“Great hotel creepy tour guy” 4 of 5 stars

Sherbrooke Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   901 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #128 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Perth, Australia
“Great hotel creepy tour guy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

Great location only 2 minute walk to the beach a street back from the main strip ocean beach drive. Also plenty of restaurants and shopping. Room was very spacious with a kitchen only recommendation would be to bring your own towels there were sometimes a few questionable stains on the towels.
Tour organiser guy at the front desk was kind of creepy and annoying. Not very knowledgeable and a bit rude we ended up just organising things at a shop across the road much easier!
Cafe bonjour across the road has good wraps and decent coffee!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

184 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Toms River, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

If your looking for a good location in south beach the Sherbrooke has that to offer but that's about it. When we first walked in I had a feeling as if something wasn't right. A tourist company had taken up shop where the front desk for any hotel should be set up. One of the workers called the owner to come greet us. The man was very nice but overall was not what we were looking for. The elevator was 100 years old and all 4 of us had to squeeze in with are luggage. He brought us to our room. As we walked in the air condition had not been turned on yet so the room was stifling, the owner asked us to not having it running as much as possible ! Really we were in south beach and it was bloody hot. For the money we paid we should able to keep it on at any degree and any time we like. After dropping our bag he had myself accompany him to sign our receipt. He brought me to his room alone. I am 25 years old women and that was a little uncomfortable and unprofessional. I went back up to my room and my coworkers did a run thru of the quarters. At that point they said we could not stay there for another minute. To say the room was dirty was an understatement : mold all along the refrigerator , old food still left in the microwave, urine still on the toilet seat ( sorry I couldn't leave this out), dust everywhere, our fold out chairs were sticking to the floor and the table was just as bad. The owner also told us he was going to enter our room everyday at noon to clean our garbage which we did not feel comfortable with. We decided to hit ocean dr and find a better place to stay. We ended up at the beacon hotel which was only 200 dollars more for our entire stay and it also came with breakfast so that saved us time and money. When we went back to break the news of us checking out, there was a man sitting in the hallway that looked like he was detoxing. I'm pretty sure we were the only guest checked in. Before we signed the paper to check out the owner wasted no time turning off the air ! I have traveled quite a lot but by far this is the worst place I've seen yet and I'm no stranger to hostels and camping. Take your chances.

• Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel and I can truly say is was the best hotel for value around. It is located central to everywhere you need to and just walking distance to ocean drive and IMean the main part not somewhere remote. Mitch runs the hotel and although it looks old inside its fine just to relax and sleep as you won't be spending all your time in the hotel in Miami. Don't waste money staying on ocean drive which Is just 30secs away from this hotel. Yes it's old but Mitch who runs it is fabulous and he will come around with his little dog who follows him around asking you whether you need sheets changing and new towels. He is truly a remarkable guy with many stories to tell you as he was there when miami was not what it is today! Just tell him you read the reviews on trip advisor from the couple who stayed in room 310. Give it a go for a few days and you will see why I have said this is the best option. Mitch Tel: 30 5532 09 58If you stay on ocean drive you won't get any sleep as all hotels are bars and play music till the early hours of the morning. This may sound appealing at first but trust me if you have not slept for 7 days your entire stay will be miserable and you won't be able to appreciate the days and activities in the morning or infact evenings.I'm not too keen on the tour guide there by the name of freddy. We had bad experience with him when we went with some other tour guide and when they came to pick us up freddy knowingly told them that we were not in even though he had seen us. Really shady guy and plus you don't need to use him as you will see why below. TourWhen you come out of the hotel go up Collins avenue right to the end. You will walk past the dash store on the opposite side and then at the end of the street less than 5 mins walk you will come to Walgreens supermarket. When you walk in to your left you will see a little stand will all tour info and guides with a female by the name of Patricia stood there. She offered us tours that were otherwise for $55 at $20 and loads at less than half the price.She may ask you to go to a timeshare  presentation that lasts 2 hours one morning where WESTGATE will persuade you to invest in a timeshare but DON'T DO IT! just humour them and leave and you will be dropped off to your hotel shortly after. They will also pick you up. At the end you get two gifts and you can get at rental at dramatically reduced price or two other gifts like going to sawgrass shopping mall for $30 for both. This would otherwise cost you $30 each! Then use the second gift for whatever you want like Everglades etc. The good thing is that one you been to Patricia and this WESTGATE presentation after that she will do trips for you for half the price ! This will save you hundreds unlike other guides trying to sell you ones at double the price. I know you have to sit through the presentation but just interested and you will be then sorted for every trip for your entire stay saving you lots of money that you can spend shopping. First I recommend you do the miami city tour so you have a good overview of what's worth revisiting and this covers most of it. We then went to key west via the our that Patricia arranged but the seats were not comfortable at all and the windows were dirty so you could not get clear pics as this is apparently a scenic tour. When you stay a this hotel go to the same supermarket - Walgreens and stock up in water and bits that you will need through out the day. Trust me paying $2 for a bottle of water soon adds up when you are there all the time and this won't cost you anything near that.

