“Great choice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #114 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Salisbury, North Carolina
“Great choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Small hotel in very center of South Beach. A bit worn but very functional. Comfortable bed. Quite room towards back on top floor. AC a bit noisy. Very clean. Continental breakfast in lobby. Wifi provided. Staff polite and helpful. Highly recommended!

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I had a nice experience staying at Princess Ann Hotel. Located minutes away from the beautiful public beach, upscale shopping (Sephora and Replay are right down the street), bars and restaurants, it's perfect for somebody looking to stay in Miami Beach on a budget. I was in town for work and was looking to be “in the middle of everything”, yet away from all the noise and partying so I can get good night’s sleep. Despite its location in a busy party area, the hotel is very quiet so it’d be a good place to stay for families.

Hotel staff is very friendly. Interior is a little dated but rooms are cozy and have all the things one needs for a comfortable stay. My room even had a microwave and a freezer (I actually needed both and was happy to have them available in the room).

So I found Princess Ann totally worth the money and would recommend it to a family or business traveler looking to spend a few days in Miami Beach on a budget.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I'll save all the emotions and get straight to the point.

PROS:
- excellent location. Close to everything. Bus stop is literally just around the corner.
- cheap for south beach (don't pay more than $100 even if it's high season)
- refrigerator in the room
- good room service
- staff is friendly
- beds are relatively comfortable
- no need to worry about bed bugs since mattress seemed new and wrapped in a plastic case
- there is a cute owl that lives outside our window. His serenades made it romantic for my bf and me.

CONS:
- the hotel looks like it's been stuck in the 70s and not in a good way. Everything is extremely old.
- TV is probably 20 years old as well as all the furniture. My grandma who lives in Ukraine owns a more modern TV than that. Nothing has been repaired or updated since this hotel was built.
- there is a smell of an old moldy building inside. It's not very strong so you will get used to it after a couple days.
- the front desk has nothing that you need. No ice box, no bandages, no lotion, no nothing. Don't bother asking and bring all your own stuff. This is not Bellagio, that when I called the front desk, 5 minutes later a service staff was at my door with a bottle of hairspray in a pretty bag.
- breakfast sucks! It's the same thing every day. You won't see fruit, granola bars or even yogurt. Same nasty pastries every day and two types of cereal. Could the staff at least try to mix it up? Does Walmart not carry any other crappy breakfast food?

CONCLUSION:
This hotel is one step up from a hostel. If you don't mind staying at Super 8 Motel or EconoLodge you'll make it out alive.

• Stayed December 2013

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I found my room to be a good space and the aircon and wifi was pretty good. Room had a shower and toilet which was nice but no elevator so you will have to carry your luggage up the stairs. Hotel is in a great location with the beach a very short walk away along with many places to eat at.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I'm currently here on vacation for five days. I hate it. The rooms are dirty. Do not trust the photos online. My room has roaches. Can't open any windows. My ac and tv turned off in the middle of the night. Bathroom is just nasty. Stains on the toilet seat. No iron. I didn't trust my mini fridge. Walls cracked and stained. The free breakfast sucks. It's predates muffins and coffee. I went down the block for a $5.75 breakfast which was worth it. I came in one day from The beach and the man at the front desk asked who I was and I informed him I'm staying here and showed my room key. As I turne around they were following me to my room;racist. I'm paying too much for this crappy service and also you if plan to have someone come to your room, you have to pay an additional $20 and they have to show I.D. I never heard of this. This hotel is great if you don't plan on staying in the room for too long.

• Stayed August 2013
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

If you're considering this Hotel you are probably looking for a budget room with emphasis on location. That is what I was looking for, but I have to say that I got more than that for my money. We stayed here for 4 nights and got a room on the second floor way in the back. Before arriving I had concerns about the queen bed not being big enough but no worries there. The bed was super clean and the rest of the room and bathroom too, however this hotel is old and you will find rust stains etc in the shower, all part of a normal dated room. The AC was very powerful but quite loud as a consequence, however our room never seemed to get that warm anyway (stayed in June). Room also had an older TV with questionable reception on it and an empty fridge that worked just fine and didn't make any noise at night. Best part was how quiet our room was, we stayed over the weekend and never heard a sound coming from the alleyway outside. Naturally the view was less than great.

The staff were all helpful and friendly. I talked a bit to the owner one morning and he takes his job very seriously, the place has video cameras in the hallways and the place felt perfectly safe, surrounding neighbourhood as well of course. The breakfast was not incredible but it wasn't bad either (and was included in the already low price), the selection is mainly sweet stuff and white toast with jam, tea, coffee, juice and milk etc. The breakfast is served in the lobby that has big couches. The people staying at the hotel were all around 25-35 and looked like perfectly normal tourists from both sides of the Atlantic. A big plus was the free beach towel service they offered, made going to the beach even easier. The wifi worked fine even though we were in a room far from the lobby. All in all we had a smoke free, bug free, dirt free, smell free, problem free stay so for the the price we payed I could not recommend this place strong enough.

As for the low ratings of this place I'm not sure. It could be that people payed more than we did or that other rooms are less clean? I doubt it, come expecting an older worn hotel with a great location and clean beds and you'll have a nice enough stay.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room ask for one in the back (end of corridor regardless of floor)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

OK, this is not the Ritz and I have stayed at better hotels, however, the staff were so friendly and accommodating that I gave it an extra rating based on that alone. The location is excellent and the price is very reasonable considering you are 1 block from Miami beach, Ocean Drive, and 7-8 blocks south of Lincoln Road Mall which is a fun change of pace once you get tired of walking up and down the main strip. We found parking on 12th street & Collins and they were able to give us a rate of $25 per night for 7 nights which was a lot cheaper than the parking lot on 10th Street.
There is a water pressure issue which I read about from other comments. That was a pain when having to wash your hair after coming back from a day on the beach but other than that, it was a nice hotel for the price.
One other thing, the rooms don't have a microwave which would have been nice but you can ask the front desk and they will happily let you use the one in the main area on the lobby floor.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Princess Ann Hotel? Share your experiences!