“Douglas” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Clay Hotel

You added The Clay Hotel to your Saves list
The Clay Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1438 Washington Avenue, South Beach, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #109 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Miami, Florida
“Douglas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Just got back from four days at the Clay and after reading some of the reviews I was scared. I have to say- all in all- for the price I was very pleased. It was clean and pretty much what I expected. The people at the desk don't greet you with a smile but I guess that's what you get for the price. Location was great. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. For the price I'll walk two blocks to the beach. We didn't go to stay in the hotel room. We had a good time enjoying South Beach without the price tag.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I had problems with this hotel and do not recomend it.

ROOM - almost no water in the shower, no curtains in the windows (if you like the sun in your face at 7 o'clock be there!!) and the air conditioner was very noise (we had to turnn off at night to get sleep).

The vallet service - you pay U$ 20 a day and your car stay on the street (back of the hotel in espanhola way). they do not have a parking place. All guests cars stay on the street in a parkimeter area. They do not pay and you may have a surprise with a fine in your credit card.

When we saw our car on the street at night and in the morning we decided to cancel the vallet service (we had already paid all days U$ 80). The guy of front desk told us that he did the return of the difference (U$ 56) to my credit card and it not happen.
When I arrived and saw my credit card invoice I figured out that he didn't it and it was charged the U$ 80. Now I'm trying to refund this value directly with the credit card company

They weren't honest.

And finally, the housekeeper lost my pajama and anything was made to solve this situation. The front desk (a girl very rude) told me that she asked to the laundry company, housekeeper and looked for in the clothes and didn't found my pajama. Because of this, she said tha "your clothe is invisible and I ask to everybody and nobody saw you pajama". So... this is my fault that you hotel lost my pajama..... she said that "I personaly didn't lose your pajama, so sorry for you".

very disrespectful, rude and not reliable because they do not have safe box. Be carefull with your things.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

This was our second trip to south beach, we loved espanol way the first time and wanted to Stay right close this time. The clay looks great until you get in the room. Really a dump. Bathroom smelled of old cigar smoke. Tub was dirty. Sink did not drain. And I am not sure what that white stain is on the chair, but we are not sitting on it! bed was like a rock. On the positive the room had a safe if you needed one. And they had in room stir yourself coffee. They also had a refrigerator which we mistakenly used to store our ice cream in the freezer section..which didn't work. For such a cute locale and building, they have really done themselves a disservice. The one tiny window .. Do not stay here if you are chlostraphobic!...looked out onto a bunch of junk. Could be a cute courtyard but it is not.
Service was quick and okay but now that I think about it the guy The desk tried to charge us four nights instead of one night and there was a lot of credit card swiping which made me think I need to check my bill when we get home. They did call us a taxi quickly upon request.
Located perfectly and low priced, this could be a gem with a little more effort. As it stands it is a waste of a lovely old building on the greatest little street in Miami. Cmon guys..you can do better. Oh and we stayed in the "VIP" room. And I won't even mention the screaming room service lady that woke us up after a late night enjoying the sights and sounds of south beach.

Room Tip: If you are very low maintenance and want location and price..this is ideal.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
bogota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Location...location...location...This is all about this hostel. If you have a very limited budget, if you are a 100% backpacker, this is the place for you. It's not a nice hostel in terms of cleaning processed, but there isn't any other hostel for a USD20.00 rate that could offer sucha a great location. Beach is just two blocks away and just three blocks away you can find a cuban cafeteria where you can have lunch with beef, salad, white rice and beas for USD4.00. If you aren't a 100% backpacker you can always upgrade for a hotel room at the Clay and you can still enjoy the good location of this place and have a great breakfast or lunch for USD25-USD35.00 per person...good option in Miami Beach.
I had tried this place more than 15 years, once or twice a year, but not anymore, since I got my new sun glasses stolen in a dorm...I know! It was my fault!...because I left my bag with the glasses inside on my bed, and went to sleep. Next morning, the man that was sleeping in next bed was also gone. But they have a small safe box for your documents at the recepcion and you can use quarters to use it, and you can also have a safe with you and use the locker you have in your room for one small carry-on luggage.

Room Tip: If you aren't a backpacker, try a room at the hotel side of the place. Hostel isn't for you.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Porto, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We went there on Easter, the hotel rates in Miami were a bit high for me and my friend, so we decided for this hotel; our room was good, the staff was very nice and its location is great! It also has a good restaurant! I definetely recommend it!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Lille, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

It is what it is: a (relatively) cheap hotel in Miami Beach, 2 blocks from Ocean Drive, a block away from Collins Avenue if I remember correctly.
South Beach is quite small and, the prices are high.
Check out the prices on Ocean Drive in the Art Deco hotels, and their reviews, and you'll see that you could end up paying 2, 3, 4 times as much for a comfort that's not always perfect.
Having said that, the Clay Hotel is loud. Cleanliness seemed kind of optional in the room we had. We stayed there for a night in October and it sounded almost like it was the middle of Spring Break!
We were not in the main building, but in one of their other buildings down the street, which is supposed to be... less worse.
Bottom line: decent bed, sub-par rooms cleanliness-wise and loud building and excellent location.
If you are going to Miami Beach to party, then I guess it is for you.
If you want to relax and chill in a nice little hotel close to the beach,this is not it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
california
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011 via mobile

The only really special thing about this hotel is the location. I couldn't have asked for this hotel to be in a better place. Other than that we had trouble with the staff since we walked in staff was very rude and not helpfull whatsoever. The hallways smelt of weed. You have to carry your luggage up three up very steep stairs.We had to move rooms because of bug issues. The rooms were OKAY, and slightly old. This hotel could use renovating. Depending on your sleeping habits you might find the streets nightlife disturbing, personally I didn't. I would however stay here again because the location is perfect.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to The Clay Hotel? Share your experiences!