“Good budget place for Miami Beach” 4 of 5 stars

The New Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   7337 Harding Ave., Miami Beach, FL 33141   |
Ranked #4 of 20 Miami Beach B&B and Inns
New York City
“Good budget place for Miami Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

As long as you're staying here for the right reasons - looking for an economical alternative to the pricier hotels in South Beach - you'll be just fine. We had a ground floor room, nice and clean, no problems with noise, and right around the corner from a Walgreen's with daily Krispy Kreme delivery. An easy walk to the beach was very convenient. Little bit seedy in the general area, but never felt at risk. Obviously you have to drive to get to the heart of South Beach, but that's the trade off.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

153 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Kiev, Ukraine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

First, the good: the staff is super friendly and it's nice to have a fun and unique beer garden and restaurant at your fingertips. The location is also perfect for those who want a quiet Miami Beach experience with plenty of interesting and tasty restaurant options within easy walking distance. The beach one block away is quiet and perfect.

Now the bad. We reserved a particular room that was one of their nicer ones. Upon arrival, we were told that it wasn't available due to an electrical problem and we were offered a lesser room for a price reduction. Not having any alternatives, we accepted. The room we got was pretty sad. Fine in size, but it felt like a slightly upgraded Motel 6. Cheap feeling, average bed, cheap fixtures, with a view to the parking lot. Tiny bathroom, TINY sink. Smaller than anything I've even seen in Europe, and that's saying something. The noise from the downstairs beer garden was pretty heavy too....as was the noise from neighboring rooms. We could literally hear what people were talking about in the room adjacent to our bed. Then we ventured downstairs to the restaurant and got pretty bad service. Drinks took forever to come out, one of the drinks was wrong, and half our order didn't come out at all. When we re-ordered, we were told they were out of the item, plus they were out of other items too. Needless to say, we didn't return for dinner again. It was nice of them to comp our drinks that night, so that's positive I suppose. The atmosphere at the poolside bar is unique and cool, so we did try it for drinks again the next night and it was better. Overall, I wouldn't stay here again. Sorry to the staff of the hotel, who really were very friendly, but they can't cure the bad room experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I had looked up hotels near Miami Beach and found the “New Hotel” listed as one of the top 3 in Miami at a pretty cheap rate. I called and the lady who answered the phone “Anne” was very rude at first stating the price listed online was wrong, in which I stated that if that is price shown online it should be honored she hesitantly said “FINE” and proceeded to take my information. She stopped me halfway and said she couldn’t understand me and that I would have to call back to speak with someone else, I was already annoyed with her attitude and said ok then hung up. After thinking about it: how would the next person know of the ordeal? So I called back and asked Anne how the next person would know to honor that price? She then stated “They will honor whatever priced when you call” I said no that is why I wanted to book now, she then stated “Well our prices just changed.” I asked to speak with someone else when she said SHE was the owner! At this point I was PISSED! First she was rude, then lied and come to find out she is the owner! This is how the owner treats people…wow! I told her I would not stay and would write a very extensive review on Trip Advisor, she then stopped me and said “OK FINE!” I couldn’t believe the attitude I was getting from her but from the looks of the room I really wanted to stay somewhere nice/decent and after reading the reviews it seemed really chic. I’ve stayed at a few hotels in Miami before and yikes they can be gross! So she says let’s start over, she proceeds to take my information but isn’t friendly nor rude more annoyed which I didn’t appreciate. First of all this is not a hotel but rather a bed and breakfast type of hotel [only 5 rooms]. When we arrived [about 2 hours early] she did however let us check in early, about an hour and a half sooner. The location is nice since its really close to the local beach but pretty far from SOBE and the traffic was ridiculous trying to get there. The room was clean and modern but really not much to it, in the hotel photos on their website they show a beautiful room with a beautiful chandler which did not work, there was a sink in the kitchen with only 2 cups for coffee and a mini mini fridge that was barely cool. The bathroom was nice and clean but it took literally 15 min for hot water in the shower. There was a large walk in closet but only 2 tiny shelves, the bed was big and comfy but hubby swore the comforter was not clean. They have a nice bar outside and on our way back in people were still partying well past 3:00 a.m. which didn’t bother us but the very next morning at 8:00 a.m. I was woken by EVERY foot step, chair being scrapped across the floor and tables being pushed back into place. NOT what I wanted to wake up to let alone at 8:00 a.m.! It was an OKAY stay but definitely not for the going rate….

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I'm a travel writer from Australia and put this review in under a different user name which I abandoned. Thought it relevant to put it back in since I have a new account.

I travel about three months a year and have stayed in six star resorts down to family run B&Bs and Inns, but was incredibly surprised at the convenience, value and amenities that The New Hotel has at a great price with familial hosts.

It's a small hotel, only ten rooms but mine was large, light, spotlessly clean, with fast wi-fi, fridge, flat screen with hundreds of channels and a huge tiled bathroom with a large sparkling shower. It's in a transitional neighbourhood as all of Miami seems to be at times and it's just the way SoBe was 15 years ago when I visited then. But best of all, the price for accom, the dazzling array of local, quality and cheap food options plus the free parking make it a must stay.

