“Nice hotel at a great location” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   400 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #25 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
“Nice hotel at a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

The Sense South Beach Hotel was the first stop on our honeymoon. We arrived in the hotel and they immediately upgraded us to a bigger room with partly Ocean view. The room was super big, clean and very chic...I love white a lot and the entire design was set up in white clean chic. I liked that a lot.

The bathroom is big as well but it needs new towels. Most of our towels were tattered but still clean, so we did not care a lot. The service in the hotel is quite friendly. The lobby needs definitely a bar. It is such a nice spot and the design is great but there is no bar...I think that is the only thing I would add to this beautiful spot.

The location is great. Everything is walking distance and the beach right in front of your nose. We highly recommend this hotel for a nice long weekend in Miami South Beach.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
BVI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We stayed here in November 2010. I have waited to write this review because I thought the hotel would take steps to remedy our situation. To date they have done absolutely nothing and instead made us feel as if we are to blame.
My husband & I had done a lot of shopping over the weekend. We returned our last day to find that some of our shopping bags were missing. They contained new designer sunglasses, an Apple TV, clothes from various stores such as French Connection and a reusable coffee filter from Williams Sonoma. When we later tallied our receipts we realized they contained over $700 worth of merchandise.
When we got back and noticed the bags were missing and that our room had been cleaned our first thought was that the maid accidentally threw them out. My husband went down to the front desk and the very nice gentleman behind the desk agreed to look with him in the dumpster. As they began to search they quickly found the shopping bags and my husband's relief quickly turned to horror when they found out that the only thing left in the bags was the resuable coffee filter- the one thing not of any value. As it became clear that they had been stolen by the housecleaning staff the young man helping my husband was super apologetic and absolutely appalled. He said that they would definitely remedy this immediately and that we would be taken care of. He then tried to call the manager but didn't get an answer. We were heading out to dinner but he said he would keep calling the manager and would find out what to do. He said at the very least they would comp our stay. We were distraught because we live on a small island in the Caribbean and can't just go out and replace the stolen items. When we returned from dinner he STILL hadn't reached the manager. We were flying out the next day at 6am but he promised that they would be in touch. They never called.
My husband has phoned repeatedly starting with the day we got home. They are claiming that because we never filed a police report that there is nothing that they can do, however it is not our fault that the manager never bothered to answer her phone while were in Miami. We have told all our friends about our experience and everyone agrees that it is the worst thing they have ever heard happen at a hotel. To have housekeepers who steal stuff out of a room is just apalling. We actually run a boutique hotel here in the Caribbean and if anything like this ever happened we would be bending over backwards to fix it, unlike the rude management at this hotel who have only made a horrific situation worst.
I would just say to anyone considering this hotel; DON'T STAY HERE.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

e went to Miami for 5 days which included a weekend ... we couldnt find any hotels for a good price ... so we checked in at the Marriot South Beach which was $ 200+ taxes for one night . After reaching South Beach ... we went to different hotels to check out the availability . We came across Senses South Beach which is on 4th St. on Oceans Drive. This is a new 16 room boutique hotel property & trust me it was an amazing place to stay.

The decor is chic , rooms are large & spacious with a small balcony , bathroom is good with a light sensor. The staff is the key to this hotel .

Alex is the absolute king of good times. Always helpful finding good deals , making calls for reservations etc. I would highly recommend Senses on Oceans Drive coz i personally checked about 25 hotels on Ocean's drive & all of them are Art Deco hotels with old furniture & built were built 50 yrs back.

Key Tips :
* This hotel is recommended for youngsters & couples
* Its on 4th & Oceans Dr & all the actions starts from 5th St ... so u are not in d middle of all
the madness but just one block walking from the action.
* Beach is right across the road
* Staff is very friendly specially Alex ... he knows all the rocking places in Miami .
* Ocean's Dr is an expensive place to stay but this place is absolutely worth the money.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

I was in town for business so I didn't want a typical loud and crazy Miami Beach hotel. This hotel looked interesting because of the excellent reviews and proximity to the beach. Overall I would recommend this hotel for its excellent customer service (Alex really is that good!), and clean & quiet rooms. I booked the superior ocean view room and could see the ocean partially but the balcony in the room was good.

Beware: even though the hotel and booking.com websites state they have a restaurant at the hotel they don't. No food is available at the hotel but there are plenty of places within walking distance. Also the pool is a about 2-3ft deep and is more of a very large spa than pool (with the ocean within walking distance no big deal).

Good: rooms are very "IKEA" like as far as minimilistic furnishings. Beds are super comfortable as was the bed. Customer service is some of the best I have seen in the world so where the hotel didn't perform always to 100% of my expectations Alex made up for it and then some.

So so: Booking.com was horrible with this reservations (messed up everything on my reservation and then said there was breakfast available when there wasn't).
No luggage rack in the room so was difficult to find a place for my suitcase. The iron and ironing boards was very dirty and had burns on them but Alex replaced right away. The bathroom lights are on motion detectors and like many people mentioned in other reviews they sometimes work and sometimes don't (they turned off when I was in the shower).

This hotel is a great example of an ok hotel but because the customer service is so great I would stay there again and again!

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel website
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We had a 2 night stay in June.
Rooms clean,rooftop pool lovely,valet parking,which you have to pay for or find your own street parking space.
Owner was chatty and friendly.
Easy to access bars and restaurants.
We all said it was ok/good

• Stayed June 2011
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

The welcome and the quality of the service all along our stay was to the perfection. The rooms are very neatly fitted and well decorated. The pool on the roof is just perfect to cool off. The hotel does not supply food and drink, but considering the offer in the surrounding there is no need to have it at the hotel.
In addition is located right on Ocean Drive, but just when it starts to be calmer, thence an advantage in terms of street noises.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I stayed two nights at this hotel during a conference trip to Miami Beach. My story with this hotel is that the toilet in the room is not functioning properly and got clogged every time I use it. And of course, the front desk refused to move me to another room. Other issues with the room: The bed is not comfortable. The AC temperature gauge is not very accurate. As a result the temperature in the room swings too much, which is uncomfortable particularly at night.

There are tons of hotels in south beach. I will not recommend this one. If you must stay there, stay away from room 207.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sense Beach House? Share your experiences!