimentary - bread, bagels, fruit, boiled egg and pastries. There is a room with tea and coffee and water open 24 hours a day too.

- The hotel is a couple of minutes from the beach and you can hire sunbeds from the hotel itself (though we got a cheaper deal buying directly from the guy on the beach) and the hotel provide free beach towels.

- The rooms are big and airy, very simply decorated and kept clean. There is an iron, a safe and big television.

- Location is a 20 minute walk from the main hub of south beach which is fine during the day but might be difficult at night in heels. It is much quieter than being right on south beach would be. It was helpful being able to get away from the crowds.

- Only negative comments I have are that the shower wasn't very powerful and it was noisy early in the morning on the first floor. There is a bigger hotel very close which has music playing most of the day which could be heard from our room on the first floor. The back of this hotel was very close to our room and we could hear garbage and delivery trucks arriving and leaving early in the morning which was very noisy.
If you'll be out most of the day and then exhausted at night then this wouldn't be an issue. Otherwise ask for a room on the other side of the hotel to the elevator.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the hotel away from the elevator
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reston, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I had a good three night stay at this place during one of the busiest times of the south beach. The interiors are intentionally modest and soft in appearance, I am guessing they don't believe in unnecessary show of opulence. Its at a 2 minutes walk from the beach and all the other attractions in the area are closeby. Lincoln street (great food) is 10 minutes walk and so is the famous Mansion (nightclub). The only grievance I have with the place is that they don't have a pool although they have tried to make it up to their guests by providing a great terrace.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Townhouse with my husband during one of the craziest weeks in Miami Beach - Miami Swim Week. I was on the go a lot, but the Townhouse proved to be the perfect place to call home base. The staff was so kind from the second they carried by bags in, through check in, and carrying the bags to our room. I love the decor of the bathroom particularly - the all glass showers give a modern and clean look. There are windows everywhere which leaves your room flooding with Miami sunshine... amazing! The breakfast (free) is self serve in the lobby and guests are all downstairs eating, its a very social but laid back setting. It was raining the first night, so we spent time on the front porch watching the storm and sipping wine... relaxing and it reminded me of being at home! Also my husband had to work some so the free wi-fi was a plus for him.

I will definitely be coming back to the Townhouse--the rooms are incredibly affordable and you are smack in the middle of so many shops, night clubs, restaurants, and attractions. I didn't get to spend time on the rooftop as I was so busy.. but I hope to go back soon and fix that!

Room Tip: If available, so for one of the suites! You get a private balcony, which is great for overlooking Mi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I surprised my husband with a trip for our anniversary and stayed at Townhouse for 1 night. This place is a joke. The TV never worked and during the night I woke up to a sound of water in the bathroom. I got up to check it and the roof was poring water out of it. In the morning I told the front desk and they were very rude about it. They sent maintenance in to fix it and they stole my camera. When we checked out they were very rude when I asked if they had fixed the leak. We were on a cruise so I couldn't contact them till we returned about my camera. I called in Saturday and by Tuesday I was calling back to find out about my carmera. Once again very rude and of course no one had turned it in and they refused to check their security cameras. The camera stolen was a $600 camera! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I am somewhat surprised by all the excellent/5-star reviews on this site about this hotel. There are undoubtedly several good things going for it (see below), but ultimately the hotel fails in two key aspects:
(1) it was extremely noisy and I found it impossible to get a good night's sleep or an afternoon kip there: the noise was coming from outside all through the night (street noise, nearby music, deliveries) and from the hotel (I could hear EVERY step from upstairs. I was on the 3rd floor (out of 4).
(2) the location is great for the beach (5 min walk away), but not for the shops, restaurants, etc. If that is a concern, bear in mind you will need a few taxis given the heat.

For me, these two drawbacks are major ones for a hotel in what-should-had-been a relaxing destination. On the plus side:

-the hotel was much cheaper than anything else of similar standard that i could find on the Beach. In hindsight, I would have paid extra to go somewhere else
-staff was super helpful
-they don't try to make money off you at every opportunity: wi-fi and 24-hour coffee are free and there is a decent cold breakfast included in the price. They also provide towels for the beach (and I believe bikes for riding around town, but i didn't use them so can't tell for sure). I should say that $34 for valet parking (only choice) seemed a lot when there was a public parking nearby.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Pesaro, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Veramente una bella esperienza.
Struttura piacevole a due passi dalla splendida spiaggia e accanto alla via principale, la sera piena di mivida.
Camera carinissima e veramente pulita, doccia splendida.
Ottima la colazione.
Unico neo: il valet parking (non ci sono parcheggi in zona) a 34$ al giorno.

A really good experience.
Nice texture to two steps from the beach and next to the main street in the evening full of mivida.
Cute room and really clean, great shower.
Excellent breakfast.
The only drawback: the valet parking (there is no parking in the area) to 34 $ per day.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Townhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!