“nice location average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Townhouse Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   150 20th Street, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #92 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Amsterdam
“nice location average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed for two nights in April 2013 The staff is ok but a bit more interested would not hurt .
The positive thing is the location. It is right next to the beach and close to all shops and restaurants . The room we first got offered was on the backside of the hotel this is a noisy envrionment due to a food factory right next to the hotel. We than moved to room 108 and this was fine. Rooms are sensitive to noise but it did not disturb us. These night club complaints we did not get . Valet parking yeah expensive but parking is an issue in this area.
The breakfast is ok for me ! it was nice and friendly . The only small thing is the price for two beds and an umbrella for the beahc which is quite a bit. Internet is excellent .

Room Tip: book on the front of the building
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Polish first
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Townhouse is a good option for the first time in miami for a couple. I carefully choose the location as we handed the hire car back after driving from Orlando to key west to miami. I definitely choose the most luxury location possible. Townhouse sits next to the most expensive hotels in SoBe creating a luxury surrounding at a significantly cheaper price. We had cocktails and food at the shore club next door. We partied at baoli, the mynt club and SLS across the road. We also went to LIV on friday which was good too. All the hotels and bars are full of the rich/wanabees and the good looking so expect a big check. Fortunately for us, on two occasions we were approached by promoters that let us in for free past the line and gave us a table with a bottle of goose! Although I thought some places were trying to copy off ibiza clubs, miami is defiantly cool by American standards. Lincoln mall is a few blocks down which is more commercial but still carrying a price tag.

As for the hotel, it nearly met my expectations. When I booked the hotel I thought the rooftop was impressive and it claimed to have parties at night from Thursday but every time I went up I was the only one there - day and night. I don't know if this is something they only do at peak season but they didn't mention anything about it when we checked in. We ended up just strolling over the road to the beach which was ideal. Townhouse did provide Sunbeds at an expensive rate which I thought was cheeky as the other hotels don't charge but I guess that's why the other hotels charge $500 a night. You get what you pay for in miami.

Fortunately, I like minimalist so the rest of the hotel was nice and the rooms were just what we needed. The staff were lovely and all very helpful and eager to ask if I needed anything. The breakfast was also minimalist but I'm not a big eater so it was fine with me. They provide coffee 24/7 which was perfect.

One thing that was really annoying - the cleaner accidentally threw away a present for my mum from Disney for Mother's Day. It was on the bed side table in a Disney plastic bag. If it was trash I would have put it in the trash myself or somewhere really obvious that it was trash, like the floor. Townhouse apologized and refunded $20 although it wasn't the money I was bothered about. It would cost a lot more and a lot more time to go back to Disney Orlando and buy it again. I was just relieved they had a safe in the room and I used it.

Even after a few issues, if I was to come to miami again I would 100% stay at townhouse if I was on a budget. But after seeing the hotels next door I would save and go all out. Before coming to miami a few people warned me of its tackiness and nicknamed it 'mean miami' but staying at townhouse and the surroundings has given me the opposite opinion. Maybe they stayed in a different area??!

Loved it!!

• Stayed April 2013
natalie k, Manager at Townhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hi there,

Thank you for the lovely comments about the Townhouse.
Your opinions are very important to us as we strive to meet the needs of our guests.

Wharton, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My husband and I just spend 6 days at the hotel for mi b-day, it was nice !!!!! close to the beach ,shops ,restaurants ,clubs and transportation . we didn't rent a car but the people at the hotel help us to take the bus to little Havana ,suuuperrr !!!.. and we walk to other places in South Beach . It is true about the noise because there is a club next to the hotel , but you can sleep , is not that bad . The only inconvenience I think ... it was that you have to pay 30 buck for 2 chairs and umbrella at the beach everyday , I think that is expensive, I think they should get their own service and charge half of it .... really good Hotel for and average price ,specially because they serve a simple breakfast , more than enough , I'm happy , I think can easily go back .

