“Time for a Renovation” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #154 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Time for a Renovation”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

The hotel is in a great location, so it's a shame that they have let the rooms decay to their current state. The carpets are thread bare, the towel bar in the batch is broken off, the shower curtain rod is rusty, the towels have worn thin, and the furniture sucks. There are two window AC units in the room, each competing with the other to make the most noise while not doing a lot to cool the room. There was a lighted corridor outside my room, and the curtains did not adequately darken the room.

I booked my room on a third party travel site, so I did get a low price. But even at the low rate I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
We are sorry we did not meet your expectations, we work on the hotel's improvement all the time, and unfortunately we have to disagree with your comments. You can see by the comments left by other travelers that we are known for our comfortable rooms and excellent customer service, among other things. We hope you give us the chance to work with you again and change the first impression you had from us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Lake Butler, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

As you know I went to Miami Beach this weekend and it was wonderful. Having never been I wasn't sure what to expect nor was I sure were to stay so When I found The Ocean Reef Suites located at 1130 Collins Avenue I was willing to give it a try. I asked around to a few people who lived in the area and was told it was in a great spot, close to the beach this was good news as we didn't have to drive once checked in. We also took advantage of their valet parking they had which at a decent price this meant parking was not an issue. Here is what the outside looked like.

We arrived around 4:50PM in the afternoon and was greeted by a very lovely young lady who checked us in quickly and efficiently. She was super sweet and helpful. The lobby was nicely decorated very clean and cheerful. Here are some photos of the lobby that I took.

Once checked in we were directed to our room which was only a little ways down the hall. We were also told if we needed anything at all to just ask. the hall was also nicely decorated as well as clean and nicely kept. Here is the hallway we walked down. That's our room we stayed in 105 it was AWESOME.

Once in the room we found everything we needed for a comfortable night stay from towels, to shampoo to even dishes for cooking and eating. It was like a little apartment. We soon discovered our remote didn't work but no worries the young lady who checked us in fixed it in a few minutes even brought extra fresh linen for the pull out sofa. I was truly impressed with the service we got. Plus everyone was so friendly. Here are a few pictures of our amazing room.

I've stayed in a few hotels over the years and this one is definitely top notch. Not only was the room clean and well kept but the service was wonderful. Plus we were walking distance from the beach, restaurants and shopping. Everything we needed was either in walking distance or supplied by the friendly staff. there was even coffee in the lobby if you wanted it.

On check out day the lady at the front desk was super sweet and helpful. She even offer to call a taxi for us which of course we didn't need but it was so nice of her to offer. Overall the best stay I have had in a long time I highly recommend this hotel. If you are planing on heading to South Beach anytime at all I recommend staying at The Ocean Reed Suites. I know when we go back down in June or July that is where I'm staying they definitely have my business from now on.(more reviews on my blog http://www.everydaylifes.com/)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Rebecca,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a beautiful review, we are glad that you have a great time here, best regards from the management and staff!
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed at the Ocean Reef Suites Hotel in Miami Beach for one night. The location is great, bear the beach, shopping area, restaurants and bars. The lobby of the hotel promises a far better experience than the roomi had, a studio, which had worn out carpets, broken tiles, stains on the furniture and had hairs on the bed linen and on the shower walls. With a little cleaningup, this could be a better experience and worth the cost.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and we wish you can stay longer with us next time you are around.
PERTH AMBOY, New Jersey, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

No ice machine...? Where am I, the Gobi desert???

I read a review of this place prior to going on the trip... "no hot water".... and I figured they HAD to have that fixed by now. Guess what... they hadn't.

There was hot water, actually, but you needed a very fine, surgical touch on the cold water tap in order to turn it on just a little teeny, tiny bit, so as not to end up with COLD WATER! Looks like a problem with not enough water pressure on the HOT side, so the cold always "wins" when it meets the water-saver in the shower head.

The end result was a very weak, temperature-mental shower... I could be more graphic, but then you wouldn't see this review, I bet...

Staff was nice, but obviously clueless, since they didn't warn us about the shower techinicalities - you'd think they'd be all over that, given the # of unhappy campers they must have hosted.

Room Tip: book one somewhere else. You get what you pay for.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Perth,

We are sorry to read that we did not reach your expectations, we hope you give us the opportunity to work with you again, we will made amends to change the opinion you have from your first experience with us. Plus, return guest get 10% discount.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is a great place to stay at in south beach. I have stayed at 3 other hotels in south beach and honestly speaking this is the best one. The room was clean and the staff had excellent customer service. The pictures you see online are exactly what you see at the hotel. The hotel location is close to everything and just a short walk to the beach (and they provide beach towels). I found my new favorite spot in south beach.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Shakira,

We are delightful with your comments about our hotel and customer service, guest like you make us work beyond our limits towards a complete customer satisfaction. We wish you choose to stay with us again in the future.
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

great service, comfortable beds, clean rooms, kitchenette, mini fridge, no crazy additional charges, great location, 1 block from mansion nightclub, 1 block from the beach. great prices. only complaint was a little noisy due to construction, but that is not the hotels fault.

Room Tip: suites were great.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you very much for you wonderful review! We hope you choose to stay with us again!
Vadodara, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I first stayed at this hotel last year and was very happy so booked it again this year. After a day full of hectic meetings, I need time and peace to relax and at the same time I don't want to be far away from the night life and attractions the city has to offer. This hotel fits the bill perfectly. Its one block away from the beach and all the famous and lively bars, clubs and restaurants on the road next to the beach. Being a block away makes it peaceful and at the same time near everything i want. There are more than 3 public parking facilities within a 5 minute walk. Hotel and rooms are clean and good. Every room is a suite with a kitchenette, microwave etc. The only negative for me was the lack of a restaurant to serve Breakfast. I have been staying there for the last 2 years and plan to do so again in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Rajat,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us such a nice review, for us, customer satisfaction is our goal, and we work hard as a team to reach it. We certainly loved having you here and hope you visit us again!

Been to Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!