I'll be coming back here every time I make Miami a destination because it feels like home thanks to Ann and Lou's bighearted welcoming and care throughout my stay

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

the hotel checked most of the boxes i had in mind for a place to stay in miami. Access to a nice beach, close to the center of south beach, but not really in it. Access to South Beach by public transport, nice breakfast places nearby.
The room and the bathroom were well appointed but a little on the smaller side (which may be due to the fact that i chose the most economical option), but if you are not planning on spending a large amount of time in the hotel, it does not matter. Apart from that, every thing that you expect of a hotel (clean towels, beach towels, complimentary internet, free parking in the Walgreen next door, complimentary toiletries (above average quality)).
The staff were helpful and did not let you feel awkward for small requests (serving beer after hours, using the office printer, directions) and it felt good to live in a place where the owner brought their dog (a good natured albeit a bit aloof german shephard) to work :)
A good experience.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Well, you might have realised by now that Tripadvisor has The New Hotel under the Bed & Breakfast and Inns category, not under hotels.
If it doesn't do breakfast, it's not a hotel to me. If it doesn't have a lobby, it kind of doesn't feel much like a hotel either.

Then, if they make you feel unwelcome when you arrive, it's not a guesthouse.

Pros: good, recently done up, contemporary room (equipped with a fridge), all the rooms are close the pool as the place is so small and location is great.

Location: in North Beach, walking distance (5 minutes?) to the beach, Manolo for a latin breakfast nearby (awesome croissants), many restaurants (mostly Latin American and a great Italian - Cafe Prima Pasta), at the back of Collins Avenue, on the A1A.

For this level of service or lack thereof, it was expensive (on booking.com), it wasn't good value for money. I might still go back because I loved the location and there are not many options for (pretend/aspiring) boutique hotels around there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

My girlfriend and I shared one room and her sister had another at The New Hotel last weekend. We arranged a last minute trip to Miami and were happy to find, based on the Trip Advisor reviews, what appeared like a find: A reasonably priced, quirky, boutique hotel in the quiet North Miami Beach area, far from the noise of South Beach. In fact, when we booked the room, they emphasized that it was a quiet place. Unfortunately, from the start, the experience didn't match the promise.

The New Hotel also comes with Lou's Beer Garden, a very pleasant patio from which drinks and food are served. This would be fine and dandy if the music would stop at 11. Reasonable time, don't you think? Well, on Thursday night, the live band stopped at about 11:10 but then recorded music continued on until midnight. Our room was over the beer garden so we heard all of the noise. I live in NYC and am used to ambient noise but this kept me awake. This persisted on Friday and Saturday nights. When I complained, one of the proprietors said something to the effect of "hey, I've got a restaurant and a hotel to run". This, to me, is not the way to address an unhappy guest.

Another issue was the microwave. When setting up our trip, we asked whether there would be microwaves in the rooms. Yes, was the response. This was great because the place doesn't serve breakfast. Our plan was to heat up coffee and oatmeal and have breakfast in the rooms. Upon arrival, we found there was only one microwave for the two rooms. We mentioned this and were told 1. We don't want you to cook in the rooms because of problems with roaches, 2. We will get you the other microwave anyway, tomorrow (Friday). Well, on #1, why have the microwaves if roaches are such a concern? Plus we were only making coffee and oatmeal and would be scrupulously neat in any case. On #2, no microwave on Friday. No microwave on Saturday. If you're not going to get the microwave, why state that you would?

Next, roaches: The first night, a roach appeared in each room. This cannot be attributed to our cooking because WE HADN'T COOKED ANYTHING! Still, to be fair, roaches can be found anywhere in Florida, so this is really not a reason for a downgrade. In fact, THE PROPRIETORS WERE VERY QUICK TO RESPOND POSITIVELY to an upset girlfriend by getting rid of the roach (I failed in my attempt) and by spraying the room. Unfortunately they didn't respond so quickly to the roach in my girlfriend's sister's room.

One more thing: With all of the troubles we had, especially the noise, I asked one of the proprietors at check out for some relief on our bill. Mind you, I RARELY COMPLAIN and have never done this before. Her response was to accuse my girlfriend's sister of lying about the noise in her room, saying that room was "sound-proof" and that she's never had a complaint about noise from that room before. I tried to stay out of the personal attacks by saying that two, apparently contradictory things can be true (i.e. a person was kept awake by noise in a room from which no such prior complaints had been registered) but the proprietor persisted. Very unpleasant. She did give us modest relief on that room, 1/2 of 1 day's stay. But she wouldn't give us any relief on our room, saying that she already deeply discounted it. To me, this was maddening and illogical. We agreed on a price for the room. Not my decision to discount it. Whatever the agreed upon price, we should have been able to sleep in a quiet atmosphere all three nights. That didn't happen. We should've gotten relief. It's not our fault they discounted the room. It's not our fault the place was loud. Remember, we were told during the set up that the New Hotel was a QUIET PLACE!

Positives, you ask? Location is great, one block away from the beach, a very nice, Bollitieri-run tennis facility, and the great Sazon Cuban restaurant. The cleaning staff was fantastic. They allowed us free parking in the pharmacy lot next door. They have bicycles for guest use. Also a small pool in the beer garden. And, if you don't mind noise outside your room, then the New Hotel could actually be a good place--the Beer Garden looks like a neat atmosphere (although if you mind cigarette smoke, stay away, lots of smokers). If the proprietors didn't impugn our integrity and were more accommodating of our noise complaints, the grade would've been a little higher. But, as it was, I think this is a fair grade.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the street should be quieter.