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at Townhouse Hotel for 2 nights in March 2013. The location of the hotel is perfect if you want to be close to beach, clubs, restaurants and shops. Although it could a little bit noisy ( It maybe because of all the teenagers spending their spring break in Miami ) the breakfast is ok if you don't expect too much. The staff was kind and helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I am well traveled and have stayed in all types of hotels, so I did not mind the minimal decor. Upon check in I was given room 118. This room is on the second floor and the roof of the first floor surrounds the building. My windows would not lock, which worried me so I asked for a different room. I was given 411, and told there might be a little noise from the air conditioner. I asked the bell boy if the noise I heard was what I would be hearing and he said "yes". The noise I heard was the bass and music coming from Mynt Lounge. It was so loud it shook my windows and kept me up until 5:00am.

I went down the next morning and asked for a different room, and the new guy at the counter knew all about the noise from Mynt. He told me I would need to stay on the front of the building to not hear the nightclub. I was told I would have to check out of the hotel by 12, and recheck back in after 3. I did this and got room 217, which was better as it was closer to the front. I could still hear the club, but I was able to sleep.

Now to the parking, I knew about the $34 a day valet, and I was fine with that. At checkout, I told the guy at the counter that I would be back at 3pm to get my car. He said "no Problem". Upon returning at 3pm, I was told that since I did not get it by 2pm, I owed another $12. I paid it just to get out, and it took over 20 minutes to get my car.

Townhouse ruined a birthday weekend with friends....

Room Tip: Stay on the front side of the building. The noise from Mynt Lounge shakes the windows on the back s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
natalie k, Manager at Townhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear keith,

I am very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at the Townhouse.
We are located in the heart of South Beach and sometimes the festivities can be an inconvenience to certain guests.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We (a family with a 2 years old son) stayed at the Townhouse Hotel from March 26 to 28, 2013. At first sight, the hotel is nice and quite well located. However, very loud music from some clubs in the vicinity caused the walls of our room to vibrate at night! The really big problems came with the disorganization and a very bad, murky management (for two examples, please read below). In short, we recommend to avoid the Townhouse Hotel, if you do not want to have to deal with this hotel's shady management. There are better options to stay in Miami Beach. At least places whose staff you can trust.

Examples:
- After leaving the car with the valet parking service upon arrival, at check out they were not able to find the car and we had to wait about 40 minutes for it. (Bear in mind that the hotel has no parking and the valet parking service charges 34 USD per night).

- The worst came some days later. After leaving the hotel, we realized that we had left a purse with an iPhone inside in the wardrobe of our room. Somebody of the hotel staff left us a voicemail saying that they found those items in the room. Very surprisingly, the items had disappeared when we wanted to pick them up.
You would expect a reasonable hotel management to report the loss or theft of items pertaining to hotel clients to the police. When the management of the Townhouse Hotel at first did not know that its staff had left a voicemail message with us, they just lied and tried to make us believe that there had been a confusion with items found in another room.
When we confronted them with the fact, that we actually got a voicemail of the hotel staff that reported exactly about the items we left in the room, the managements explanations for the loss of our items became more and more adventurous.

Room Tip: Our room was 415 I we couldn't sleep well due to the noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
natalie k, Manager at Townhouse Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Itziar,

Im sorry if there was a miscommunication and you were inconvenienced in any way during your stay at the Townhouse Hotel.
We hope you will take advantage of the concessions offered to you.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A friend and I decided to stay here while we were in Miami and we both agreed that it was a pretty good hotel! The location is perfect. It's located in the nicer part of South Beach and tucked in a street where you can actually get some peaceful sleep at night. Really close access to the beach as well as the Miami boardwalk if you're looking to go for a morning jog. Plenty of shopping and restaurants to walk to as well as adjacent to some of the best/nicest hotels in Miami.

The staff is very friendly and quick to help. The rooms are what you would expect from a Miami boutique hotel...modern with minimal furniture. The hotel also has a beautiful rooftop deck, free wi-fi internet, as well as free breakfast every morning. Beach towels are also free and they have a special section on the beach if you want to rent out beach chairs.

A really good value for the hotel. If you're looking for a nice place to stay, a great location and good service...definitely check out the Townhouse Hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Townhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!