“Quick trip to Miami! ” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #155 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois
“Quick trip to Miami! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I had a great time while staying at ocean reef. I got there before check in and they held on to my bags while I hit the beach! Which is a block away! The staff was friendly. Marcelo was GREAT! My only complaint is that the pillows sucked. Would defiantly stay again and recommend!

Stayed July 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We came to the Ocean Reef suites on Monday, June 22nd, (booked through Expedia) but left about 2 hours after we checked in. The lobby smelled like bleach (coincidentally just like a few Yelp reviewers had mentioned--we didn't check reviews before booking, unfortunately), and so did our room. On top of this, they were painting the hallway, so it also smelled like paint.

My girlfriend is pregnant, so due to the smells we decided not to risk staying there any longer and immediately contacted Expedia to cancel our reservation, and they said it was fine (although Expedia is now blaming us and not offering any help--so that's some great icing on the cake). However, once Expedia contacted the hotel manager she just said no to a refund. We booked 4 nights, but stayed 2 hours and are now having to pay $400+.

The women at the front desk were not very nice (1 was more friendly than the other) and gave us attitude from the start, even before we checked in. We did bring our bicycles to put in our room, so I won't blame them for being cautious and hesitant about bringing the bikes in our room, but their first instinct shouldn't be to give us attitude.

We're still in the middle of this, so I'll try to update if anything gets rectified. This is after several emails and hours (literally) on the phone with Expedia and the hotel.

As far as the room goes, it was fine, other than the smell of bleach or industrial cleaning chemicals. We got a cheap room, so I guess you get what you pay for.

The family-run Italian place next door was great, so get some pizza instead and save yourself some headaches.

Room Tip: Best rooms are the ones in other hotels.
  • Stayed June 2015, traveled as a couple
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear guest, we took a few days to reply so we could go over your message and find out what happened.

First off, we want you to think again about your interactions with our staff. The lady that checked you in was surprised that you walked in through our door with two bicycles and stationed them by our desk. She then politely mentioned that normally our guests leave these kind of items outside the door. Please, try to see it from a different angle. As much as you enjoy your bikes, they are still vehicles that don’t belong in a public common area such as the lobby of a hotel. We have had guests in the past that came to ask if they can enter with them. Perhaps the surprise of our receptionist over your assuming that it was okay to leave these two bikes by her desk was interpreted by you and you wife as giving you attitude. Nevertheless, we can assure you that it was by no means a sign of aggression from her towards you. We talked to her and she mentioned she was concerned because she had assigned you a room upstairs (which would have made it really difficult for you to have the bikes indoors) but she was able to give you a room on the ground level. Yet, she was worried that you wouldn’t have enough space to walk around and offered you to lock the bikes on the railings of our steps, between the two buildings in our hotel.

After finding you a way to check-in early and helping you with your luggage to take you in person to your room (this was captured by our cameras, by the way) we are sorry to hear you still think our employees were not very nice.

Regarding the smell in your room and at the front desk, you might not realize it, but at the time of your arrival (we have you registered in our system at 1:22pm) we were still cleaning the rooms left by the people that had checked out at noon. You got a freshly cleaned room that probably needed to wait a bit before hosting a new guest. That’s one of the reasons our check-in time is at 3pm. Additionally, we ask you to keep in mind that our maids clean our front desk area three times a day: when they arrive, after check-out, and before they go home, and they use disinfecting products to keep everything very clean as it should be expected.

Finally, your reservation was “non-refundable” by the policies stated on Expedia. The option of a refundable stay was available at a slightly higher price at the time you made the booking and that could have been a better option. We did our best to accommodate your needs and, had you given us a chance, we would have gone even further to please you, by changing you to a different room. Instead, we learned that you had decided to leave us and we are truly sorry you didn’t feel we could do better. Please remember that you paid ahead of time, waiving the option to get any refunds, and gave your many via credit card to Expedia, not to us. This is a contract you made with them and they fully disclosed the terms to you.
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The suite has kitchen which is quite nice for family trip, but the bathroom was very narrow, and unclean.
Every morning the garbage truck makes huge loud noise. There is no parking, and during the Memorial weekend (until Tuesday), the street parking is banned.
The location is very good, quite close to Lincoln Mall, and just one block to the beach.

Room Tip: Get ground floor since there is no elevator
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Metuchen, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2015

The room is pretty and nicely decorated just like the pictures. The room needs two televisions. The one tv in the room can only be viewed from the couch but not from the bed. The room has two good size closets.
The staffs were very helpful and pleasant. The front desk person walked me to my room after I checked in.
Now the bad and ugly. The bathroom can use a little sprucing up. the painted tiles are peeling off. The shower curtain was dirty and the curtain in the shower had mold. the hindge of the bathroom door was rusty. The faucet was loose but functional.but was missing one of the screw cover on top. The Room had a funky smell that dissappered when the AC is on.

Room Tip: rooms in the rear away from the street
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2015

I had the opportunity to stay at Ocean Reef Suites 3 times and one word I would use to describe the hotel, location and staff is EXCELLENT. The hotel is very close to ocean drive, restaurant and shopping area. The room are clean and spacious. No complaints. So if you are looking for a place to stay, I recommend Ocean reef suites at south beach.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2015 via mobile

This motel was just fine for a couple of days, might be a little run down in the bathroom and the bed might need more cushion but overall it does the job. If you want 5 stars then stop being cheap and pay the price. Best part of the hotel is that they have a little grocery store in the lobby area opened 24/7.

Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2015

First off let me say that I was almost about to not stay here b/c of the no so good reviews.. but since there are no refunds I had no choice. The hotel has a shuttle (light blue van) that picks you up from the airport (MIA only).. The driver was decent... When I arrived (Like 7pm ish) check in was a breeze ($36 fee && $100 refundable fee). They checked my id gave me my room key && I went out one door into another building. My room was on the 1st floor.. the key worked fine. The room wasn't cold or smelly but the hallway kinda had a slight musky odor. My hot water worked great it was actually too hot the first night. Everything worked as expected. They do clean your room everyday except when you have a privacy sign out.. WiFi worked great too... All in all it was a good stay. Studio room #304 comes with microwave, small fridge, hot plate, toaster && small table. For the cheap price I paid (like $110 a night) this was a great deal... only thing I would comment on is during the day the heat from outside sorta seeps through the window quickly fixed by turning down the temp your a/c.. walking distance from a lot of stuff if you don't want to walk there is a local bus for 0.25 (quarter) that you can cstch..

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Been to Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!