“No manager on Duty?????” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Lorraine Hotel

Save Saved
You added Lorraine Hotel to your Saves list
Lorraine Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2601 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140-4798 (Oceanfront)   |
Ranked #182 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“No manager on Duty?????”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I booked this hotel over a month ago for a trip. My trip was canceled; in response I cancelled the hotel via Lorrainehotel.com. I was even given a cancellation number. My reservations was cancelled more than 3 weeks prior to my original check in date. Not only was my credit card still charged, but the customer service I received was horrendous. With all my years of travelling and communicating with people, I have never came across a staff as incompetent such as the staff at Lorraine Hotel (Natalie and Roberto). I was told for over a week that there was no manager on duty. I've never heard such foolishness before. How can a business operate with no manager or supervisor? Not only was my credit card charged without authorization, but I have yet to receive my refund that they allegedly issued. I thank God I did not stay at this hotel and you should reconsider this location as well. Next step, reporting them to BBB. Safe travel and Happy stay at another hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
lorrainebeach, Guest Relations Manager at Lorraine Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
It was a mistake. Once we noticed, we refunded your card right away. We also contacted you to apologize. Our manager was indeed not present. She was out of the country attending her father's funeral. Finally, your manners over the phone were not respectful and, we are sure, didn't reflect the way you wish to be treated by anyone.

211 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The size of the room and the bathroom was OK.
There was not even 1 chair in the room.
Safe on the floor is very disturbing for an older adult.
We could not fill the sink, so it was impossible to make light wash of shirt or socks.
Breakfast was served to late - starting 7:30 is far to late, and most of the times it wasn't ready even at that time.
Cleanliness - We found it OK, but we heard some others complaining.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your review. indeed, breakfast is served from 7:30am to 10am. For most of our guests, any time before that is actually too early. Many think we should even extend it past 10:30! We do our best to find a balance and satisfy everybody. Please, accept our apologies if we haven't met your expectations.
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at this place because we were looking for - an economically priced place to stay near South Beach. We got what we paid for, and frankly, what we expected: clean & comfortable beds, with aged furnishings & finishings, with few amenities, close to but not in South Beach, and in an older hotel. First impressions were quite good with the lobby, but it seemed any renovations ended there.

The continental breakfast was average (bread, cereal & fruit), and if you wanted a better coffee than the express Nescafe one there, we could easily get one further down the road. Access to the beach is less than a block and the rooms had a fridge, sink and burner, so that's good for anyone wanting to stay there for a longer period.

Some challenges in that the website says "full-sized beds", though they were actually queen-sized (good end result, I suppose), the hair-dryer's built-in fuse kept blowing requiring cool-down to reset, windows were from the 60s and wouldn't stay up/open, the wireless access on the top floor was non-existent, and the washroom was, well, just shy of being scary - though it seemed clean, we definitely kept our sandals on.

So, overall, you do get what you pay for and you are paying much less a price than you would pay for accomodations closer to South Beach. The price/value was definitely fair & if that's what you're looking for, then it's a good place, though I would personally suck it up and pay a higher price next time for something a bit nicer down the road.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. We have replaced some of the windows (now hurricane proof) since your visited. Warm regards.
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband I travel often and have resolved that most hotels are simply a place to crash for the night and don't ask much from a place...I read reviews here and decided to give the Lorraine a try. WOW, what a mistake!! The place was absolutely disgusting. The lobby is nice and gives a false impression of the cleanliness of the rest of the hotel. There was mold, mildew, missing tiles, dirty dishes in the kitchenette, a fridge/freezer that was FULL of frozen frost ( must have not been defrosted since 1971)... The entry door did not lock, we had to set up a makeshift "booby trap" with chairs to feel safe. And if that was not enough, I was not walking on the floor for 5 minutes in what was my clean pair of white socks when they turned a deep gray from the FILTH on the floor. They were covered in hair and I was disgusted. There was dark hair on the floor, back of the bathroom doors, this place seemed as though it had not been cleaned in years. I was bit up by bugs and could not wait to get out of there! I will never stay here again !!!!! EVER!!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

If you are from the USA, please DO NOT STAY HERE...... you will mess up a good thing. This Hotel is perfect the way it is now. When too many people from around the US tend to ruin things for others who really like to enjoy them ...like this hotel.... it has a large European guest list that have stayed here and will stay here. I felt like I was the only guest from the US in the Hotel. Mostly all Europeans..... The value of this place is only 1 of many reasons why this hotel will get my 5 star rating.

At first this location did not seem all that great when I pulled up. Boy was I wrong. (Enter only from the side entrance on 26th Street) It has a lot too offer. The Beach for one is one of the main reasons to stay. The place is clean and staff is really friendly. The only thing that could have been a problem for me is the parking...it can be hard to find a spot on the street but there is a parking lot down the street. they also have breakfast for you in the morning (continental) if you want it.

There are 2 other things that really compliment this place very well and that is the number 1 restaurant in Miami Beach called Indomania (in do main yah) is located at the foot of the steps to the hotel. Peter the owner of that restaurant is always on hand to take care of his restaurant guest. Peter wants everyone to enjoy his place. At the corner of 26 and Collins there is a bodega that can also a comedy to throughout the day and night with food, coffee drinks whatever you're needs are from sunscreen to a meal. ( spinach pie) .

SO THIS PLACE IS MY SECRET in South Beach. DONT MESS IT UP.

Jerry Ehrlich from the Great City of Philadelphia

PROS
The Hotel
The staff
The location
The Value
Oh can I say Staff again
I felt like I was the only guest from the USA
Corner Bodega
And having the #1 restaurant in South Beach next to the Hotel

CONS
I live in Philadelphia.....LOL

• Stayed December 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The hotel is clean and the rooms a good value for the price. If you are looking to spend time on the beach, the hotel is in a superb location. You will be a short walk to the sun and sand on the beach. If you go to the front desk and ask, they will provide you with a complimentary beach towel on your way over. You are not far from all the action on SOBE after the sun goes down either. The breakfast was pretty lean but anything free in SOBE is not to be scoffed at. This hotel is definitely worth the price just not much in the way of amenities or customer service. If you are looking for a no frills and clean place to stay, you will definitely get your monies worth.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Talk about a complete culture clash. I started at the perfectly sterile J.W. Marriott in downtown Miami and spent the best part of my vacation at the Lorraine. This is travel adventure in the highest. Clean, Spartan rooms. Mine had a balcony overlooking Collins Ave. First night the Europeans in the next room got a bit too frisky. However, the beach is a stone's throw away. Why else would you be here? A continental breakfast will get you fueled for the day. More goodies are in the grill/convenience store downstairs. You want elegant? Try Indomania in the building complex. A true beach hotel within (somewhat long) walking distance of South Beach action.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony overlooking Collins Ave.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
lorrainebeach, Guest Relations Manager at Lorraine Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your feed back! We hope to see you here in the near future. We're very glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we will be waiting for your return!

Been to Lorraine Hotel? Share your experiences!