Patricia: 30 5244 7856

• Stayed November 2013
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Dear Travellers

I visited this hotel in November and I stayed at this hotel. The hotel has a tour sales person who is Spanish or Latin - I'm not sure. He was very aggressive in trying to sell tours to us which we found cheaper locally. Every time we walked into the hotel there he was in his yellow t-shirt constantly taunting us that we paid too much for your purchased else where and that we would be conned out of our money etc etc. he would constantly follow us out of the hotel and would tell tour guides who would come to pick us up at the hotel that we were not in or that they should charge us more as they were too cheap. We lost our tour on few occasions and tour operators would later call us and tell us that the tour operator told them we were not around and that we would be going with him. He ruined our stay on numerous occasions to the point we had to move out of the hotel. We saw him pushing his tours on passers by and perv on people's wives and girlfriends who stayed at the hotel. Other visitors told us that they too left as he was just too much. On one occasion he took a passers by camera and insisted he buy a tour off him. We then decided to go on one of the tours just to get him off our back even though he was more expensive. This did not stop here only to later find that we were charged extra when on the tour. It became clear that his friends were running this scam along side of him.

The hotel was fine but quite dated and dirty and not to mention over priced by a third at least. The wifi is great here and the location is good but you can get these with any hotel just few streets down.

The person running the hotel by the name of Mitch was great but we hardly around so we could never tell him how were constantly being harassed by the tour sales person downstairs.

In general Miami is great with nice people but you will see some very pushy Latins constantly trying to rip you off. For example we paid $12 for just chips and salad on washing to avenue when in London in would cost you around £4 at the most.

There are so many hidden costs here that you would not believe. The beach runs the length of Collins drive so anywhere you stay you will have the view and can walk to the beach which would be more quiet rather than people walking all over you.

I would also advise visitors to be cautions of time share sellers such as WESTGATE who you will come across when trying to book tours at the local supermarket. You will be offered promotional offers like car hire etc at a reduced rate which is great but will have to sit through a 3 hour presentation of buying a timeshare. AVOID AT ALL COST as you will see the aggressive sales tactics used to make £8k out of you then are there on your card. DON'T DO IT.

For shopping don't bother with adventura mall as these are all well above UK prices. Go to sawgrass and save yourself time.

I would recommend the Miami city tour which covers just about everything.

There is a charge for parking everywhere no matter so weigh up whether to take the bus as driving is not cheap considering the overall cost per day and the hassle of finding space.

Miami is a great place but don't give into sales persons pushing products and services on you. Be firm and say no.

Safe travelling !

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

I love this place it feels like home everytime I'm here. This is the second time I have stayed here and will continue to stay here, there is no need to go to another hotel. This is the only place I will stay when I go back. Will recommend this place to anyone and everyone traveling to Miami. See you in December.

• Stayed September 2013
Bytom, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The hotel is an ideal place to stay when having fun in Miami Beach. It`s just one block away from the sea and it`s still quiet and peaceful at nights. The owner is a very easy-going person. The rooms are spacious and really clean. There are many places to eat in the area but the kitchen in the apartment is also well equipped. I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: I didn`t notice any difference between the rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sheraton right on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale and paid over twice as much as this place and we like it much better here! I'm so glad that we left there early and came here, this room is twice as large,we have a kitchen, hardwood floors, huge bedroom and separate living/dining room, and FREE WiFi here (and it's fast speeds), we had to pay $10 a night for slow WiFi at the Sheraton. South Beach is so much more fun than Ft. Lauderdale, You are 2 short blocks from the beach right in the heart of the real vibe this beach has to offer--the action is from 5th street to 16th street and you're right in it, and yet, things really quite down once you walk over here to the hotel, so you are near the party, but not living in it. I'd much rather stay here then "on the beach", here you can get away from the noise if you want to.

A great tip is to talk to the valet parking guys just around the corner for parking; you just give them a call 20 or 30 minutes in advance and they'll have your car waiting for you. Bathroom is clean, the entire room is clean, the queen sized bed is very comfortably, I'm a big guy and I'm comfortable in the bed. The outside of the building is not good but it is being renovated right now, but no construction noise that I could hear. So don't let the outside fool you, this place is very clean in the room, I'd come here again. Mitch is a great manager, he'll help you with whatever you need.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sherbrooke Hotel? Share your experiences!