“It's alright if your on a Budget” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Lorraine Hotel to your Saves list
Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Lorraine Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2601 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140-4798 (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #178 of 197 hotels in Miami Beach
Wellington, New Zealand
“It's alright if your on a Budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Room was a bit dated, but everything functioned fine, and it was comfortable. Wifi worked well. Very close to the beach (the hotel will supply you towels free of charge - you just pay a bond). It's a solid 30 or 40 minute walk to the more happening parts of South beach. There is a restaurant right outside the front door at this hotel, but more choice if you do the 30 to 40 minute walk. Its a nice walk though if you take the coastal, board walk. I also extended my stay from 4 nights to 7 nights which they easily did for me and at a discounted rate which I requested. Breakfast was provided, not thrilling but enough. They have a funny comms system with the cleaners - quite unique - the reception staff are always talking to them on walkie talkie's. This place won't suit everyone, but it suited me fine travelling the US on a budget - so if your doing the same then I recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
lorrainebeach, Guest Relations Manager at Lorraine Hotel, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you. Your review is honest and paints the picture. We appreciate your staying with us and hope we see you again!

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cohasset, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I would like to thank the Lorraine Hotel in Miami for finally opening my eyes to how easy it is to make a bad hotel look good on the Web.

Having driven up from Key West during the day with my wife and mother-in-law, all three of us were looking forward to getting our heads down in a South Beach hotel. Sadly, this was not to be the case.

When we first approached the Lorraine, my first thought that reception was through what looked like a convenience store on Collins. After getting out and walking around for a bit, I found a set of stairs that led into the reception area - thankfully empty of the hipsters that seemed to be hanging around outside.

Parking the car was OK, but we were lucky to find a spot next to the hotel - especially as our stay was to be so short. To cut a long story short, we lugged our bags inside and then spent 10 minutes waiting for somebody to appear at reception (it was around 10 pm). When he did, I mistook him for one of the guests, dressed as he was in jeans and a t-shirt and carrying a towel. Imagine my surprise when this person then let himself in to the office and "checked" us in to our "deluxe room"...on the first floor, next to the office and the lifts.

My wife was already less than impressed and, after inspecting not only the room allocated but also one on another floor, declared that she would not stay there. The floor in our suite was filthy and the bedding would have been too dirty for a youth hostel in the 1970s. I then spent valuable minutes telling the "receptionist" that I wanted my money back...greeted with a shrug and the name of the duty manager - who would be there in the morning - on a scrap of paper.

I then lugged the bags back to our car, while my better half desperately searched for an alternative in her phone - an airport hotel some 25 minutes away from the Lorraine.

We were only supposed to stay for 2 nights and the hotel agreed to refund one night. Put it this way, losing $200 was a reasonable price to pay for NOT staying in The Lorraine. It looks OK online...the reality is somewhat different.

So I would like to thank the owners, management, cleaning staff and everyone else connected with this beach hotel for making sure that I will never book a room anywhere in the world without doing the requisite research...

Room Tip: It's close to the beach...nowhere near the fun stuff
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was so thankful that we had only booked one night at this hotel. The carpet in our room was so disgusting that when I walked on it with bare feet, they turned black. The shower was so disgusting that we wouldn't dare use it. The mattress was so bad, you could feel the springs. This is what we got for $237/day. Honestly, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Please, accept our apologies for not meeting your standards. We are in the process of removing the carpets from the only 3 rooms in our hotel that have them. The price paid is by no means our regular rate. You happened to be in town for one of our many high season events. This happens every year between February and April, and many days the rates double or even triple up. We see how this might give the impression that we are a higher category hotel. Truth is, if you paid that much here, the rate at any 3 or 4 stars hotel in the area was probably at least $100 more per night. The good news is, anyone who is not coming to town for an event can easily avoid the high rates by planing their stay around these busy dates. Our website allows you to play with tentative check-in dates to make sure you get the best possible price.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Little to no amenities. Received call from the front desk stating that there were multiple calls of smoking and room when there was no smoking at all such a hassle a specially with the threat of 250 dollar risk

Dear guest, the $250 fine is not a threat, it's a consequence that is enforced in any non-smoking hotel in the world. We might be a 2 1/2 star hotel (hence the modest amenities) but we keep our standards high when it comes to respecting the rules. We believe that's something all our guests appreciate. Thanks for your review.
Key West, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is an older hotel that has been updated. It is clean and the décor is modern. The staff is very friendly and helpful, especially Caesar. There was a very upset woman on our floor, about 9pm she was yelling and screaming. Complaining about her husband, about the hotel, she hurt her foot, etc. Caesar came up and she yelled at him! He handled it very professionally and she was quiet after that.
The bed is comfortable and the water in the bath heats up quickly. It is not a bad place to stay if you are use to "city noise" and/or apartments (we heard phone conversations from next door).

Room Tip: If I use this hotel again, I will try the third floor (top) as I would be further from the street no...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback and compliments to Cesar. We are all very fond of him cause he represents the standard of service we want to be recognized for.
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel is not what it is advertised to be. You have to lug your baggage up a flight of stairs to get into the hotel. There is no one to help you. I travelled with my sister from Toronto ON for a week in the sun. We paid ahead of time for a deluxe room with two queensize beds. The first night we were there. Feb. 20, 2014, we were put in this room on the main floor with a carpet so disgusting that I did not want to take my shoes off and walk on it. The bathtub had been painted and was corroded and we were not able to wash after travelling. I went to the front desk and was told that the only room available was a room with one bed. We indicated that we had paid a sub fee for a "deluxe" room and this was not it. The desk staff said they could not move us until the next day to a room with two beds that was not disgusting. The room was so bad I checked for bed bugs. The following day we were moved to a new room and. as many have said, this hotel has not had any loving care for many many years and is falling apart. Everything is in poor repair. The bathtubs are painted to look white. It is honestly not clean and not worth the price anyone has paid for a stay there. It is definitely not a 3-3.5 star hotel. The only difference between a deluxe room and a regular room is the inflated price. There is no parking, however, there is a city lot nearby as advertised. They neglected to say it is used by all of the people working construction in the area and the competition for a space is steep. One night we waited 47minutes for a parking space to open to park our rental car. The only redeeming factor is proximity to the beach, however, there are many hotels near the beach. Find one that is pleasure to stay at and miss this one.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
We are terribly sorry that you were not happy with your accommodations. We would like to make clear that we are not a 3-3 1/2 star hotel but a 2 1/2 (as indicated also here on Tripadvisor) We understand your frustration and are not making excuses for it, though. Thanks for your feedback.
Mitchell, SD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in between two trips. the first impression is not what you migh hope but the rooms are not bad. They accomodate trips to the beach and is real close. There is a great Italian restaurant a block away that we ate at twice.
The facility is clean but could use a little maintenance. one of the desk clerks was questionable but the next day they were very nice and accomodating. Good place to stay for a night or two in the city close to south beach - this is actually on north beach as south beach really starts about 15th st it appears. We struggled to find an affordable room and this was as close as we could come. There may be better buys on Collins ave to be found.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
lorrainebeach, Guest Relations Manager at Lorraine Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thanks for your feedback. I effect, prices for hotels in the area are increasingly high. We, instead, keep our rates fairly low. We provide the basics plus kind, attentive service. The rest (beach, shopping, nightlife, etc) is just a step away!

Been to Lorraine Hotel? Share your experiences!