“Not Sure Why People Rate It So High” 2 of 5 stars

Ocean Reef Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1130 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #156 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Gaithersburg,MD
“Not Sure Why People Rate It So High”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Another couple along with my wife and I stayed here for 3 nights this past week - mostly based on the reviews from TA. I can honestly say that this was the worst experience I have ever had with a TA hotel that was reviewed so well.

Our friends arrived a few hours before us and when we called them to ask how the hotel was - all they could say was just wait and see for yourself.

We arrived and checked in very quickly and easily and went to our room. At first glance - not bad. A decent sized suite with table, chairs, microwave etc. The nice thing about this room was that there was a tv in the sleeping area and another in the living area.

We went next door to look at our friends room. They specifically requested a room with 2 tv's as the wife has trouble sleeping and watcheds tv - so if the 2nd tv is in the living area it won't wake up her husband.

Their room only had 1 tv although they specifically requested a room with 2. Their ceiling fan had soooo much dust on it that it could not have been cleaned in at least a couple of months. The bathtub was worn and stained and was just dirty. The ceramic tiles in the bath were cracked and disgusting.

On the table was a little candle holder with 3 votive candles in it. This was all burned out and looked like someone had poured curdled milk in it.

Overall their room was something you would find in a rent by the hour motel if anywhere.

We went to the front desk and asked if they could switch rooms. They could but the only room available did not have the 2 tv's she requested so my wife and I took that room and they took our room.

The next morning when we met our friends for breakfast they told us that while the appearance of the room was better - the toilet was not bolted down and the seat was not tightened so when you sat down it would move significantly. When trying to take a shower - the water was either scalding hot or freezing cold. They could not get the valves to mix the water properly.

The room we took on the first floor at first glance was ok. However the shower floor was disgusting and gross- so much so that I wore my flip flops into the shower each day. The shower curtain was filled with soap scum. There was never a bath mat or anything to walk off onto. The room had a very dank smell and the place overall just felt gross.

To their credit, when my friends complained and showed them what their original room looked like (through pictures as the manager did not have the time to take a look at it in person) they were comped one nights stay.

The gentleman that was on the desk over the weekend (Marcel?)was extremely helpful and tried to do the best he could to make our stay pleasant. He is the biggest asset this place has.

I see no need to return to Miami or South Beach but if I did I definitely would not stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
We apologize to you and your friends for not meeting your expectations and understand there are specific things we should be taking care of. We are not making excuses for that. We just want to make you, and any future visitors, aware that our rooms have only one TV (only two rooms out of the 36 in our hotel have 2 TVs) Although we try to honor special requests as much as possible, we don't make promises we can't keep and we are always honest with our guests about it. With this, what we are trying to say is that it shouldn't be a surprise to find one TV in your room because that's what we offer. Again, we apologize and make a commitment to improve the areas of our service we are having trouble with.

359 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Westbrook, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Loved the location right on Collins. We stayed for 3 nights until leaving on our Friday cruise. Very clean in our room. Close to the on street shopping, dining on Ocean and the beach. The hotel was ok, but really did not spend alot of time in the room. The staff was great and really helped alot when my flight was late to Miami. Check in was quick and easy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
We are happy to help in any way we can. Thanks for your appreciation. We hope to see you again soon!
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Staff was very accommodating especially Mauricio who stowed our luggage until we could check in and Jenny who let us check in a little early. This was the only place we could find that didn't have a two night minimum and we just needed one night before our cruise. Marcelo checked us out the next morning and made sure we got a taxi to the port. Everyone here was very friendly. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms here are good
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your kind comments about our staff. It's encouraging to be reassured we are in the right track when it comes to customer service. Warmest wishes to you!
Solvang, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Overall, this hotel wasn't bad. I spent a lot of time reviewing hotels in the area and it seemed like a decent place in a good location. I would say my initial research proved to be correct. Compared to my "way of living" it was not up to par. However, compared to South Beach's "way of living" it wasn't bad. South Beach is a dirtier place than I am used to. We stayed here two different nights, once before our cruise and once after. The second time around was in a better and larger room, which was also cleaner. The first room was a little dirty and we had to plunge the toilet every time we used it. The second room the towels were dirty and had black hairs on them (my husband and I do not have black hair). Both rooms had dirty pillows and blankets that just felt grimy. The stair railing was literally detached from the wall in one of the buildings and was not safe at all.

However, the staff and customer service were amazing. Both times they got us into our room way before 3 (the check in time). They also held onto our bags while we were waiting for our rooms to be ready so we could wander. Beach towels were provided which was nice as well. Also, the location was amazing. Walking distance to everything! The look of the rooms was nice and the small kitchen was an added bonus. We stayed in the studios both times. The free wifi was also great. If cleaning was more of a focus, I would have rated it better. Cleaner towels, sheets, and pillows would have been nice.

Room Tip: If getting a studio, they are larger in the building attached to the reception area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ORSuites, Public Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your detailed and honest review. We knew our pros (like our great location and wonderful staff, always attentive and kind) Yet, it is highly important to take notes of the aspects that need improvement. It's been unfortunate, but we have been renewing our housekeeping staff and that took a toll on our service. We are confident that we have finally put together a solid team, and that this will be reflected on the cleanliness of our rooms.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at the Ocean Reef Suites with some friends. You cannot get a better location. Right in the thick of the South Beach action. The hotel was ok, but really did not spend alot of time in the room. The staff was great and really helped alot when my flight was late to Miami. Check in was quick and easy. It is a small store right outside the hotel which really helped alot when needed food or something to drink. If you are looking for a hotel in the thick of the South Beach action this is the hotel for you. I will stay here each and every time I come to South Beach..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you very much! We look forward to your next visit. Also, please remember that returning guests receive a 10% discount when booking through our website. Warm regards from everyone at the Ocean Reef.
Herndon, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I went on a cruise in May 2012. Then decided to stay in Miami for a couple of extra days. The staff was so friendly and nice. The room was beautiful and the location was perfect. Everything was very close (stores, beach, restaurant etc) It was perfect. I loved it. Will definetly be staying here again :-)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you! We appreciate your trust in us. Happy 2013, my it bring you back soon!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

The location was great - located on Collins avenue ( one block from Ocean Ave). The exact location was next to a construction/renovation site of an apartment complex. It is next to a bar and has a "restaurant" attached to it. It is by far a MOTEL, not a hotel. Construction and materials of the room were shotty. Wore flip flops into the bathtub because it was not that clean. Maid service was basically a turn down and light dusting. I was also asked to pay in full up front and told that if I wanted to leave early, it would have to be approved by a manager. I only stayed because everything else was sold out due to Art Basel week. Pictures depicted on site are deceptive. I will post the pictures on trip advisor. NO ocean view or pool or a real valet (some guy will come and take your car to park in a garage a couple blocks away for $25 a night).

• Stayed December 2012
ORSuites, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Reef Suites, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Thanks for your review. We are happy to inform you that the construction/renovation work in our hotel is finally over!!! We thank you for giving us a chance. While your photos are from the outside of the hotel, another recent guest has posted some pictures of their room were you can see that we are not a motel. We hope we can serve you again in the future.

Been to Ocean Reef Suites? Share your experiences!