“Prime location, questionable value” 3 of 5 stars

Ocean Reef Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1130 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #152 of 202 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Prime location, questionable value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was a perfect location for a one day stop where we wanted to be close to the beach. We knew what we were getting ourselves into as far as the current construction on Collins Avenue and that the place wasn't as high end as others but I still think it is a bit too highly priced for what you get based on our experience in 6 other locations along the Eastern coast of Southern Florida hot spots.

The bed in our studio room wasn't too bad but the worst is the protruding bed frame which you'll be sure to the hit yourself on each and every time you get off the bed.

The bathroom was downright scary.

However the staff was able to accommodate an early check in and the property is really in a great location. Recommended for a night, maybe two, but not for a full vacation.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Ian,

Thank you so much for your detailed and honest review. We knew our pros (like our great location and wonderful staff, always attentive and kind) Yet, it is highly important to take notes of the aspects that need improvement. We hope you come back and choose to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Here's what I want from a hotel:
1) Quiet room - I requested this and was assigned to studio 304. Perfect. I hear that other studios face noisy Collins Ave. Front desk clerk told me she does the assignments and takes these requests very seriously.
2) Mattress I can sleep on - I can't sleep on pillow top mattresses. This was a pretty basic mattress, but had enough support for my back.
3) Cleanliness.
4) Location - I needed to be near other folks in my party. Also, this hotel is a block from the beach.

Beyond that, the rust on shower curtain rod, worn towels, and fairly plain decor clearly make this a 3 star hotel. Airport shuttle never came, and is only scheduled infrequently. On the other hand, front desk personnel very helpful and welcoming. I also like having fridge, microwave and basic kitchen things in the room.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, we are glad you had all you ask for, our personal take very serious the special request from the guest, and we work hard towards our guest satisfaction. We hope to see you again.
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The hotel is ok, location is great! just where all the cool hotels are. The only point is that my room didn't have real windows, but a 'sort of' windows... so actually I could hear each single breath from the street during the night, which in SoBe is kinda crazy. Room and kitchen ok, bathroom very very old, and so are the towels. Shower gel and Shampoo bad quality.
The hotel is ok for max 2 nights as long as the rate is lower than other hotel in the same street.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest,

We are sorry to hear about your experience with the windows, which are hurricane impact resistance windows, South Beach tend to be a little noisy during the night and more on weekends. I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Temecula, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

It's somewhere to lay your head after coming back from the bar/club. I stayed in a room on the first floor and the shower/bathroom sucked. The water would seep out to where the toilet is because the drain was clogged I believe. We just had to wear flip flops at all times. Going to rooms numbered 300, the drains were leaking in the hallway and coming up into the carpet, which was pretty gross and smelly.

The suites are a good size, and have a fridge and microwave which is convenient. Don't expect anything fancy. Has almost a dorm room feel to the place.

Ocean reef is located in a great area and around the block from the beach, which is awesome!

The front desk was nice and helpful.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! We are sorry you had a bad experience with the bathroom, we know we have some improvements to make, and we are working on that. We hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Westbrook, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

For the price, I am very happy. The location is perfect other than a couple of drawbacks
* no parking included ( I did park across the street for $30 a day which worked out well)
* the street directly in front of the hotel was currently under construction. It was fine last year though And will be great next year. An inconvenience this year though.

We will be back next year!

• Stayed March 2014
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night before a cruise and it was excellent! We mainly chose it based on its location because we wanted to be close to the south beach strip. We arrived very early (7am) and the front desk was wonderful, they recommended some breakfast restaurants, stored our luggage, and told us they would have a room ready around 10am! (that was even quite early for their check in policy)

The room was very spacious, and the beds were great. My only concern was the bathroom was a little dirty and the shower seemed to have a mind of its own (temperature). Other than that, everything was great!

Not sure about value for price, because we used points for the room. I would recommend this hotel if you want to be close to the action of south beach! And the staff were great.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for your review, we hope you come back and stay with us again, we will more than happy to have you here for a longer stay.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel is in a great location, so it's a shame that they have let the rooms decay to their current state. The carpets are thread bare, the towel bar in the batch is broken off, the shower curtain rod is rusty, the towels have worn thin, and the furniture sucks. There are two window AC units in the room, each competing with the other to make the most noise while not doing a lot to cool the room. There was a lighted corridor outside my room, and the curtains did not adequately darken the room.

I booked my room on a third party travel site, so I did get a low price. But even at the low rate I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
We are sorry we did not meet your expectations, we work on the hotel's improvement all the time, and unfortunately we have to disagree with your comments. You can see by the comments left by other travelers that we are known for our comfortable rooms and excellent customer service, among other things. We hope you give us the chance to work with you again and change the first impression you had from us.

Been to Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!