“A stylish boutique hotel in great location - will definitely be back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sense Beach House

Save Saved
You added Sense Beach House to your Saves list
Sense Beach House
3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   400 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #28 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“A stylish boutique hotel in great location - will definitely be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I recently stayed at the Sense Beach House and had a wonderful stay. I usually prefer to stay in larger hotels but the Sense had a good rate so I decided to give it a go. I was really pleasantly surprised by how well organised and beautiful the hotel is. The room was spotless with a stylish beachy theme, great Molton Brown toiletries (my favourite) and fantastic double shower. The restaurant does a really good breakfast (the best coffee we found in Miami) and bottomless mimosas were a nice touch. The location is perfect - one block to the main restaurant strip on Ocean Drive but far enough away that you can get some quiet time. Also a short walk to Nikki Beach (which by the way does a great Sunday brunch).
We will back for sure!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

366 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Such a lovely relaxed hotel. Extremely clean, large rooms and great staff. A really great chilled out atmosphere. We took our baby (I don't think they were expecting him!) and while not really geared to babies, they were so helpful and kind.
Pool area amazing.

• Stayed November 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I received very poor and unprofessional service during my stay at The Sense. It was a nice and clean boutique hotel overall, but the staff was inattentive and unreliable --- definitely not what I expected for the price. When I arrived after a long day of traveling, the woman checking me in was rude and unwelcoming. Since I had to wait for a room to be ready I decided to eat lunch in the hotel restaurant which ended up being a ~2 hour ordeal because the waiter never came back to our table even though the restaurant was not even half full. They offered "bottomless mimosas" with brunch but I was only able to get one because we never saw our waiter so I couldnt ask for another. An hour after checking out, I realized that I left my iphone charger in the room and asked if I could have it mailed to me (at my cost) and they told me that they no longer offer this service. Overall, really strange hotel staff and I won't be returning here next time I am in Miamia. I recommend staying somewhere else that takes their business more seriously.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My partner and I just returned from a week at this hotel and had a great time. We would recommend this hotel and certainly wouldn't hesitate booking this again if the price is right.
We were in room 12, a corner room on the middle floor with a wrap around balcony (mostly quiet with only a bit of noise from road). I would definitely stay in that room again. It was large, spacious and had a great bathroom. I wasn't keen on the memory foam mattresses as they seemed to retain heat so was often very hot, but the sheets were clean and nice.

The hotel provided beach towels and beach chairs - there were only 6 chairs so wouldn't cover the guests if they all wanted them at the same time, but we were glad that they offered this!

The staff were fantastic. They were all so friendly and willing to help out with any question you may have.

There are only a couple things which I think could be improved: the wifi internet throughout the hotel needs to have its signal boost as often it cut out in the room and was relatively slow when it was working. There was access on the roof, but it did cut out every now and then because the signal wasn't strong enough. We did find that a couple of the complimentary Molton Brown bottles, the shampoo appeared to be watered down as it was not a thick consistency - very watery. When replaced by the cleaning staff once empty we got the right consistency... We know exactly what this should be as we use these products in our home in London all the time.

We are frequent visitors to South Beach so know the area very well. This is definitely in our preferred area (south of fifth) and the quality of a hotel we like. I hope the hotel keeps up the cleanliness and quality to ensure that we come back time and time again. I would be disappointed to see something deteriorate as so often happens in South Beach.

Room Tip: We only know about room 12, which is what my review and pictures are based on.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

South Beach miami is basically divided between the art deco / boutique hotel area and the high rise hotel area. The Sense is perfectly located in the art deco part of town but not in the middle of the craziness but just at the onset on ocean drive.

Pros:
* absolutely great location (on ocean drive at the beginning of the row of restaurants / bars)
* new construction (around 3-4 yrs) which makes for great rooms / hotel - the vast majority of the hotels there are old '20s- '30s constructions that have been re-done at some point in time but many are still not what you would expect for the money
* very cool design inside / vibe
* pool on top where you can relax / have breakfast
* quiet and relaxing surroundings but just a minute away from non stop music and craziness
* one block away from the beach (they give you beach towels down-stairs + beach chairs)

Cons:
* being a very small boutique hotel the place has some very weird particularities - the closet had no hangers (never encountered this in any hotel, not even a 2 star) and when we asked for hangers we were told the place doesn't have any + our request was out of place (???) - we ended up buying hangers ourselves from Wallgreens (2 blocks away) to hang going out shirts, dresses and pants. not a big deal but for the money you would expect hangers or at least the hotel to go and buy some.
* sometimes a bit of weird service - see the hanger situation above + another time we had a problem with the A/C and we basically had to wait it out.

All in all a very good experience, would definetly recommend the place based on the location, the design and property age, but to get this place to 5 star for the price one pays they need to step it up on the service side of things.

enjoy!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
LA, Calif
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

As many have written, this is a charming boutique hotel a few blocks from the excitement of South Beach and a block from the beach. The roof top pool is small but designed so there is room for many, however we rarely had more than a couple people there with us. The rooms are clean and well maintained. It is a great value compared to the prices in the heart of SB.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights on the last lap of our Florida holiday. The position of the hotel was superb, Being at the quiet end of Ocean Drive and away from the busy and noisier South Beach area was an ideal positon for us and a bonus of being just across the road to the lovely beach. We walked a couple of times to Lincoln Road Mall which has a good selection of bars and restaurants and we also caught the bus there which took just a few minutes.
The hotel had a lovely laid back atmosphere, so laid back in fact that we found one of the receptionists asleep at the desk. Think he must have had a late night!!. However the staff were all so friendly and helpful with recommending restaurants.
We were upgraded on arrival to a delux room as there was a problem in the standard room we booked. The room was lovely so modern, comfortable, and fresh. There was a small balcony with a part sea view. You could just about see the sea through the overhanging trees. It was spotlessly clean and the bathroom had a lovely big shower.
There is not restaurant or bar but this didnt bother us with so much to chose from in the area.
We had a lovely stay at the hotel and would love to stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sense Beach House? Share your experiences!